• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trafnar

trafnar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:11 AM

i modded my box with an x2.1 lite, used a flashing cd, then a bios cd.. everything worked fine.

now im modding my friends box, with a x2.2lite, ive read the flashing tutorials, i made the flashing cd, i put it in, it ran a progress bar across the screen, it shut down. now it frags on startup after triple boot.

if i switch to bank two on my modchip, i goes to the cromwell bios flash screen. i thought that my problem might be the bios i was using was not 1mb, so i got the disc i used on my frist xbox, which had a 1mb bios, and it just says 'cd regonized: new' and doesnt do anything else.

does my bios need to be 1mb?
is the bank1/bank2 made for installing 2 diff bioses?
if i mess up bank1 can i flash bank2 and just use that?
do i need to get a programer thing?
why cant i flash bank2??

thanks so much for your help. i searched around a bunch, i hope this isnt redundant.

#2 thepurpledino

thepurpledino

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:34 AM

never encountered this problem... However.. it's good that you can still get a Cromwell bios running on bank two..

Follow these steps exactly when creating the bios.bin disk..
Flashing Intructions

Create a 1MB bios using the directions from System-mods.. I'd go with version 4977 (256k) 4 times to make a 1MB bios. Then boot up and insert this NEW disc.. let us know what happens

When I got my 1st batch of X2.2's with the new Cromwell, they wouldn't recognise my bios disk I'd been using for a while with OXFlash.. So I followed the direction on the above link, and it worked perfectly.

Good luck!

#3 trafnar

trafnar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 02:57 AM

thanks a lot for your response.

I'm trying what you said now. im earasing a disc.

but im still confused about hte diff beetween bank1/bank2.. are they 1mb each?
should i be making a 512k bios because i only have one working bank??

anyways, im gonna try the 1mb with a new disk and all.

ill give the update in a bit, as to how it went.

#4 trafnar

trafnar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 03:32 AM

it worked laugh.gif laugh.gif

thanks so much dude, your my hero.

#5 Ozzyrulz

Ozzyrulz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:21 AM

id like his bank question answered if anyone can.. because i would like to run the linux bios on one and exu on the other... or run 4978 so i can install evox through its ftp and then switch back to 4977 in the other bank
Thanks

EDIT:

just read the 2xmb readme file

on the xecuter 2 lite, the bios select switch swaps between banks 1 and 2
there fore splitting the 1mb in half. to ensure valid bioses are made
dont straddle 512k bios's over banks 1 and 2, keep them in 0-1 and 2-3.
if you want to use 256k bioses with the x2l mirror them in each 512k bank

so i just have to split it up inbetween the 4 banks right? 1-2 = bios for bank 1 and 2-3 = bios for bank 2. and i can switch back and forth.. the reason

Edited by Ozzyrulz, 09 September 2003 - 04:30 AM.

#6 speedbump47

speedbump47

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:28 AM

I believe that the built in EvoX flashing util will flash the entire 1 MB on the chip, regardless of what bank you are currently on.

The X2 lite does have 2 banks (each 512K), but with EvoX you can't selectively flash only one bank. Team Xecuter did release a flashing util that will let you selectively flash banks. Haven't tried it myself.

If you're going to use EvoX, best way is to make a composite bios (half X2, half Linux). Just make sure you make the 1MB bios properly, otherwise, since you're flashed the whole chip, you won't be able to fix it without an external programmer or someone to hotswap with.

Edit: The default setup for 4977 is to boot evoxdash first. So if modchip is on, and you've selected the bank for 4977, it will boot evox. Don't know what the linux half will do.

Edited by speedbump47, 09 September 2003 - 04:29 AM.

#7 Ozzyrulz

Ozzyrulz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:39 AM

lol thanks.. i figured that out about a min later but thanks... hmm so do u know if u need cronwell to boot linux? cause i want to put linux on my HD and then just swap banks when i want to load linux (im a linux admin so i must have linux if i have an xbox wink.gif )

Thanks again for your quick relpy

#8 speedbump47

speedbump47

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:50 AM

Honestly I don't know.

I know Cromwell was made for Linux, but I don't know if Linux requires Cromwell. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users