5 replies to this topic

#1 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 01:46 AM

About 20 minutes ago my phillips decieded it was gonna stop reading everything. Pitty it was a great perfoming drive up to then. I tried re-adjusting the Pot but notihg hleps.
I am thinking of going witht eh 616 and modding it but I was wondering how hoard it really is to do this mod. The only real experiance Ive had is installing my x2 lite mod chip. Would I have alot of trouble doing this mod or not?
Also, where can I get the 616t for a good price? alot of places apear to be sold out.

Also, I am using +r media. with the 616 read this or not?

Edited by pedro, 29 September 2003 - 01:47 AM.

#2 Scud VR4

Scud VR4

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:38 AM

http://www.falz.net/gallery/616t

This gives you a good idea of everything that's required to mod it. Probably more difficult than a modchip install.

I'm not sure where they can be purchased now. Checking the Buy & Sell forum is probably your best bet.

From my understanding, it 'officially' supports -R media but that a lot of +R media works too

Good luck if you try this mod. The main thing holding me back from it (over a regular Samsung) is that the DVD tray is visibly recessed. Besides that, I've heard nothing but good things about it

#3 DaShiZNiT

DaShiZNiT

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 September 2003 - 07:25 AM

I just did one tonight, not really that hard at all. The hard thing is finding one wink.gif

Not that cosmetically appealing but, I swear it reads faster than a original xbox Samsung drive.

Good luck

#4 hippo

hippo

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 September 2003 - 11:54 AM

I swear it reads 4 times faster than a stock sammy.

#5 mgillaus

mgillaus

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 September 2003 - 04:20 PM

i've got a 616f in mine now, works great except is very loud sometimes when reading original games and movies.. also when i put it in, i broke off some of the parts that the black bracket sits on and did away with the bracket all together, the drive just sits in there lifted up by some cleverly placed plastic items in there which i don't think will cause too much trouble as its been on for a damn long time like this now. i'm too scabby to make something that will hold it in there properly. it seems to be working fine

it also sits in there perfectly now and looks like an original box cosmetically from the outside now.

good luck with finding a drive and hope it goes well installing it cool.gif

#6 pedro

pedro

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:05 AM

in that picture tutorial that scud posted, where is he connecting the yellow wire after the modification. I see where he rewired the power for the motor and cut the traces. Then I see where he connected teh tray in, tray out, etc...but where is he connecting them to? Where does the yelow cable go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users