2 replies to this topic

#1 Tuschedz

Tuschedz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:48 AM

I have a laptop with one ethernet card and one 802.11b card. It has two PCI ports. I connect to the internet through my college's LAN. I'd like the Xbox, the LAN, and my computer to all be able to access each other easily, without having to unplug wires, and as inexpensively as possible.

I am leaning toward buying a second NIC. It seems to be the cheapest option and as far as I can tell, buying a router is no better. Will this setup rely on Windows to function, because I sometimes run Linux. The only drawback I see to two NICs is that my computer must be on for the Xbox to be online. I've also heard that the cheaper routers (which aren't cheap at all by my standards) have a bandwidth limitation.

#2 GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:55 AM

I'd say go w/ a switch. You can get one for $30-$40, and it's virtually hassle free. Also, if you friends want to bring their laptops over and get files from your computer... your term paper for instance, or if you want to hook up another online console (GC) to the network, you just plug and play.

Save yourself the hassle -- a switch is the way to go.

#3 Tuschedz

Tuschedz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 11:32 PM

Thanks...I'll look into that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users