Photo

Should I Put Something Behing The Jewel?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:20 PM

I looked at a few tuts, and posts about installing jewels, and I didnt seem to see anything about this.

I have a clear jewel (thanks xport) and I have a circular Cathode fan light. I dont want to see the cathode light (the act bulb itself, not the light). All the pictures i see in these forums, I see jewels, and they are clear like mine, but you never see the light through the jewel. How is that done?

Im guessing you put a piece if thin paper (like tissue paper, or tracing paper) so the light could still glow through. Anyone who installed has their jewels w/ a light, post what you did, or if you did anything at all. thanks

#2 powerben5000

powerben5000

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:42 PM

I have a clear jewel (thanks xport) and I have a circular Cathode fan light. I dont want to see the cathode light (the act bulb itself, not the light). All the pictures i see in these forums, I see jewels, and they are clear like mine, but you never see the light through the jewel. How is that done?

I can't speak for anyone else, but the cathode I have is actually just larger in diameter than the xbox jewel. The cathode produces a lot of light so it doesn't have to be directly beneath the jewel for it to glow nicely (it looks better if you can't see the light source IMO)

This is rzyzzy's jewel with a blue cathode and blue construction paper behind it. Mine is done the same way but it's green instead.
user posted image
Here you can see the construction paper behind the light. Note that the cathode is mounted with hot glue around the hole,not directly beneath it, so you can't see it from above.
user posted image

My jewel, done the same way, with Guinness. A very nice effect, no painting required.user posted image
user posted image

Edited by powerben5000, 09 September 2003 - 09:48 PM.

#3 MettyX

MettyX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:21 PM

mmmm Guinness beerchug.gif

you could also use tracing paper, or wax paper behind the jewel.

#4 olah

olah

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:02 PM

i just taped a piece of white paper on mine. white during daytime, night time its blue..cool stuff

#5 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:36 PM

I used 6 LED's placed around the ring of my jewel. To dilate the brightness of each LED (and so you can't see them) I used an old plastic folder which was frosted white. I cut a circle (also stuck on an Atomic symbol) and placed it on top of the LED's, but under the black casing that the jewel sits on.

Looks pretty good IMO

user posted image

#6 _1_

_1_

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (powerben5000 @ Sep 9 2003, 05:42 PM)

user posted image

Now that is A LOT of glue, i just did 4 spots and it was more than enough wink.gif

#7 havocaose

havocaose

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:37 AM

my cold cathade blinds the young and old sad.gif

#8 rocketman121

rocketman121

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (_1_ @ Sep 9 2003, 07:58 PM)
Now that is A LOT of glue, i just did 4 spots and it was more than enough  wink.gif

I used 3 dots of glue.

user posted image

user posted image

#9 rzyzzy

rzyzzy

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:29 AM

Now that is A LOT of glue, i just did 4 spots and it was more than enough

You're right, it is a bunch of glue, the reasoning behind it was that I wanted all of the space between the cathode and the jewel to be filled with glue, to give it a "fiber-optic" effect ( those jewels have a big lip on the bottom side of the case) , also, since my jewel mounted from the bottom, I was using the glue to hold the cathode and the jewel in place. I was a little concerned that the hot glue might not hold if it was just a little blob of glue, and since I'm almost done modding that box, I wanted everything *permanently* attached. Plus, since that cathode is sooo tiny and fragile, I figured it was worth it to make absolutely certain that it was encased in glue for protection.

A side-benefit of filling the void space with glue is that you can drop your backer ( in my case colored construction paper) onto the glue while it's still hot, and it will stick in place nicely. Another backer I might try on my next mod would be a mirror or mylar ( chrome looking plastic). There's another poster here who used that, and it looked nice as well..

Good luck, be sure and post pics when you get it done!

#10 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 September 2003 - 03:33 AM

funny he said he uses construction paper behind his. I searched for, well kept an eye out for all kinds of green paper that would match the color of my led. Secret was, you dont look for that color at all. Actually you look for the color that is a part of what the paper + cathode combine. Paper is one shade of green, cath is another. So gotta find the paper with just enough blue, or yellow, it took a while but i found an almost exact match. Other things i tried were the plastic school folders that are transluscent or thereabouts, and Foil gift wrapping paper (green). I tried both putting the transluscent materials on and behind the jewel, and i tried putting them flush with the case, with no wrinkles. I settled on posterboard with very bright green and flush to the case for green for one case. The really cool thing about it being flush and smack on top of the dvd and hd, is when you really polish a jewel good, it has a magnifying quality about it and you see that from the side. Anyways thats how ive done my green box and its gonna look good when its painted.

#11 MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 12:33 PM

interesting....
I knew that had to be something behind those jewels.

So what do you guys think would be the "definitive" material to put behind there?

#12 theDeviL

theDeviL

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 02:34 PM

what kind of glue its that? can I get a name?

#13 Byrdclaw

Byrdclaw

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 02:41 PM

plastic glue... also known as a hot glue gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users