24 replies to this topic

#1 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:45 AM

Hey I'm just sending this out to see if anyone else is experiencing the same problems. I know people with certain routers have issues connecting to the xbox live servers (for those who don't know the live program first checks cable, then IP, then DNS, then xbox live server). From the start when I got my kit it wouldn't connect with my bellsouth dsl running through a combo modem/router (cayman 3220h). So I assumed the router was causing troubles as many others have had. However when I brought it to my parents house today and tried it directly connected to their cable modem I still receive the same error. (also I've tried everything with the cayman router and nothing works)

I've noticed that when I attempt to login into xbox live it retains my settings from evolutionx (at least the ones I can see/change like, ip and dns). My question is, is it possible that evolutionx is causing these issues with connecting to the xbox servers through some extra settings I can't see. I've tried erasing my c drive, putting a pre evox (running evox from cd) c drive on there and reinstalling xbox live and it still seems to retain the ip and dns info (it has them set to manual which is how I have it set in evolutionx).

Anyways I guess I'm just looking for people who are xbox live beta users who have had this issue and got it resolved.

#2 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 08:00 AM

hmm I've found an interesting post on the xbox live beta forums:

>Re: Everyone who gets the "Xbox live not found" message read this
>Posted: 11-01-2002 10:03 PM
>
>Update on my situation...
>
>
>Well I decided to take my Xbox over toa friends house, who also just got >Xbox Live. His works perfectly fine, so I figured I would take my Xbox >over there and hook it up.
>
>Well...
>
>The problem is definately linked to the xbox. My Xbox gave me the exact >same problem with Live over at his house, so I went and bought another >Xbox. The new Xbox worked perfectly fine the second I installed and >booted Live at both locations. (my house & his)
>
>So ATTN MS:
>
>Good luck on the launch in a couple weeks. I have serious doubts that >the masses will be as willing, as myself, to by a second Xbox.

So this could be my problem which wouldn't surprise me at all. It seems that some xboxes (modded or not) simply won't connect to MS's server. Once I get back home I guess I'll try some packet sniffing (never done this before though) and see if I can figure anything out. Sad sad day sad.gif.

#3 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 05:42 PM

No that post was a crock of B.S.

The guy who posted it knows nothing about MAC addresses, and device authorization.

Does your CABLE modem work when plugged into your PC?

If so, have you tried copying the MAC address of your PC's card to the MAC address entry in XBLive then plugging the XBox directly into the modem?
(check the lights on the Xbox's lan port to be sure you have the right cable!)

After adding the entry you'll need to power off the modem and the Xbox.

Let the modem come up first then and get fully "on line". This can take up to 8 minutes with some ISPs!

Finally power up the Xbox.

I bet it works this way!

#4 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 05:51 PM

Ok I'll try it how you described. Last night what I did was Hooked up the xbox directly to the cable modem. Unplugged the modem for 15 min, plugged it back in. Turned on the xbox. And at first it couldn't obtain the ip address. Then after supplying the mac address of my pc (and cloned in the router) it would go as far as "xbox live not found". I really wish the program would give back a better description of whats going on.

Anyways I'll report back after I try it again.

#5 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:05 PM

I've just tried it the way you described. Still doesn't work. My pc works fine hooked up directly to the cable modem. After cloning the mac address, powering down the xbox and modem, and turning everything on as you described it still won't work. I know the mac address is being authenticated because If I don't clone it properly then it doesn't get past the ip address stage.

After trying my xbox on 3 different internet hookups none have worked. I've done direct cable connection (charter cable), Roadrunner Business class through a router (didn't expect this one to work), and Bellsouth dsl through multiple methods (even PPPoE which authenticates yet still can't access the servers).

If the problem isn't with my xbox, the I must have horrible luck with internet connections. I might try bringing my xbox to my brothers house to try it on his hookup (roadrunner). If my xbox doesn't work still and his works without problem, then what do you suggest would be the problem (if its not my xbox)?

#6 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 07:57 PM

Here's a big clue.

Is it talking to the DNS? Does it report that the DNS is found?

If not, is it showing an IP address? Is it the same as what your PC had?

If it is showing (which means DHCP is kicking in correctly) but no DNS you may have to manually add the DNS.

A lot of ISP's DHCP servers are NOT correctly configured to disperse this information... big surprise...

Also do the lights on the Xbox's port come on?

#7 badmonkey

badmonkey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 November 2002 - 06:28 AM

No that post was a crock of B.S.

The guy who posted it knows nothing about MAC addresses, and device authorization.

Actually the guy that posted that was me, and it is no BS. I know how to set up my internet for any device using it.

Simple fact is...

It works on one Xbox.

It does not work on the other.

#8 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 07:42 AM

I agree with badmonkey. I've attempted everything on my xbox to get it to connect and it simply won't. In reponse to your suggestions opjose, yes the lights on the back of the xbox come on (one for connection and one for activity, blinking). It does report back the dns servers which infact are correct. I've tried to manually insert the dns addresses which gave the same xbox live not found error. I've also attempted to add the hostname for my pc (which does work correctly plugged straight into the modem) since this was mentioned on the xbox beta site for a charter connection and still the same error.

Plugging my xbox into my router and logging connections I can see that the xbox attempts an outgoing connection with macs.xboxlive.com on port 88. This however is the only connection (I don't know if thats normal for initial setup, can anyone confirm?). When I go back home I plan to attempt some packet sniffing and see what I can find. I also plan to try my brothers xbox and compare if his will connect and mine won't on the same connection. If this is the case, I think it basically proves that my xbox will simply not connect on xbox live (atleast not on live beta).

