46 replies to this topic

#1 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 10:57 PM

Before we start, a quick explanation of locking.

Hard drives can be locked by a 40-digit hexadecimal key. When one boots up their computer, the hard drive cannot be accessed until this key is used. Unlocking a hard drive will keep it unlocked until power is cut from the hard drive. Disabling the lock destroys the lock entirely, making the drive unlocked even after a reboot. Therefore, using hddisabl (disables the lock) in step 14 can be dangerous, if one forgets the key to the xbox drive, etc.

The lock code for your stock xbox HD and your replacement HD will be different. Remember this, and don't try to interchange keys. It won't work.

Warning: Locking your replacement HD with a mistyped code could result in your drive being unusable. If this is to happen, check the contents of your floppy. There should be a text file created in there with the last key entered. Use that to unlock your replacement drive again biggrin.gif

Note on Error 6 (Cannot unlock HD error)- Results from either a mistyped key when using hdlock, or a bad key given by the wrong EEPROM generated by Evox. Use the 007/MA hack to retrieve the eeprom. Again, I cannot stress enough making sure you do not mistype the key when you lock the Replacement HD.

TUTORIAL ----------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Read this through before you start.

[b] Part 1 - Collecting Keys and Preparation - Part 1

1. Using 007/MA hack or font/audio hack, use Evolution-X's 'backup' feature. FTP into the xbox and copy the C:/backup folder over to somewhere on your computer.

Some users have had problems with obtaining the wrong eeprom/hddkey.txt. If one hack gives you the wrong eeprom (the xbox cannot unlock the new drive) try obtaining the eeprom using a different hack. The 007/MA hack seems to have the most accuracy. Use them if possible.

2. Run LiveInfo (xbins, PC) and make sure the new HD you are going to use for the xbox is lockable - Locking: NOT LOCKED is lockable, Locking: NOT SUPPORTED is NOT lockable. Your only chance with that drive is to flash your TSOP or get a modchip.

3. Open up your xbox case, unplug the original HD, and put it somewhere safe.

4. Download atapwd and hddunlock from xbins (PC/Harddrive tools)

As a precaution, you may want to download unlockx. Some have not been able to lock their drives with hdlock (have not come across this myself, but others have).

5. Grab norton ghost (off a p2p proggie or buy it) and create a boot floppy - No need for LPT, USB, CD-R support, etc.

6. Unzip and put atapwd and hddunlock in their own folders on the floppy - e.x. a:/atapwd a:/hddunlock a:/unlockx

In earlier versions of the tutorial I listed HDPrepar to be necessary. It is not.

7. Run liveinfo. Click 'load eeprom' and direct it to the backup folder you downloaded from the xbox. Point it to eeprom.bin. After that, make sure the HD you want to put in the xbox is selected.

8. Write down the key that shows up in the bottom half of the screen - should be 40 characters. Make sure that in the top half, the bottom-most field is NOT all 0's. If it is, try loading the EEPROM again. Also, open and write down/print hddkey.txt . VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Part 2 - Unlocking Drives - Part 2

9. Turn off your computer. Pop out your OS's HD. Put the xbox HD on the Primary IDE channel - with no slave. Put the HD you are going to put in the xbox on the secondary channel, also with no slave. Make sure both HDs are either set to CS or Master. If they are set to CS, make sure they're on the end of the cable, not the middle (else it will be set to slave).

10. Set to boot from floppy in your BIOS, and pop in the floppy we prepared earlier. It should load for a minute or so.
As soon as Ghost loads WRITE DOWN the license. I have NO idea why, but it asks for this later. Some odd security feature.
QUIT ghost.

11. Type:

cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Check to make sure both drives are listed. You should see SELFXV written at the top. The replacement drive should only have S checked, with the rest -'s. The xbox drive should have E and L checked, as well.

12. Type:
cd..
cd hddunl~1
hdunlock.exe

Select the xbox's HD. Type in the password you printed from hddkey.txt . Don't bother putting in the colons, and you don't need to type the 0's at the end.

13. Type:
cd..
cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Make sure that the L now has a - for the xbox HD.

14. Type:
cd..
cd hddunl~1
hddisabl.exe

Select the xbox HD, and type in the password from hddkey.txt again, in the same format (no colons, no 0's at the end).

Some have found this step to be unnecessary. If you do not do this step, the drive will simply re-lock when you reboot. For some, this eliminates the headache of trying to relock the xbox stock drive. If you do not do step 14 (Recommended, unless you plan to reboot), skip locking the stock HD in step 18.

15. Type:
cd..
cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Make sure that both the E and the L now have -'s for the xbox HD.

If they do, great! Your xbox HD is now unlocked! (note - hdunlock.exe unlocks the HD, hddisabl prevents it from relocking itself when you reboot).

