Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 03:00 AM

Hey folks,
Wondering if someone here can help me.
This is what I want to do. I want to use a removable hard drive kit (with has just ide and power connectors) externally, and swap out multiple drives as I need them.
Here's the problem. When I have the hard drive in the removable hard drive kit and boot the xbox, It pauses for about 30 seconds at the Xbox logo screen till I finally get the error "Your Xbox Requires Service" and gives error number 7 (which is for hard drive timing out).
I can switch it back and it works fine.
I don't know why this doesn't work. It's just ide and power connections. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this going?
Here's a link to the removable drive kit that I have. It's right on the home page:
http://www.genica.com/
Thanks

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 05:03 AM

That's a UDMA100 kit.

Did you change/replace the Xbox's IDE connecto to UDMA100 and remember that the colored lead goes on the motherboard?

There were also a slew of these types of trays that had built in power regulators that didn't work correctly causing the drive not to function, even in a PC.

Lastly did you jumper the drive to CABLE SELECT?

#3 Jsmith

Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 05:24 AM

Hi,
I didn't replace the IDE cable because the box says it's "UDMA & ATA: 33/66/100" compatible. Do you think I should? If I do though, will I still be able to use the original Xbox Hardrive with my modchip turned off (the reason I'm doing the whole drive swap thing)? Probably, right?
The drive I was testing it out on first was the original drive, which is still set to cable select.
I didn't know these kits have a bad rep though, or otherwise I might have taken a different route. For now, I'll just cross my fingers.
So, you still think it might be the IDE cable? If so, I'll do a switcheroo.

#4 Jsmith

Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 05:50 AM

UPDATE...
It was something stupid.
It came with these cheesy keys to lock it that the drive can't be removed, even though it's locked in place when you put the drive in.
So, I thought the keys were for security reasons, so that someone can't just walk over and steal the drive.
Little did I know that it won't send power to the drive unless it's actually locked.
One quick question though. The other drive is a brand new drive, untouched as of this point. You mentioned that the drive should be set to cable select, but the xbox-scene tutorial said to set it to Master. I really hope you're right, because the instructions of the kit said to set it to cable select. So, is cable select a good setting?

#5 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 04:33 PM

CABLE SELECT is what the OEM drives use.

Re: Lock.

I figured that you would know this.

#6 Jsmith

Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 06:57 PM

I did, but I thought your message was implying that all drives when in the Xbox should use that setting. I was also saying that I hope so because the removable drive kit says to set the drive to CABLE SELECT.

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:49 PM

Actually it's a little weird that the kit would say this, as it tends to depend upon the machine's configuration.

BTW: Those are AWFUL kits!

The drives need to contact metal to dissippate heat.

Some kits try to cool the drives using auxiliary fans, but these usually fail within a couple of months since they are very poor quality.

Just long enough for you NOT to return the kit.

You really want a metal drive enclosure.

#8 Jsmith

Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 07:58 PM

Ok, you scared me. I took your advice and just scratched the kit and put the upgraded drive directly into the Xbox.
My goal was to use the original drive in original condition (with no files on it that it didn't come with) with my modchip turned off, whenever I am on Xbox Live, and use my upgraded drive otherwise.
Oh well. Now I will just wait to get Xbox Live to see what happens with modchips and Live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users