I'll post again when I figure anything else out.

#9 Jalan

Jalan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 09:21 AM

My xbox just freezes up, it passes cables, and ip, then freezes on the next part...

#10 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (justinjas @ Nov 3 2002, 06:42 AM)
I agree with badmonkey. I've attempted everything on my xbox to get it to connect and it simply won't. In reponse to your suggestions opjose, yes the lights on the back of the xbox come on (one for connection and one for activity, blinking). It does report back the dns servers which infact are correct. I've tried to manually insert the dns addresses which gave the same xbox live not found error. I've also attempted to add the hostname for my pc (which does work correctly plugged straight into the modem) since this was mentioned on the xbox beta site for a charter connection and still the same error.

Plugging my xbox into my router and logging connections I can see that the xbox attempts an outgoing connection with macs.xboxlive.com on port 88. This however is the only connection (I don't know if thats normal for initial setup, can anyone confirm?). When I go back home I plan to attempt some packet sniffing and see what I can find. I also plan to try my brothers xbox and compare if his will connect and mine won't on the same connection. If this is the case, I think it basically proves that my xbox will simply not connect on xbox live (atleast not on live beta).

I'll post again when I figure anything else out.

Is the test reporting that the IP address is getting resolved?

If it is, your Xbox is working PERFECTLY!

This establishes that connectivity is working just as it should, you are connecting to the NET, the cable modem is working, and so is your Xbox's NIC, settings, etc.

If this happens something UPSTREAM from you is blocking the ports (a router?) XBLive is using or there is a routing issue which has NOTHING to do with your machine or XBLive.

Badmonkey the same is also true for you!

Check it out and report back. The DNS resolution is the BIG clue!

#11 badmonkey

badmonkey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 09:09 PM

Opjose, I am not a freakin idiot.

Look very closely at the next sentence.

One Xbox works with Live, while the other does not.

They are both set up the exact same, and I am quite able to setup my internet to anything that requires it.

#12 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 09:42 PM

How would I know if you're an idiot or not.

However see my post on the other thread about what's going on.

As long as your NIC is alive, THERE IS NO REASON (other than a corrupt configuration file, down server, or ISP/LAN problems) that XBOXLive will not work.

#13 Col.Havoc

Col.Havoc

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 10:19 PM

Lets not declare WWIII here children:

Ok, if at first xbox live doesn't connect, try try again.

It took me 2 days to figure mine out.

Whatever you do, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR DASHBOARD WITH UNREAL/SPLINTER CELL!!! Make sure you update your dashboard with Whacked!, thats what worked for me. If you already installed the update with a game i said NOT TOO!!! then restore the backup YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE before you installed xbox live. (that means deleting your entire c:\ and your e:\cache directory) Now, restore your backup and make sure everything works, i take no responsibility if your xbox turns out to be a paperweight, this worked for me.

My ISP blocks out every MAC address except for one, my comps, why? Because they want me to pay an extra $10 a month for every other computer I want to access the net. Solution: Make it look like one comp.

I have my xbox connect into a router (port 3) My comp (port 2) and my modem (port 1)

Goto Start -- Run -- winipcfg
write down your Adapter Address (ignore the dashes)

Go to your xbox, make sure you have it connect to the net and that you are using a RJ-45 cable, not crossover.

Go to your network settings, make sure Automatically obtain ip adddress is on, evolution x screwed this up for me the first few times.

Go to advanced (I think thats the area) and enter your MAC address from your computer into your xbox's, now, when your xbox will connect, your ISP will think it is your home computer, same settings.

Now try to connect, and I hope it works for you.

#14 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 10:33 PM

Opjose:

The Xbox, that does not work with Live, has no other network problems at all. I have no problems on XBConnect, local System Link Play, or connecting to it through FTP when running Evox. It just does not work with Live.

Now I can appreciate the help you offer to the many in these forums, but for the love of all please read the entire msg before responding.

I know how to setup my internet just fine. One Xbox works with Live, while the other does not.

Yes, that means I have 2 Xboxes, and that means I have tried them both on multiple internet connections.

Do I know what the problem is exactly? No, I do not, but I do know, that whatever the problem, it lies in the Xbox not my connection or ability to set it up.

Again this is simply -NOT- related to the Xbox itself.

There is nothing within the Xbox that would permit the NIC to work (which it does obviously) but not permit XBLive to work.

All XBLive is, is a simple FILE on your hard drive that contains the connection information.

Your Xbox merely loads this file when you start an XboxLive enabled game or the dashboard and uses the settings contained within this file.

That's it.

It's up to the programs to work with live or not.

This is why Evolution-X works so well, as the dashboard is not dependant upon anything other than the NIC being present to configure and utilize it.

This is alwy why you can simply transfer the account settings from one Xbox to another. The Xboxlive account info merely gets xferred.

The XBLive "internet" settings are stored on each machine's drive in an XIP file.

#15 badmonkey

badmonkey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 11:15 PM

As said previously...

I don't know what the exact problem is, but it IS a problem with the Xbox. Once again...

I know how to configure my internet.
I know how to configure Xbox live.
I know that my xboxes are configured exactly the same.
I know that one Xbox works on Live, while the other does not.

You can spit out your amazing knowledege of setting up internet, until you are blue in the face. It will not change the fact, that one of my Xboxes, configured the exact same as the other Xbox, does not work with Live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users