#1 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:50 PM

This guide is pretty damn old!
Learn how to read the date on the posts before using any guide. This thing was made in 2003 and alot of the info is pretty useless nowadays. Use XBOHDM or try reading the pinned tutorials next time, instead of just searching and assuming this is even relevant anymore.

Before we start, a quick explanation of locking.

Hard drives can be locked by a 40-digit hexadecimal key. When one boots up their computer, the hard drive cannot be accessed until this key is used. Unlocking a hard drive will keep it unlocked until power is cut from the hard drive. Disabling the lock destroys the lock entirely, making the drive unlocked even after a reboot. Therefore, using hddisabl (disables the lock) in step 14 can be dangerous, if one forgets the key to the xbox drive, etc.

The lock code for your stock xbox HD and your replacement HD will be different. Remember this, and don't try to interchange keys. It won't work.

Warning: Locking your replacement HD with a mistyped code could result in your drive being unusable. If this is to happen, check the contents of your floppy. There should be a text file created in there with the last key entered. Use that to unlock your replacement drive again biggrin.gif

Note on Error 6 (Cannot unlock HD error)- Results from either a mistyped key when using hdlock, or a bad key given by the wrong EEPROM generated by Evox. Use the 007/MA hack to retrieve the eeprom. Again, I cannot stress enough making sure you do not mistype the key when you lock the Replacement HD.

TUTORIAL ----------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Read this through before you start.

[b] Part 1 - Collecting Keys and Preparation - Part 1

1. Using 007/MA hack or font/audio hack, use Evolution-X's 'backup' feature. FTP into the xbox and copy the C:/backup folder over to somewhere on your computer.

Some users have had problems with obtaining the wrong eeprom/hddkey.txt. If one hack gives you the wrong eeprom (the xbox cannot unlock the new drive) try obtaining the eeprom using a different hack. The 007/MA hack seems to have the most accuracy. Use them if possible.

2. Run LiveInfo (xbins, PC) and make sure the new HD you are going to use for the xbox is lockable - Locking: NOT LOCKED is lockable, Locking: NOT SUPPORTED is NOT lockable. Your only chance with that drive is to flash your TSOP or get a modchip.

3. Open up your xbox case, unplug the original HD, and put it somewhere safe.

4. Download atapwd and hddunlock from xbins (PC/Harddrive tools)

As a precaution, you may want to download unlockx. Some have not been able to lock their drives with hdlock (have not come across this myself, but others have).

5. Grab norton ghost (off a p2p proggie or buy it) and create a boot floppy - No need for LPT, USB, CD-R support, etc.

6. Unzip and put atapwd and hddunlock in their own folders on the floppy - e.x. a:/atapwd a:/hddunlock a:/unlockx

In earlier versions of the tutorial I listed HDPrepar to be necessary. It is not.

7. Run liveinfo. Click 'load eeprom' and direct it to the backup folder you downloaded from the xbox. Point it to eeprom.bin. After that, make sure the HD you want to put in the xbox is selected.

8. Write down the key that shows up in the bottom half of the screen - should be 40 characters. Make sure that in the top half, the bottom-most field is NOT all 0's. If it is, try loading the EEPROM again. Also, open and write down/print hddkey.txt . VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Part 2 - Unlocking Drives - Part 2

9. Turn off your computer. Pop out your OS's HD. Put the xbox HD on the Primary IDE channel - with no slave. Put the HD you are going to put in the xbox on the secondary channel, also with no slave. Make sure both HDs are either set to CS or Master. If they are set to CS, make sure they're on the end of the cable, not the middle (else it will be set to slave).

10. Set to boot from floppy in your BIOS, and pop in the floppy we prepared earlier. It should load for a minute or so.
As soon as Ghost loads WRITE DOWN the license. I have NO idea why, but it asks for this later. Some odd security feature.
QUIT ghost.

11. Type:

cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Check to make sure both drives are listed. You should see SELFXV written at the top. The replacement drive should only have S checked, with the rest -'s. The xbox drive should have E and L checked, as well.

