32 replies to this topic

#1 scooby_dooby

scooby_dooby

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 08:19 PM

After reading the thread about which is the best dashboard, i decided to install MxM cause everyone said how PIMPed it ws, and how screenshots didn't do it justice,

"You have toi see it to believe it" kinda thing,

and i was totally dissapointed, it was hard to navigate the menu's, i prefer the simple evoX menu much better, seems like to much space was taken up with informational panels and there was no room for the menu.

I tried a bucnh of different skins, and really didn't think they were much cooler than the Halo evoX skin. My plan now is xbmp as default dash with a cool skin, sicnce xbmp is nice and clean, lots of room for menu's, and isn;t buggy like evoX when it comes to launching apps.

I know alot of work went into this, so i'm not bashing the app at all. More just wondering what all the hype was about???

#2 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 September 2003 - 08:53 PM

well...
i guess you dont have good taste... im not bashing your taste, im just wondering why your posting?

#3 pakaveli

pakaveli

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (scooby_dooby @ Sep 16 2003, 10:19 PM)
After reading the thread about which is the best dashboard, i decided to install MxM cause everyone said how PIMPed it ws, and how screenshots didn't do it justice,

and i was totally dissapointed, it was hard to navigate the menu's, i prefer the simple evoX menu much better, seems like to much space was taken up with informational panels and there was no room for the menu.

I tried a bucnh of different skins, and really didn't think they were much cooler than the Halo evoX skin. My plan now is xbmp as default dash with a cool skin, sicnce xbmp is nice and clean, lots of room for menu's, and isn;t buggy like evoX when it comes to launching apps.

I know alot of work went into this, so i'm not bashing the app at all. More just wondering what all the hype was about???

i totally agree, i installed mxm for the same reason...when i installed mxm i found the skins weren't sharp at all and were poor quality...maybe it's cause i didn't install the good ones (can anyone recommend any good ones wink.gif)...but i did install a couple and found they weren't too impressive. I found evox to load quicker and navigate much better. But like scooby_dooby said i'm not hating on mxm, it's just an opinion

Edited by pakaveli, 16 September 2003 - 09:06 PM.

#4 Nathan561

Nathan561

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:48 PM

Each to their own i guess... blink.gif

#5 theultimatechuff

theultimatechuff

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:02 PM

It is personal choice and a lot of the skins are too busy for my liking. Before giving up take a look at d:Void and Generator skins, nice and simple and pretty.

#6 Habs69M

Habs69M

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:18 PM

(can anyone recommend any good ones wink.gif)

WaterWorld 3.0 biggrin.gif

Many good skins out there for MXM, the fact that you dont like it is up to you, i personaly hate Ava as a dash for now anyways but its still installed among all the other dashes.

If you like simplicity (menu only) you will go for Evox
If you like the original dash well you might try the hacked ms dash
If you like a dash with a good visual aspect, good ftp, skinable as hell smile.gif , with a author that works with the user you will go with MXM
If you like gadgets (not bitching here) you will go with Ava

Bottom line you choose the dash that suites you best, i like to skin my dash (not just a background image as Evox) but being able to adjust font size and position, add video to my creation and sound, i just think MXM rocks, for me anyways smile.gif

#7 tracy2420

tracy2420

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:RC,PC,XBOX,VIDEO PRODUCTION

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (pakaveli @ Sep 16 2003, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (scooby_dooby @ Sep 16 2003, 10:19 PM)

i totally agree, i installed mxm for the same reason...when i installed mxm i found the skins weren't sharp at all and were poor quality...maybe it's cause i didn't install the good ones (can anyone recommend any good ones wink.gif)...but i did install a couple and found they weren't too impressive. I found evox to load quicker and navigate much better. But like scooby_dooby said i'm not hating on mxm, it's just an opinion

Well, why dont you try skinning one for yourself. It cant be done in just one sitting such as evox. Like all things practice makes perfect. dry.gif

Edited by tracy2420, 16 September 2003 - 10:35 PM.

#8 ub312g0d

ub312g0d

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 02:55 AM

mxm launcher is a cool skin. But seriously, MXM takes like an extra 5 seonds longer to start up then evox and the next release is going to have almost the exact same features that evox has plus alot more. The only thing that will be missing thats major is flashing. Which I personally dont think is something that should be handled by the dash due to a possible background issue screwing up a flash. And seriously, the menu's were hard to navigate?! wtf were you on man, it involves pressing up(to go up), down(to go down), a(to select) and b(to go back). Infact, that seems an awfull lot like evox's controls!

Edited by ub312g0d, 17 September 2003 - 02:58 AM.

#9 InVisager

InVisager

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 07:44 AM

definately the wrong forum to post in for this statement m8 wink.gif

You cant compare Evox with mxm, they are completely different dashs.

Evox works...and thats about it, you can load your games etc, but thats about it.

mxm has a world of options, and i do agree with you when you say there are a lot of crappy skins...there are, LOTS of crappy skins wink.gif but there are also some gems.

#10 sandman2869

sandman2869

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 01:17 PM

I have been using MXM for about a month now. While I love it and love the features that are here and not in other dashes (such as the preview videos, damn I love those), I'm not sure what you mean by

mxm has a world of options,

what type of options are you thinking about? I'm not knocking MXM, nor am I bashing you, I'm just thinking if we can be as specific about the "options" as we can be, it might help scooby_dooby as well as others, figure out all the hidden goodies.

My favorite things about mxm in a nutshell are:
Having an ftp server that supports passive mode (sweet fxp!) as soon as the xbox is turned on.

the preview videos for the games and how they are auto detected (unless you don't want to name them mxm_ss.wmv).

I love that it is xml based as this is (for me) so much easier to understand (I work with xml at work every day heh).

Anyway, I was just hoping people could help scooby_dooby by being more specific about the things they like instead of just saying "it's mad sick" or "it kicks ass"........

#11 KAC

KAC

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 01:39 PM

Newsfeeds & Music. Something that Evox doesn't support.

#12 deflux

deflux

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (KAC @ Sep 17 2003, 03:39 PM)
Newsfeeds & Music. Something that Evox doesn't support.

how much time do you actually spend in the dash to listen to music or read the news, i find myself in there for a few seconds, launching xbmp or a dumb xbox game tongue.gif

#13 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 September 2003 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (deflux @ Sep 17 2003, 04:02 PM)
QUOTE (KAC @ Sep 17 2003, 03:39 PM)
Newsfeeds & Music.  Something that Evox doesn't support.

how much time do you actually spend in the dash to listen to music or read the news, i find myself in there for a few seconds, launching xbmp or a dumb xbox game tongue.gif

Ages...i use it as a music system now with MXM...

#14 KAC

KAC

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 02:49 PM

how much time do you actually spend in the dash to listen to music or read the news, i find myself in there for a few seconds, launching xbmp or a dumb xbox game 

The first thing I do when I get home is turn on my xbox and listen to music while I hang out around the house. MXM serves as my jukebox, to sorta speak. All I do is hit the power button and BAMM!! Music plays....no need to launch anything.

...so I guess you could say that I spend a lot of time on the dash.

#15 KAC

KAC

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 02:50 PM

Ages...i use it as a music system now with MXM...

chillin_dude, sounds like you use it the same way I do. I bet youd appreciate the request I just made up in the pinned MXM request thread. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users