Photo

Action Menus, Install Discs, And More...

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#16 Phantasm

Phantasm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:37 AM

Hey BJ, Just a quick question for you...In the next release, Will there be a way for me to back up a game in the DVD tray to the HD right in the UI? Right now I am using BoXPlorer to back up my games, but it would be eaiser if it was an option in the dash itself. I'd also like the ability to name the directory myself if that would be a possibility.

Great work as always!

#17 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Phantasm @ Sep 9 2003, 07:37 AM)
Hey BJ, Just a quick question for you...In the next release, Will there be a way for me to back up a game in the DVD tray to the HD right in the UI? Right now I am using BoXPlorer to back up my games, but it would be eaiser if it was an option in the dash itself. I'd also like the ability to name the directory myself if that would be a possibility.

Great work as always!

I'll see about throwing that in there, now that there's a valid COPY Action command.

Let me cogitate on it a bit... I've got some ideas on how to implement that. wink.gif

#18 thetruethugg

thetruethugg

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:08 PM

What about something like <action>COPY D:\* F:\Game##</action>, and MXM would look at the last number (for instance 01), and know to copy the files from D: to "F:Game02"..

Edited by thetruethugg, 09 September 2003 - 02:08 PM.

#19 Phantasm

Phantasm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (thetruethugg @ Sep 9 2003, 03:08 PM)
What about something like <action>COPY D:* F:Game##</action>, and MXM would look at the last number (for instance 01), and know to copy the files from D: to "F:Game02"..

Thats what XBcopy did & it sucked because when you wanted to delete a game, there was no good way of telling what folder to trash, short of running the default.xbe in each one.

#20 Schweeze

Schweeze

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:55 PM

it'd be nicer if one could name the game directly before/after you copy it... that way you can keep your stuff straight...

all these different suggestions show how lazy we really are.... i love it.

#21 PuddWakkr

PuddWakkr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:38 PM

I'm even lazier than you guys tongue.gif . MXM can already look at a default.xbe and read the games name. Can't it look at the default.xbe it's copying and name the folder accordingly.

#22 oswald

oswald

X-S Genius

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:kicking ass and taking names in the BST forum
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:27 AM

yeah thats what I was thinking, in the release thread, I proposed a simple two action setup

MKDIR F:\Games\$CurrentTitle
COPY D:\ F:\Games\$CurrentTitle

Edited by oswald, 10 September 2003 - 12:27 AM.

#23 thetruethugg

thetruethugg

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:49 AM

Yea, oswald's got it. I forgot how XBcopy did things, and how it sucked. That's why I always used XCommander..

#24 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:17 AM

Well, I may consider having some "environment variables" ala DOS - you set it with a function type argument that would extract the game title from the XBE, for example.

I haven't had time to work on it tonight, but I might have some time tomorrow to do some things.

I am also considering some rendering functions for menu ("GUI") actions - rendering a message box, for example, over the previously rendered screen.

Understand: While the "Actions" are executing from a menu selection, everything is suspended. I have to create a routine to handle looking at the input and one to render some simple elements like message boxes and such.

It will be very simple - think along the complexity of a DOS batch file... for now. The BASIC actions will be far more complicated, though. In that case, I plan on spawning the BASIC Actions as their own "process", suspending normal input until they finish (but allowing the skin videos and such to continue executing) - they will be able to bring up dialogs and perform other goodies.

So in the end, there will be two ways to "program" your own menu items: <Action> scripting and <Basic> processes. Basic will be far more powerful... and you'll be able to call "Action" commands from within Basic programs.

Edited by BenJeremy, 10 September 2003 - 02:18 AM.

#25 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 02:32 AM

OK, Action Scripts now have the power of gamepad input (that support will grow, but for testing and evaluation purposes, just gamepad right now)

"WIP" beta testers will be able to play with this a bit. More rendering options will also be introduced, so even more powerful scripts will be available.

I'll probably also add the ability to launch action scripts from files (ala BATCH files).

To do: The ability to change configuration, menu items, and read/write files using Action Scripting.

#26 koldfuzion

koldfuzion

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Sep 18 2003, 04:32 AM)
I'll probably also add the ability to launch action scripts from files (ala BATCH files).

the single most important thing you are doing with the kfa action scripting. damnit BJ.. u R da freakin man! Imagine a MXM world of script saving to xbox to perform tasks, maybe not on a daily basis.. but to accomplish specific tasks that would normally be a little difficult for the normal user. A simple import.. a complex dash built on simplicity.

#27 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 04:16 AM

OK.... I didnt even have time to test the last WIP and the new commands come out. I'll try my DVD Game List project once again with the new WIP.

#28 sprkthead2

sprkthead2

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (Phantasm @ Sep 9 2003, 12:37 PM)
Hey BJ, Just a quick question for you...In the next release, Will there be a way for me to back up a game in the DVD tray to the HD right in the UI?  Right now I am using BoXPlorer to back up my games, but it would be eaiser if it was an option in the dash itself.  I'd also like the ability to name the directory myself if that would be a possibility.

Great work as always!

I use dvd2xbox it does this already, it automatically does a media check, creates the folder with the name of the game. You can specify were to save it by modifying the xml file.
example:
- <main>
<dumpdir1>f:games/comics_movies</dumpdir1>
<dumpdir2>f:games/fighting</dumpdir2>
<dumpdir3>f:games/misc</dumpdir3>
<dumpdir4>f:games/racing</dumpdir4>
<dumpdir5>f:games/shooting</dumpdir5>
<dumpdir6>f:games/sports</dumpdir6>
<dumpdir7>g:games</dumpdir7>
<dumpdir8>e:games</dumpdir8>
<dumpdir9>f:videos</dumpdir9>

I categorized my games, this way I can tell dvd2xbox which categorie to copy the games to. biggrin.gif

Edited by sprkthead2, 18 September 2003 - 05:21 AM.

#29 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 10:22 AM

Adding media patching shouldn't be a problem... though it's not in there yet. As ActionScripts are interactive, and include the ability to manipulate environment variables, you should be able to use it to create fairly complex operations, including selecting a "genre" to dump your DVD to.

#30 DBZRacer

DBZRacer

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 04:22 PM

Hey BJ, is there a check command you can implement to see if there is a valid DVD Game or Movie disk in the drive? Here is a what I have come up with so far in regards to launching DVDs from my XBOX DVD Game list:

CODE

<Action>
BeginDraw UseCurrent
MessageBox "Press A to Launch DVD Game Title or B to Cancel"
EndDraw
Input
If %_GP_A% == "1" GOTO APRESSED
If %_GP_B% == "1" GOTO BPRESSED
QUIT
:APRESSED
If DVDCheckHere == "1" GOTO LaunchOK
If DVDCheckHere == "0" GOTO InsertDisk
QUIT
:BPRESSED
MessageBox "Disk Launch Cancelled"
QUIT
:LaunchOK
LaunchDVD
QUIT
:InsertDisk
TrayOpen
MessageBox "Please Insert Disk"
</Action>

My goal is to create a list of all my XBOX titles on DVD so I can easily see them with previews on my xbox hd as well as maybe my DVD Movie collection in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users