• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 -shinobi-

-shinobi-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 12:02 AM

sad.gif Hey ppl.. i just modded my box with a cheapmod. executor2.
now, i was able to ftp to it and copy all my files across, eg: apps,emulators,etc.
during the transfer time the box froze, so i resetted, and continued the rest.
Now.. when i turn it on it freezes at different times.
eg: if i leave it off overnight, turn it on in the morning, i can get say about 2 to 3 mins time on it before it freezes (during that time i can say watch an avi file with wbmp, or loadup an emulator, etc, but not enough time to actually play a game on it.
if i switch it off for 10 seconds, then switch it on, it freezes during the green bobble intro.
if i switch it off for over a minute, it stays on for about 10-15 seconds (during the evox menu at that stage) and freezes.
I'm thinking something on the board may be heating up or shorting somewhere, i triple checked all the soldering joints and they all seem fine. Has anyone had this problem before and overcome it?? or does anyone have any clues on how to fix this?? please let us know.. much appreciated!

#2 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 October 2003 - 05:49 PM

I have had the exact same issue.
I believe it to be a power supply issue. Try unplugging your HDD and DVD. (after the problem appears and you box is freezing durring the flubber animation) You should be able to boot the entire animation. plug the drives back in and the problem should reappear.

I'm still working on this.
-nB

#3 -shinobi-

-shinobi-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 09:52 PM

nb.. i've tried disconnecting the hd and booting up but it still freezes, also with both hd and dvd rom, still freezes during the bobble. but mayve its freezing coz its looking for the drives and cant find them? as if it was unmodded it would bootup and go straight to the screen of death if i didnt have the drives plugged. but since its modded, theres no screen of death, it just freezes during the animation. im thinking it could be a power supply problem aswell, but why would it be? if it was working fine before the mod. very strange?

#4 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 10:20 PM

the bobble animation is before it looks for drives.
I don't know. I am going to try something tonight, hopefully I have some good results to post tommorow smile.gif
-nB

#5 -shinobi-

-shinobi-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 01:58 AM

cool.. im looking forward for the positive results! wink.gif

#6 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:02 PM

Ok, some results:

I ran the whole box in a warm environment (27 C) and the box, once warmed up, dies as expected.
Switch environment to cold (0 C) and the box works great (so all we have to do is run it in the freezer dry.gif )

Ok, so it's a thermal issue. rolleyes.gif

I know that's not too far but I had a few things come up. I'm going to experiment more today. (I have half the day off)

-nB

#7 -shinobi-

-shinobi-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:44 PM

thats good news nb.. i thought something would be heating up huh.gif
geez.. i wish i had at least half-a-day off!! someones lucky!
i had a closer look at the box last night, on the board. if you go here..
http://warmcat.com/m...p/cheapmod.html
and have a look at the first pic he has put of the board you'll see up the top C7C4
now, under both of them (u can't really tell clearly in the pic) there's a tiny white piece (i'm not sure, but it might be a tiny transistor of some sort) well on my board, the is one under the C7 but the one under C4 is missing, it prob came off while i was soldering the ground wire (coz i gave it to a mate to un-soldered it and sodler it again but this time under the board).
I'm thinking this may be important for the heating error?? not sure though. unsure.gif

#8 CaccolaUS

CaccolaUS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:35 AM

Any news? I have exactly the same problem...
Thanks a lot!

#9 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:14 PM

that cap is just a bypass cap. Likely don't even need it for the box to run smile.gif
-nB

#10 side

side

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:38 PM

Well, to be pragmatic i would said:

1) Remove the chip and give us results.
2) what kind of chip is it exactly, any link to the place where you bought it ?

regards

#11 CaccolaUS

CaccolaUS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:32 PM

I have a lpcmod, but my X is freezing with and without it. I think it's a PSU problem, couse it usually happen when the HD starts spinning or during the boot... then I have a Maxtor 120gb hd, which maybe drains more power then the original one.
Anyway I find out a TV repair guy who is going to check every PSU component, I'll let you know.

Ciao from Italy!

#12 -shinobi-

-shinobi-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:38 AM

side.. the chip is a cheapmod and it works fine, i have it on another box, you can checkout the details here.. http://warmcat.com/m...p/cheapmod.html
nothing else is modified.. ie/ same hd, same dvdplayer,etc
but i cant think of any other reason it would do it other than the problem with the cap.
its a (timing) problem, something is heating up very quickly, but i cant sense any heat from the board?? weird? blink.gif
as it depends on how long you turn it off for..
turn it off for 3 seconds turn it on = frozen during start of green bobble
turn it off for 10 seconds turn it on = frozen during end of green bobble
turn it off for 15 seconds turn it on = frozen during xbox logo
turn it off for over an hour and it goes into evox all ok, i can watch a divx on xbmp for about 2mins then freezes, try to start a game = forget about it! lol
hope that explains the problem thoroughly.. if you have any ideas, please dont hesitate to post it.. thanks. cool.gif

#13 CaccolaUS

CaccolaUS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:28 AM

shinobi, my box is doing exactly like yours. If this can mean something, I added more power drain by adding a fan and guess what happened? The X was freezing quite always after 3 secs the power up and I was able to hear the HD not finishing the spin up. My box is 1.1 rev.

#14 kneehighspy

kneehighspy

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:vintage console coding (vectrex, 5200, colecovision) vintage pc coding (apple ][, c64 & amiga 1000).
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:49 AM

-shinobi-

to help you out a little, there is no resistor at C7C4 on a v1.1 board (I'm looking at one with my lenscope now). There is one at R7C9 (to it's left) and R7C8 (left and lower) and a capacitor C7D1 to the very far right next to the LPC header. but there is no resistor at C7C4. It's labeled for a capacitor, but of course there is no capacitor there either.

if it's a heat related matter, you can take a normal can of air, turn it upside down and spray the section of the board you think is getting hot, then power up the box, try this several times, then you will know for sure it's heat related (with the mod removed of course, make the box normal again).

also, double check your solder joints on the lpc headers on the mainboard, make sure they are solid. sounds like if the box gets warm perhaps one of the lpc pins comes away and the box freezes.

...kneehighspy

Edited by kneehighspy, 22 October 2003 - 11:58 AM.

#15 networkBoy

networkBoy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 02:20 PM

I have a soldered LPC and was getting the same thing. I believe it is a problem on the 3.3 volt rail on the PSU.
I've been working on this for some time on and off, I just don't have as much free time as I used to.
-nB

Edited by networkBoy, 23 October 2003 - 02:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users