12. Type:
cd..
cd hddunl~1
hdunlock.exe

Select the xbox's HD. Type in the password you printed from hddkey.txt . Don't bother putting in the colons, and you don't need to type the 0's at the end.

13. Type:
cd..
cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Make sure that the L now has a - for the xbox HD.

14. Type:
cd..
cd hddunl~1
hddisabl.exe

Select the xbox HD, and type in the password from hddkey.txt again, in the same format (no colons, no 0's at the end).

Some have found this step to be unnecessary. If you do not do this step, the drive will simply re-lock when you reboot. For some, this eliminates the headache of trying to relock the xbox stock drive. If you do not do step 14 (Recommended, unless you plan to reboot), skip locking the stock HD in step 18.

15. Type:
cd..
cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Make sure that both the E and the L now have -'s for the xbox HD.

If they do, great! Your xbox HD is now unlocked! (note - hdunlock.exe unlocks the HD, hddisabl prevents it from relocking itself when you reboot).

Part 3 - Cloning Your Xbox HD - Part 3

16. Type:
cd..
cd ghost
ghostpe.exe /ir

(NOTE: depending on your version of ghost, it may be just ghost.exe)

This will start ghost in Raw Mode. After it loads up (you did write down that license, right? If not, here's your chance to write it down again). Now, move the mouse to the bottom-left of the screen (to pop up the menu) and select disk -> to disk.

17. Select the source and destination drives - Source is xbox HD, destination is new HD. Allow it to finish copying (should be 10 minutes max). Once it finishes, quit ghost.

Part 4 - Locking Drives - Part 4

18. Type:
cd..
cd hddunl~1
hdlock.exe

Now, you need to lock BOTH drives. Use the password from hddkey.txt to lock the xbox HD (that is, if you want to keep it as a backup, which is VERY VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Use the password you got from LiveInfo to lock the replacement HD. This step has caused innumerable problems. Check the key you lock your replacement HD with AT LEAST 3 times. A mistyped key can result in the death of your drive.

Note added by bruder_s: When you can't seem to get your new drive locked because atapwd shows F+ (drive security freeze),
you may try the following:

- Enter your PC's BIOS
- Disable All Virus Protection
- Set all drives to 'Not Installed'

If it works for you like it worked for me, restart the PC and atapwd will show F- biggrin.gif

19. Type:
cd..
cd atapwd
atapwd.exe

Check both drives in atapwd. They should be locked now.

If the drives will not lock, try unlockx from xbins. It requires a restart after locking, but for some users it seems to do the trick.

Congrats! Your HD is now prepared - The easy, no hdd-driver, no linux way!

20. Pop the replacement HD into the xbox case. MAKE SURE the jumper is set to CS (cable select).

Close up the xbox case (don't screw it in just yet) and plug in the xbox. Hook it up and turn it on. If you did it right, it'll boot up and everything will be fine.

If you get an error 6, put the replacement HD and xbox HD back in your computer, unlock/disable them both (xbox hd uses hddkey.txt password, replacement HD uses LiveInfo password). Repeat steps 18-20.

Likely, though, if you got an error 6, you mistyped the Replacement HD's password. If so, check on your floppy drive. There should be a text file containing the last used key. That should help you unlock the replacement HD.

If this again will not work, make SURE you wrote down the liveinfo key correctly. If you are sure of this, try obtaining the EEPROM using a different hack. Some hacks cause EvoX to backup the wrong EEPROM.

If you plan on using xbox live with software hacks (which many of us non-modchip users would like to do), you might notice that the latest xbox live dash no longer has the audio vulnerablility. To get past this, simply take the HD that came with the xbox and take every mod file off of it (M$ hasn't yet, but they do have the right to scan your HD for mod files). Once that HD is fully stock, simply install Live and switch HDs when you want to play Live. If you're feeling creative, you could even build a switch biggrin.gif

Added: With Xbox Live, one could also backup their C: when using the 4920 dash (still vulnerable to the audio hack, one would find this dash in slayer's auto-installer). Then, simply upgrade to Live 2.0, then restore your backup. Live will still work in games, and so will your softhack! Just make sure not to try to access Live from the MSDash. If you do, turn off the xbox before it downloads the update. (Taken from: http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=45&t=101978 , thank you AnThRaX!)

