• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Deadpool

Deadpool

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 07:30 PM

I got a chameleon the very first week they shipped ....... and im trying to make it work in a ver 1.3 box./... from what i can read they made a change to the chip to work with ver1.3 does anyone know what that change is ... and if i can do it on my older chip

#2 JonDante

JonDante

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Interests:Music Production<br />XBox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:02 PM

I am not sure what they did, but I know that v1.3 Cham is what it takes for a v1.3 XBox.

JD

#3 Deadpool

Deadpool

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 08:52 PM

ok how about this.... i deleted the copy of cromwell off the chameleon "dumb me" to program the bios with my programmer.... problem is i program the chip and it says its all ok... close program... open program .... and it says chip is empty ..... is it not possible to program chip with the programmer

#4 No_Remorse_666

No_Remorse_666

The Mad Head Modder

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 October 2003 - 09:07 PM

you need to select scan I beleive, it will still say bios unknown unless it
is the cromwell. but it should show that somthing is there.

#5 Deadpool

Deadpool

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 09:24 PM

so if i have cromwell on it ... when i hit scan it will show that......

#6 TEAM XODUS

TEAM XODUS

TEAM-XODUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 October 2003 - 09:47 PM

scan will only show the config of the dipd switches, and start the blue led flashing ..

You need to READ the bank u want to check .. that will show u the md5 fingure print .. the chameleon-cromwell md5 fingure print is already entered in the md5 file with the Xodus Programer .. you can add the others if you wish wink.gif

you can be almost 99 % sure that if the Xodus Programer tells you it has programed and completed a bank .. that bank is porgramed ok .. to be 100% either verify or do a read back and check the md5 wink.gif

Xodus

#7 Deadpool

Deadpool

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 11:24 PM

TEAM XODUS have 2 more quick questions...............

1. how can i tell if i have a version of the chameleon that is compatible with a version 1.3 xbox.....

2. is there anything i can do to my chameleon if its v1.0 to make it work with a v1.3 box...

so the fact being that it says it programs it fine..... that must mean that the pinheader is not touching one of the holes...... so im going to go fool around with that for a bit.... if anyone knows what the voltage is supposed to be coming out of all the pins... that would be great help...

#8 Deadpool

Deadpool

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 12:57 AM

another question for anyone that knows is the programmer for the Chameleon the same as the programmer for the matrix...... as i am using my matrix programer to try and flash Chameleon.....

#9 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 October 2003 - 07:46 AM

1. how can i tell if i have a version of the chameleon that is compatible with a version 1.3 xbox.....

I wonder if you can?

I dont think they changed the hardware. I suspect they just upgraded the code / HDL for the programmable controller to handle the loss of the LFRAME signal from the LPC port, and added a few extra things, like selecting BANK 2 with dip switches for boot selection via the power/eject.

I may be wrong.

2. is there anything i can do to my chameleon if its v1.0 to make it work with a v1.3 box...

If I am correct. Team Xodus could provide the binary file for programming the chameleons controller chip. However I have no idea how you would get it into the chameleon controller chip.

I'd like to see Team Xodus release this information / binary so that people who have v1.0 chameleons can select BANK2 for the 512k BIOS's. However it is unlikely. Simply because of the amount of "helpdesk" calls they will get about how to upgrade, and what to do if you make a mistake etc.

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alexh, 12 October 2003 - 07:47 AM.

#10 Swift1

Swift1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:04 AM

The question of upgrading a Chameleon from 1.0 to 1.3 has been asked in this forum before yet we get no straight out reply from Team Xodus. Is it so much to ask? Or is this how you look after the early adopters of your hardware?

All we want is an answer yes or no as booting from the 512 bank in Mode 4 is now needed to run newer bios's.

Hope to hear a response...

#11 moistness

moistness

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Swift1 @ Oct 14 2003, 11:04 AM)
The question of upgrading a Chameleon from 1.0 to 1.3 has been asked in this forum before yet we get no straight out reply from Team Xodus. Is it so much to ask? Or is this how you look after the early adopters of your hardware?

All we want is an answer yes or no as booting from the 512 bank in Mode 4 is now needed to run newer bios's.

Hope to hear a response...

well they wouldnt would they, otherwise there would be no point in selling a v1.3 would there!!! be reasonable the team xodus guys have a business to run! wink.gif and i would probably say yes it is too much to ask!

Edited by moistness, 14 October 2003 - 09:16 AM.

#12 Arakon

Arakon

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:26 PM

the code on the controller has to be updated, that can't be done with the normal programmer or from the xbox.

#13 Swift1

Swift1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Arakon. That's all i needed to know. Don't know why one of the team can't just come out and say it. If it can't be flashed by normal means, sweet, i can live with that. Being kept in the dark is what pisses people off.

Also Moistness. If you bought a Chameleon from the start you would of realised that not being able to boot from a 512kb bios in mode 4 was something that was overlooked and was a big stuff up from the team. It was the first thing everyone noticed about their Chameleon so Xodus updated the code on the 1.3's while updating it to make the chip compatible with the newer xbox's. The hardware is exactly the same apparently so i'm not going to buy the same chip twice! Not for one of them and especially not for the 4 i bought. And also your customers is your business, you don't ignore them when they ask you reasonable questions. Yes, it maybe too much to ask but we ain't going to know that if we don't get a response.

Thanks again Arakon for sheding some light on this subject.

#14 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Arakon @ Oct 14 2003, 02:26 PM)
the code on the controller has to be updated, that can't be done with the normal programmer or from the xbox.

Do you know that? Or are you repeating what I speculated in the other thread?

As for "they aint going to tell us cos they would loose buisness" that is rubbish.

Most if not all the V1.0 Chameleons sold to vendors will have already left the shelves. Vendors wont suddenly stop buying V1.3 chameleons because all of a sudden they can now use the box of unsold V1.0's they have in the back of the shop.

If I understand the pricing, a V1.3 is the same price as a V1.0

It's not a monetary thing. It's either :

1) I'm barking up the wrong tree and there is a physical difference between versions.

2) It's complicated to re-program the controller, requires additional hardware / software and basically Team Xodus dont want the hassle of people bugging them how to do it.

3) Cloning. With the microcode (binary image call it what you will!) for the controller, someone could make a clone of the chameleon.

Personally I favour number 3, as it is the only logical reason, however I think the odds of someone doing that are nil.

Cheers

Alex

#15 dweebus

dweebus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 03:33 PM

C'MON XODUS!

This REALLY needs an answer...I have a ton of v1.0 Chameleon chips on the shelf that now can't be used....

Help us out here Xodus!

Edited by dweebus, 16 October 2003 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users