heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:42 PM

Due to the large number of people asking the very basic question - "How do I backup games to my hard drive?" - Here it is.
Its so very simple that almost feel stupid making a guide for it, but I guess people like to know whats going on before they start.

1) Get the latest version of dvd2xbox (Click HERE to find out where to get it, HINT: its xbox/apps/filemanager) - Do NOT PM me or E-Mail me asking for software.

2) Install dvd2xbox on your xbox (This is covered in other guides)

3) Start app:
user posted image

4) Insert Game (I am using Mechassault for this guide):
user posted image

5) Press A
user posted image

6) Select Location to Save game (you can specify other locations in the .xml file) - Press A
user posted image

7) Notice that the app reads the game name from the .xbe and names the folder appropriately. Press Start to begin copying.
user posted image

8) The game is then copied to the hard drive.
user posted image

9) Once finished, the app then patches all .xbe's and ejects the game

10) Nothing else to do, so there you go, backup your game in less then 10 steps smile.gif

Notes: let me know if there is anything that I missed or what not. If there is a demand, I may add a guide for using dvd2xbox for a dvd movie, which would quickly turn this into a dvd2xbox manual....

Edited by heinrich, 06 February 2005 - 07:07 AM.

#2 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:46 PM

DVD2XBOX is a great application but-

Do you hear a low, sharp noise when you are copying a game to your HD? Its like your ears are ringing or something.

#3 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (shanafan @ Sep 27 2003, 08:46 PM)
DVD2XBOX is a great application but-

Do you hear a low, sharp noise when you are copying a game to your HD? Its like your ears are ringing or something.

Umm...no, and I doubt it is a sound generated by the software. More than likely it's emitted from your drive.

Also, thread added to pinned list.

#4 vidgms4me

vidgms4me

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 12:08 AM

It might be your TV - I get that a lot.

Anyway, great tut heinrich. You use the xdk or video capture card for the screenshots?

#5 heinrich

heinrich

• Head Moderators
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 12:16 AM

I used the XDK, and I think I might as well make more of a 'manual' for dvd2xbox (as if it even needs one) We'll see how bored I get this weekend tongue.gif

And shanafan, dont believe I've a noise like that. Maybe you should get your TV, or your ears checked out laugh.gif

#6 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 September 2003 - 01:43 PM

Great tutorial! The sad thing is that if there is anyone that can't figure out how to use this program they're probably not going to have the foresight to do a search to find this. wink.gif

I love the new version 0.45, even EASIER than the last version if that is possible.

#7 TonyTurboII

TonyTurboII

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the tutorial. I guess I wouldve found out how easy it was if I wouldve just installed it, lol.

#8 TonyTurboII

TonyTurboII

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:24 AM

Ok, I have a small gripe. This thing seems to totally install things, and HIDE them. I went about looking for the file to link in my games menu, and couldnt find the directory anywhere. Well, I popped the disc back it, browsed it, and found my file. (every linked file seems to be default.xbe) Anyhow, I added the line to my Evox.ini file, to find a dead link, and a working link in my games submenu (dead link being red). I removed my modified file and replaced it with the old one, and the link to my game is in there, even though I didnt add it. My only question is, how will I remove it (if I ever decide to) if I cant find it.

#9 nezff

nezff

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:gaming, gaming o and gaming
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:26 AM

this should be pinned

#10 shanafan

shanafan

He Who Posts Alot...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (nezff @ Sep 29 2003, 11:26 PM)
this should be pinned

It is "pinned"

Look in the very top thread

#11 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (TonyTurboII @ Sep 29 2003, 11:24 PM)
Ok, I have a small gripe. This thing seems to totally install things, and HIDE them. I went about looking for the file to link in my games menu, and couldnt find the directory anywhere. Well, I popped the disc back it, browsed it, and found my file. (every linked file seems to be default.xbe) Anyhow, I added the line to my Evox.ini file, to find a dead link, and a working link in my games submenu (dead link being red). I removed my modified file and replaced it with the old one, and the link to my game is in there, even though I didnt add it. My only question is, how will I remove it (if I ever decide to) if I cant find it.

It doesn't hide anything. In fact, it TELLS you the destination of the game or video before it even backs it up.

Furthermore, the dead link was the one you added; you obviously did it wrong. The one that showed up is EvoX's AutoAddItem - it automatically sees the game folder and adds it to the menu. When you remove the game, the menu item is no longer displayed.

I have no idea how you can consider this a gripe...

#12 TonyTurboII

TonyTurboII

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 05:24 AM

Hah, I was looking in the wrong partition. I was linking to the wrong partition too. wink.gif

#13 FWAxeIbanez

FWAxeIbanez

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:11 PM

you can do dvd movies too? does it encode the movies and take like 5 hours or does it just rip them?

#14 heinrich

heinrich

• Head Moderators
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (FWAxeIbanez @ Oct 4 2003, 07:11 PM)
you can do dvd movies too? does it encode the movies and take like 5 hours or does it just rip them?

dvd2xbox just rips the movie from the dvd, it does not encode it.

#15 mr_mann12

mr_mann12

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:03 PM

Yeah i have a question. Right now i am currently running dvd2xbox 3.6 and i realized i am really far behind in the updates. So i downloaded the newest version 5. When i try opening the app it doesnt load. I am running evox 3929. I also updated my evox today and before when i ran evox 1.8 it did the same thing. And i am using a matrix modchip with the evox M7 bios. I dont know if any of those peices of info help but im just wondering why i cant get dvd2xbox to run.
P.S. i also tried thr 4.9 version and it did the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users