Good luck with it! Mods: Possible sticky? biggrin.gif

Sottilde

P.S. Let me know how it goes.

-- Edited to make it easier to read.

Edited by RiceCake, 11 May 2005 - 03:31 PM.

#2 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:10 PM

Bumpage.

#3 ludeaction

ludeaction

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:22 PM

could someone sticky this in the tuts?

#4 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 09:18 PM

tongue.gif I agree. Everyone I've talked to has had success with it biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Sottilde

#5 Grospolina

Grospolina

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 23 September 2003 - 09:47 PM

Very good tutorial. It's pretty close to sabwafare's tutorial which was posted before, but this one is a little more complete.

I'd like to offer a couple of points though:

1. I don't believe that using hdprepar (step 6) is necessary. Since you're using Ghost to clone the entire drive, these sectors will be overwritten anyways. I can confirm this later, since I'm doing some drives soon.

2. I think UnLockX.exe is easier to use and more intuitive than atapwd/hdlock/hdunlock/hddisabl, plus it's an all-in-one program. The only problem is that sometimes it says that it can't unlock the drive, when it really does unlock it. It will also save the password that you lock a drive with, so you can check to see if you typed it wrong.

3. With UnLockX, you can connect the drive as a primary slave, so you don't absolutely need to remove your OS drive (which is usually your primary master). You can remove it anyways, if you're afraid you'll lock the wrong drive.

4. It's a good idea to format F: on the new drive.

#6 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:38 AM

To answer your questions:

1. I only added the hdprepar step in case there were a FAT32/NTFS or other partition on the drive. This makes it more suitable for ghosting, as it deletes all partitions. It's probably not totally necessary but I include it for cleanliness reasons.

2. UnlockX - I rather don't like all-in-one programs such as that. Things can go wrong, such as what you said. I would rather just use what works biggrin.gif

3. It's not too big of a deal to remove OS's drive. In fact, YOU DON'T HAVE TO. I just do so to prevent accidental locking of your OS's drive - which, if you don't realize it, can lead to a great amount of confusion.

4. Formatting F: is a whole other matter - and there are other tutorials for it. For those of you who do wonder, however, check www.xbox-scene.com . There's a good tutorial there.

#7 sabwafare

sabwafare

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:I love softmods!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:52 AM

wow, deja vu. Nice tut none the less.

#8 Dark Monkey

Dark Monkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:31 PM

do u know where i can get norton ghost?

#9 Dark Monkey

Dark Monkey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 September 2003 - 09:53 PM

where can i get norton ghost?

#10 Blightfire

Blightfire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:17 AM

can this work with a xbox modded with x2.2 lite too?

#11 Starmaker

Starmaker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:25 PM

can, but it is completely unnecessary.

get yourself a suitable bios and slayers, and just pop the new hd into the box

#12 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:30 PM

Sure, you can use this for a modded box as well- you just don't have to bother locking or collecting the key for the new HD you are going to put in. As for norton ghost, I can't help you with getting it... If you PM me, I might be able to arrange something.

Also, WinHex CAN be used for the same purpose as Ghost.

#13 Blightfire

Blightfire

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 01:55 AM

you mean if my xbox is modded i can just slap in a new hdd ? just have to xfer the contents?

#14 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:04 PM

Yes, you can slap in a new HD using this tutorial - just needs to be cloned. You can use whatever program you like for that, but I especially like norton ghost.

Even softmods will work - as that is what this tutorial is made for. If your xbox has a modchip, just ignore the parts about locking the NEW hard drive.

#15 Sottilde

Sottilde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:12 PM

Bumpage beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users