Part 3 - Cloning Your Xbox HD - Part 3

16. Type:
cd..
cd ghost
ghostpe.exe /ir

(NOTE: depending on your version of ghost, it may be just ghost.exe)

This will start ghost in Raw Mode. After it loads up (you did write down that license, right? If not, here's your chance to write it down again). Now, move the mouse to the bottom-left of the screen (to pop up the menu) and select disk -> to disk.

17. Select the source and destination drives - Source is xbox HD, destination is new HD. Allow it to finish copying (should be 10 minutes max). Once it finishes, quit ghost.

Part 4 - Locking Drives - Part 4

18. Type:
cd..
cd hddunl~1
hdlock.exe

Now, you need to lock BOTH drives. Use the password from hddkey.txt to lock the xbox HD (that is, if you want to keep it as a backup, which is VERY VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Use the password you got from LiveInfo to lock the replacement HD. This step has caused innumerable problems. Check the key you lock your replacement HD with AT LEAST 3 times. A mistyped key can result in the death of your drive.

Note added by bruder_s: When you can't seem to get your new drive locked because atapwd shows F+ (drive security freeze),
you may try the following:

- Enter your PC's BIOS
- Disable All Virus Protection
- Set all drives to 'Not Installed'

If it works for you like it worked for me, restart the PC and atapwd will show F- biggrin.gif

19. Type:
cd..
cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Check both drives in atapwd. They should be locked now.

If the drives will not lock, try unlockx from xbins. It requires a restart after locking, but for some users it seems to do the trick.

Congrats! Your HD is now prepared - The easy, no hdd-driver, no linux way!

20. Pop the replacement HD into the xbox case. MAKE SURE the jumper is set to CS (cable select).

Close up the xbox case (don't screw it in just yet) and plug in the xbox. Hook it up and turn it on. If you did it right, it'll boot up and everything will be fine.

If you get an error 6, put the Replacement HD and xbox HD back in your computer, unlock/disable them both (xbox hd uses hddkey.txt password, replacement HD uses LiveInfo password). Repeat steps 18-20.

Likely, though, if you got an error 6, you mistyped the Replacement HD's password. If so, check on your floppy drive. There should be a text file containing the last used key. That should help you unlock the replacement HD.

If this again will not work, make SURE you wrote down the liveinfo key correctly. If you are sure of this, try obtaining the EEPROM using a different hack. Some hacks cause EvoX to backup the wrong EEPROM.

If you plan on using xbox live with software hacks (which many of us non-modchip users would like to do), you might notice that the latest xbox live dash no longer has the audio vulnerablility. To get past this, simply take the HD that came with the xbox and take every mod file off of it (M$ hasn't yet, but they do have the right to scan your HD for mod files). Once that HD is fully stock, simply install Live and switch HDs when you want to play Live. If you're feeling creative, you could even build a switch biggrin.gif

Added: With Xbox Live, one could also backup their C: when using the 4920 dash (still vulnerable to the audio hack, one would find this dash in slayer's auto-installer). Then, simply upgrade to Live 2.0, then restore your backup. Live will still work in games, and so will your softhack! Just make sure not to try to access Live from the MSDash. If you do, turn off the xbox before it downloads the update. (Taken from: http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=45&t=101978 , thank you AnThRaX!)

Good luck with it! Mods: Possible sticky? biggrin.gif

Sottilde

P.S. Let me know how it goes.

-- Edited to make it easier to read.

Edited by Sottilde, 04 January 2004 - 04:17 PM.

#2 MrSelfDestruct

MrSelfDestruct

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 11:22 PM

man, I wish I had this last weekend.

But great tutorial. thanks Sottilde

#3 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 12:47 AM

Bumpage.

#4 krackato

krackato

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 01:05 AM

Is it really necessary to use Norton Ghost just to create a boot disc? Couldn't you use something else that's... smaller? Or more easily downloadable.

#5 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 01:13 AM

Lol... of course not... You need ghost not only to create a boot disk but also to clone the drives. That's why. Otherwise, a regular M$ 98 boot disk would do fine. Go grab GHOSTPE.exe off somewhere, it'll do you fine.

#6 krackato

krackato

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 06:27 AM

Sigh... two steps forward and 1 step back. I followed all the instructions to the letter. I really thought it was going to work. When I check atapwd after reseting, both harddrives showed that they were locked with checks next to SEL. I put in the 120gb harddrive into the Xbox and I got a different error code than usual (error code 6). I got a little worried, but luckily the 8gb harddrive worked just like normal when I put it in. So I put the harddrive back in my computer, ran hddunlock and hdddisabl, and then hddlock and then checked it with atapwd. Everything looked fine again but unfortunetly, I got the same error code. Anyone have any ideas?

edit: oh yeah, I'm running a crappy Enigmah chip. My original thread is over here:

http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=41&t=105656

Edited by krackato, 22 September 2003 - 06:31 AM.

