29 replies to this topic

#1 strangeduck

strangeduck

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 05:31 AM

Hey, so I first started using FlashFXP to transfer stuff from my PC to my XBox, and it was going at like 250k/sec. I told my friend (who modded my box for me) and he was like "use CuteFTP, FlashFXP sucks, I get like 4mb/sec with CFTP." I tried it, and it did increase my speed to around 650k/sec, which certainly is an improvement, but at the same time a far cry from 4mb/sec. I tried WS_FTP also, that gets 550k/sec. I tried installing Speed2k which I saw elsewhere on the forums in a similar thread, but this had no effect. My network situation is like this: My PC is hooked to a Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 802.11b wireless router through a Linksys WUSB11 (wireless USB adapter), and the Xbox is hooked to the said router through one of its wired ports. Anybody else using a similar setup and getting better speeds, or know of any techniques to increase speed using my setup?

#2 nonzero

nonzero

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 08:43 AM

I don't know much about networking but I think the reason that you are getting crap speeds is because of your router. I'm quite sure that USB devices have a limitation in terms of speed.

Why not get hold of a RJ45 crossover cable and connect the XBox directly to the PC and use FlashFXP. I use it this way and the speed is unbelievable.

#3 Brecher22

Brecher22

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 09:17 AM

unbelievable?? I do the same. But I need 30 minutes for 1GB. This is not fast!

#4 Hammy

Hammy

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 September 2003 - 09:54 AM

I use a crossover cable and i use WS_FTP V8.1 and i get 7 to 8mps

#5 alanmp3

alanmp3

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 09:56 AM

it all depends on your PCU speed. Am i not right?

#6 strangeduck

strangeduck

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:25 AM

What's PCU? Unless it's a typo for CPU smile.gif

#7 nonzero

nonzero

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:50 AM

Ive got a 2.5 gig with 1 gig of RAM and I can pull a gig of my Xbox within 20 minutes....

You may have noticed a lot of gigs in the above statement... tongue.gif

#8 ReKlaTs

ReKlaTs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 12:02 PM

Don't use a USB network connection. The speed on that thing is limited and you'll forever be slow.

Get a real network card and router. Better yet, get a switch not a router. A nice 100 mb switch would fix you right up mate.

#9 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2003 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (strangeduck @ Sep 11 2003, 11:31 PM)
Hey, so I first started using FlashFXP to transfer stuff from my PC to my XBox, and it was going at like 250k/sec. I told my friend (who modded my box for me) and he was like "use CuteFTP, FlashFXP sucks, I get like 4mb/sec with CFTP." I tried it, and it did increase my speed to around 650k/sec, which certainly is an improvement, but at the same time a far cry from 4mb/sec. I tried WS_FTP also, that gets 550k/sec. I tried installing Speed2k which I saw elsewhere on the forums in a similar thread, but this had no effect. My network situation is like this: My PC is hooked to a Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 802.11b wireless router through a Linksys WUSB11 (wireless USB adapter), and the Xbox is hooked to the said router through one of its wired ports. Anybody else using a similar setup and getting better speeds, or know of any techniques to increase speed using my setup?

Yep we found your problem. You should never use a USB connection in your networking setup.

You'll need to install a real ethernet port into your computer (simply add a network card) and you should still be able to use the router you own, just ignore the USB port.

I can't believe they even make (or that anyone would buy) networking componenets that connect through USB.

I didn't even think you could buy a computer these days without an ethernet port (and therefore you would not need or want to use a USB connection for networking).

Edited by Mr Ed, 12 September 2003 - 12:19 PM.

#10 NightL1fe

NightL1fe

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (strangeduck @ Sep 12 2003, 02:31 AM)

Buy a 7200rpm Hard drive.. speed jump up to 7-11mb per sec..

i'm guessing you have a stock seagate drive right now?

#11 ReKlaTs

ReKlaTs

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 02:25 PM

Bah, I've read no proof that the 7200 does anything for XBox.. ?

#12 NightL1fe

NightL1fe

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (ReKlaTs @ Sep 12 2003, 11:25 AM)
Bah, I've read no proof that the 7200 does anything for XBox.. ?

have you installed over 58 xboxes this year? have you FTP files to 58 Xboxes? have you upgrade over 30 .. 120GB hard drives and FTP with them?

Or have you even went to the Genral forum and read the 15 page long thead on how to increase FTP transfer rate?

Stock Hard drives only give 250kb to 750kb transfer
7200rpm 120gb drives with 2mb - 8 mb buffer will give you 7-11 mb transfer on the same network same cables ..

if you want proof.. try to do a little reading .. nobody is going to do your job for you.

#13 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2003 - 05:39 PM

Over 58 XBOXes huh? So that would be 59? jester.gif

Seriously though, if you've seen the difference I'm willing to believe you, but ponder this. The DVD drive is slower than the HD, no question right?

When I ftp off my DVD drive I get over 1000KBps (KiloBytes per second) or 8000Kbps (Kilobits per second) or over 1 megabyte per second sometimes even 2MBps. The hard drive should be even faster. If I can get those speeds off the DVD drive, you should be able to get at least those speeds off the stock HD.

Edited by Mr Ed, 13 September 2003 - 01:09 AM.

#14 jaywalker_z

jaywalker_z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:22 PM

you'll get good speed off the DVD with a good DVD wink.gif i.e....Phillips or Samsung...FTP from a crapy Thompson will give you about 650-750kb/s. Over Thompsons and even better over a Samsung you'll get around 1500kb/s...see I specify AROUND, cause some like to pretend they can get 2000 and up because they are talking of PEAK speed...I'm talking about the average when you're done FTPing your game. Off the stock hard drive seagate you'll get a FTP speed around 8000kb/s...I haven't tried the 7200rpm drive cause too many ppls report overheating problem and no significant gain...but as I have to test something on a new drive tonight I'll use a 7200rpm for sure just to be convinced...you know all the bulls**t we can find on the net wink.gif

#15 NightL1fe

NightL1fe

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (jaywalker_z @ Sep 12 2003, 03:22 PM)
you'll get good speed off the DVD with a good DVD wink.gif i.e....Phillips or Samsung...FTP from a crapy Thompson will give you about 650-750kb/s. Over Thompsons and even better over a Samsung you'll get around 1500kb/s...see I specify AROUND, cause some like to pretend they can get 2000 and up because they are talking of PEAK speed...I'm talking about the average when you're done FTPing your game. Off the stock hard drive seagate you'll get a FTP speed around 8000kb/s...I haven't tried the 7200rpm drive cause too many ppls report overheating problem and no significant gain...but as I have to test something on a new drive tonight I'll use a 7200rpm for sure just to be convinced...you know all the bulls**t we can find on the net wink.gif

ya Ed .. he's right.. it depends on what state your DVD drive is in.. how new and clean your laser is. i personally know that everyone who has kept thier stock 10 gig seagate the slim Hard drive only get speeds from 250kb to 750 kb ..

all the upgraded HD's with 7200rpm all transfer at 5mb-11mb ...

many times i even trasnferred to backup thier old drive.. and install a new drive.. booom FTP speeds starts in the 5mb to 11MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users