26 replies to this topic

#1 shjon25

shjon25

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 12:04 PM

Ok, this is great and all that this feature has been implimented but I would like to know what the max HD is that can be used now. I have a 160 in there now and it works great, I'm using all 160gb. If I choose to put a 250gb in there, will I get the full 250? i.e. Get 137 in c:e:f:x:y:z: and another 113 in g:? If so that'd rock, I didn't see mention of this anywhere as to what it's new max gb is.
uhh.gif

#2 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (shjon25 @ Sep 18 2003, 02:04 PM)
Ok, this is great and all that this feature has been implimented but I would like to know what the max HD is that can be used now. I have a 160 in there now and it works great, I'm using all 160gb. If I choose to put a 250gb in there, will I get the full 250? i.e. Get 137 in c:e:f:x:y:z: and another 113 in g:? If so that'd rock, I didn't see mention of this anywhere as to what it's new max gb is.
uhh.gif

People have used 300GB drives with success - and can use the entire 300GB (of course, there will be FATX filesystem overhead, but it's minimal).

If you're putting a new 250GB drive in, there's no need to create a G: for the space above 137GB - you can just make your F: drive fill-up the entire remainder of the drive. You only really need F:/G: split if you're upgrading an existing hard drive (which already has an F: up to 137GB that you want to preserve), or if you plan on booting non-LBA48-enabled bios's, and still want access to your F: drive in that situtation.

- Paulb

#3 moistness

moistness

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 18 September 2003 - 12:13 PM

i believe the maximum hdd size is now several terrabytes!!

#4 oz_paulb

oz_paulb

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (moistness @ Sep 18 2003, 02:13 PM)
i believe the maximum hdd size is now several terrabytes!!

Theoretical limit: about 2.2 Terabytes (max physical size of drive when using 32bits for a sector #).

Actual limit: unknown (but quite big) (I suspect FATX may have some max partition size issues - but you could create multiple partitions if that's the case)

- Paulb

#5 Cannibalistic

Cannibalistic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 September 2003 - 01:51 PM

How can I use my current 120GB HDD and "ghost"/"clone" its image to a new and bigger (200+GB) HDD? Do I need to create this G: partition?

If so, what program should I use?

Thanks in advance.

#6 eightbit

eightbit

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Cannibalistic @ Sep 18 2003, 03:51 PM)
How can I use my current 120GB HDD and "ghost"/"clone" its image to a new and bigger (200+GB) HDD? Do I need to create this G: partition?

If so, what program should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Its the same process you used to put the 120gb in the first time.
FTP Your current hard drive off, install new hard drive, format new hard drive, FTP your data back.

#7 hoju22

hoju22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 06:51 PM

i think what he's asking is if you had a 120 before and say you upgrade to 250, can you use norton ghost and clone the 120 onto the 250 and have the remaining 130 in g.

i wanted to know if you need a special bios for all this?

#8 Cannibalistic

Cannibalistic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 September 2003 - 10:10 PM

That's exactly what I was trying to say. I bet they can't recognize the XBox's File System.

#9 olftboy

olftboy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 02:04 AM

Yes, you can use norton ghost. Check http://www.xbox-scen...s/clone-hdd.php

He mentions using identical size drives for the copy, but I did copy a 120 to a 160 with no noticable problems. Do this at your own risk though.

Cannibal - using the method described above doesn't require the computer to "understand" xbox lingo.... wink.gif

#10 Agen_T443

Agen_T443

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 02:20 AM

so if i put a 200gb hdd in i would get 190gb or so in f dirve
is that right

#11 HeadCse

HeadCse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:16 AM

I have installed a 160GB Maxtor HDD in my system. I have also added the EvoX 3921 to Slayer's Install. I have added the "Format G: & Use G Drive in the evox.ini file. However when I go to format the drive all partitions show up including G. But, there is no space on G and F isn't any larger. What am I doing wrong? Will slayer's install not do this correctly? Is there another way to properly partition the drive and format correctly? Do I need to add anything to the Executer Bios? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#12 Grammaton

Grammaton

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:20 AM

Are you using bios that supports HDs larger than 137?

#13 quik22

quik22

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:56 AM

you need to get a clean copy of a bios, and then use xbtool to make it support hard drives bigger than 137 gb. then send that file to your bios folder within evox, and flash it onto your chip. make sure that you have the correct file size flashing over, or else you'll have an incomplete flash which could render your modchip useless...

#14 HeadCse

HeadCse

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 02:13 AM

Is there a good tutorial on how to use XBtool to modify a bios to make it compliant with larger hard drives? I've read alot about modifying the evox dash, but somewhere i missed modifying the bios?

#15 loupham

loupham

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 10:25 PM

I have evo 3921 install and xbtool bios 4976.02 to have LBA48 enable and "Partition 6 Takes up to 137GB/ Partition 7 take rest". Flash new bios, reboot and everything is good so far. I ftp using flashxp and do a raw formatpath DeviceHarddisk0Partition7 and see the number and did a formatdrive 'number' ...

I see the G drive on flashxp but there is no free space ... am i missing a step or something ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users