9 replies to this topic

#1 Airwolf[UKR]

Airwolf[UKR]

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 08:37 PM

DVD+R/+RW, DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW are all rewritable DVD formats, however, only DVD+R/+RW is designed from the start to be compatible with existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players, both on a physical as well as on a logical level. This means that a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc recorded in a DVD+R/+RW video recorder can be played in virtually all DVD-Video players or DVD-ROM equiped PCs, and that any DVD+R or DVD+RW disc recorded with data on a PC DVD+R/+RW drive can be read by most DVD-ROM drives.

DVD-RAM uses a totally different kind of physical recording method, which is absolutely incompatible with DVD (hence, it can hardly be called 'DVD'). No normal DVD player will be able to read DVD-RAM discs, even if you use the newer DVD-RAM version without a cartridge housing.

DVD-R and DVD-RW were initially not designed to be used as a DVD-compatible recording solution. DVD compatibility was added at a later point, however since the formats were not developped for this purpose, they do not offer the level of compatibility and flexibility (while remaining DVD compatible!) that DVD+R/+RW offers. Furthermore, DVD-R/-RW is less suitable for data applications as well due to a number of technical limitations (such as the inability of random access writing). For a very extensive comparison of the various formats, please refer to Comparison with DVD-R/-RW Video Recorders and Comparison with DVD-R/-RW PC Drives.

The DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW supporters have announced numurous compatibility programs for their DVD players (such as "DVD-Multi" and "VR support"), however only a small minority of players will include these (costly!) additions. DVD-RAM/-R/-RW lies the burden of compatibility on the player, while DVD+R/+RW lies the burden of compatibility on the recorder itself.

#2 FWAxeIbanez

FWAxeIbanez

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 01:20 AM

wow, thanks, that answers a lot of questions i have had...i wasn't even sure that dvd+r's worked in ps2's and xbox's...thanks!

#3 mc_365

mc_365

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 03:20 PM

(Airwolf[UKR] @ Sep 28 2003, 11:25 AM)
As far as i know u can record on both layers of the DVD+R Disc, meaning u can burn things on top and bottom 

negative

You have redeemed yourself

#4 pir8penguin

pir8penguin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 03:30 PM

check: ps2's don't read + media. afaik, they only read dvd-r and rw. i know that they at least read dvd-r, as i've backed up in this fashion already (with a boot disk in lue of a chip).

#5 phire

phire

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:22 PM

still inaccurate, different ps2 versions can read diff formats, V7 for example, can play +r discs...
do a google search

#6 slappy00

slappy00

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 08:56 PM

check: ps2's don't read + media

My version 5 reads +R just fine and all versions can read +R just need the right media (ricoh)

check here:

ricoh jpn

I swear i have to put this link up once a day dry.gif ...

/edit: now with boldness smile.gif

Edited by slappy00, 29 September 2003 - 08:58 PM.

#7 D-Sisive

D-Sisive

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:35 AM

new dvd players nowadays will play either +- so it dont matter

i have a 5disc player that plays only - as stated, so i never tried + on it yet

#8 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:39 AM

DVD-R/RW exhibit far higher compatibility than DVD+R/RW when used with a random sample of playing devices, regardless of the intentions of those behind DVD+R/RW.

#9 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 September 2003 - 05:27 AM

QUOTE (Airwolf[UKR] @ Sep 28 2003, 02:37 PM)
DVD+R/+RW, DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW are all rewritable DVD formats, however, only DVD+R/+RW is designed from the start to be compatible with existing DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players, both on a physical as well as on a logical level. This means that a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc recorded in a DVD+R/+RW video recorder can be played in virtually all DVD-Video players or DVD-ROM equiped PCs, and that any DVD+R or DVD+RW disc recorded with data on a PC DVD+R/+RW drive can be read by most DVD-ROM drives.

DVD-RAM uses a totally different kind of physical recording method, which is absolutely incompatible with DVD (hence, it can hardly be called 'DVD'). No normal DVD player will be able to read DVD-RAM discs, even if you use the newer DVD-RAM version without a cartridge housing.

DVD-R and DVD-RW were initially not designed to be used as a DVD-compatible recording solution. DVD compatibility was added at a later point, however since the formats were not developped for this purpose, they do not offer the level of compatibility and flexibility (while remaining DVD compatible!) that DVD+R/+RW offers. Furthermore, DVD-R/-RW is less suitable for data applications as well due to a number of technical limitations (such as the inability of random access writing). For a very extensive comparison of the various formats, please refer to Comparison with DVD-R/-RW Video Recorders and Comparison with DVD-R/-RW PC Drives.

The DVD-RAM and DVD-R/-RW supporters have announced numurous compatibility programs for their DVD players (such as "DVD-Multi" and "VR support"), however only a small minority of players will include these (costly!) additions. DVD-RAM/-R/-RW lies the burden of compatibility on the player, while DVD+R/+RW lies the burden of compatibility on the recorder itself.

This sounds like it was copied from the DVD+R brochure.

It's incredibly inaccurate. And actually with older DVD players they are more compatible with -R media than + media. I know from experience.

Also DVD-RAM was supposed to be compatible with any Generation 2 or later DVD-ROM drive, however, I've found that not to be the case as it is very incompatible.

You can't go by what the marketing people behind these formats print in their ads. You can only go by real world experience.

#10 Airwolf[UKR]

Airwolf[UKR]

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 11:21 PM

acctually this is real world experience... anywayz, peep seems happy with wut i wrote...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users