#7 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:21 PM

Error code 6... hmmm... That's the 'cannot load dashboard' error. It may have something to do with the HD not being able to be unlocked. Make sure you load the EEPROM and use Liveinfo correctly. Judging by how the original HD still works, it seems that you have an incorrect password on your 120 gig.

Make sure the pass for the 120 gig is 40 characters, like mine:
1362B34A2AA6F37B5D3D32C4EE113B65348736CB

Dont' use it, of course, it won't work for you biggrin.gif But make sure it's like this. The 32 character 'unique HDD key' will NOT WORK.

I have a picture of how LiveInfo should be used if you can't get it (I have nowhere to host it) - PM me and I'll send it.

EDIT: Oh, one more suggestion - I've heard a few things where on newer xboxes (I suppose newer than v1.0, which is what I'm using) that when you put the new HD in the xbox, you'll get error 6, and it creates a small folder or something to that effect. Simply unlock, disable, re-ghost and lock (with the correct key, doublecheck that) and it should work.

EDIT2: I reported wrongly. Error code 6 is "cannot unlock drive". This means that you locked your drive with the wrong key (remember liveinfo) or even obtained an incorrect eeprom.

Edited by Sottilde, 26 December 2003 - 03:26 PM.

#8 Viperius

Viperius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:30 PM

Wow this is amazing i am going to try this right now.

Thanks!!! cool.gif

#9 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 10:49 PM

Bumpage.

#10 krackato

krackato

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 11:57 PM

Well, I'm using an Xbox with a MFG Date of 03/09/2002, so according to the site it's a 1.0.

As far as the key, I used the key in the text file called hddinfo.txt that was created in the backup folder that I downloaded from the Xbox. It has exactly 40 characters broken up into sets of 2 with colons. a5:92:15:e7:62...... and finally it ends with 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:

The hddinfo.txt file has the Disk Serial Number, the Disk Model Number, and then the 40 character HDD Key.

Right now the Xbox harddrive boots up into Evolution X and for some reason I can boot my computer into Windows when I have the new 120gb ghosted, locked harddrive attatched ever since I ghosted it. Maybe it's one of those silly Windows things where if I try it now, 12 hours later it'll work for no freaking good reason cause that's how computers are.

Anyway, I will report back.

#11 krackato

krackato

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 01:13 AM

No dice. Still gives me error 6. I've tried putting in the harddrive into the Xbox in Master and Cable Select mode.

A couple of details. First, the executable in my bootdisc was called Ghost.exe, not GhostPE.exe, so that may have made a difference (though I doubt it).

Secondly, everytime (atleast to the best of my recollection) that I would use HDDlock, hddisabl, and HDlock on the original Xbox drive, it would say 'Done!" (with an exclamation point) When I ran the programs on the 120gb harddrive, it would just say 'Done." (without the exclamation point)

Anyway, hope everyone else has better luck. Stupid Enigmah chip...

#12 Drew826

Drew826

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 September 2003 - 02:57 AM

About the Enigmah chip...
I don't know if things have changed, but I used to have an enigmah and i'm pretty sure there was some issue with it not being able to support a larger hard drive. that may have been changed by one of the new dashboards or something, but i stopped keeping up with what the enigmah could and couldn't do when i blew it and bought an X2. try looking up information on the enigmah, and see if its possible to use a larger hard drive. if so, then maybe your problem lies elsewhere

#13 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:50 PM

He may be right about that. Try the font hack w/4978 or 4979, and reghost, and disable your chip.

Also.

That HDDkey.txt is ONLY to be used for the original 8 gig (or 10 gig, depending on your xbox version) HD. To generate a key for the 120 gig, unlock it, run liveinfo and hit 'load eeprom'. Point it to eeprom.bin from the backup folder. This should give you a new key at the bottom - use that.

As for windows not booting, it's probably just set to boot from the locked drive in your bios.

Make sure that when you ghost that each device has it's OWN cable, so NO SLAVE drives. Don't even have your OS HD hooked up.

As for ghost, make sure you quit then run it in raw mode (ghostpe.exe /ir). It SHOULD be ghostpe.exe . Probably just a different version of ghost. Recommend you download the latest off somewhere (and don't forget to buy/crack it).

Let me know if you get it.

#14 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 01:16 AM

bumpage

#15 mranak

mranak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:58 PM

Anyone know of a tutorial or references to information on how to use xlinux to do this?

Also, I'm just kinda curious why the key from HDDkey.txt won't work. If the old 8 or 10 gig xbox drive were relocked with this key from liveinfo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)