2 replies to this topic

#1 FPCat

FPCat

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 02:40 PM

Stupid me, when installing an XIR remote kit, somehow I seem to have created a short between pin one and two on the PCB that has the power switch, LEDs and eject button.

I removed the XIR and desoldered the mess, but I still get the short! When I plug in my Xbox, it either powers on and off randomly by itself, or just stays on and the power button doesn't work.

Is it possible I've managed to fry something? Looking at the board I don't see anything sensitive. I'm temped to drill out pin 2 and relocate it elsewhere on the board, but I'm afraid I'll just make it worse.

I'm fairly sure this my problem 'cause if I don't plug in the front panel PCB, the Xbox doesn't come on (as I would expect)

Does anyone have any advice? I feel kinda dumb cause I've done a few D0 solder jobs without ever having an issue, and this solder point is huge in comparision!

Thanks

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 September 2003 - 02:46 PM

the PCB that the front LEDs and the power/eject buttons are on is VERY delicate
I've done hundreds of solder jobs for modchips on just about ever console...

When I did my LED mod I wasn't paying attension and burned one of the traces of that fron pcb off easily with a 15Watt IRON!!!

my only suggestion to you is to go on ebay or that llamma site and see if you can buy a new front PCB

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/parts.htm

#3 FPCat

FPCat

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 03:24 PM

Well, that makes me feel better.... At least I'm not the only one to screw up that board.

I guess I'll try removing wire 2 from the connector on the PCB, cutting where it connects on the power switch and connecting them together. Not a lot to lose at this point... The power switch is a very important component of the Xbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users