7 replies to this topic

#1 GoomBee

GoomBee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 01:46 AM

Hello to all, and especially BenJeremy,

I modded my Xbox couple of months ago by myself, and a friend of mine recommended EvoX to be installed as a dash, so I did. Two weeks ago I decided to give all dashboards a go and choose the best in my eyes, and I can tell you that MXM wins by far rolleyes.gif.

Last week I started configuring MXM and just finished installing it as a primary dashboard last night @ 3:00am; anyway here are my minor issues with MXM:

1. Time taken to initialize in MXM is longer than EvoX (even with a simple skin, why?)
2. MXM isnít smooth like EvoX when moving up/down to select an option in the menu (maybe Iím being fussy, but when I compare it to Evox it doesnít look good).
3. No IGR with M7 sad.gif.

The first and second points donít bother me much, but the third one is quite annoying for me at the moment because I have to walk to the Xbox and power off/on to get back to MXM. Hopefully BenJeremy will fix this.

I would like to thank and congratulate BenJeremy for such a dash.

GoomBee

#2 dman7

dman7

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:11 AM

You can reset the Xbox using MXM with the crontroller by Pressing the left and right triggers and the two outter black buttons which are on opposite sides of each other(the back button and the other black button next to the white).

As far as it taking time to load up...it's really not that bad. Mine takes like 4 seconds at the most. If you want to cut down on loading time try editing your Xecuter BIOS(assumeing that is what your using) with XBtool and cut out the animation and then, of course, reflashing your chip with the newly edited bios. Make sure you use MXM ver 9.n.4 if you do this.

Also, on another note on loading time...if your xbox is ftped into your computer with the computer on when the xbox is booted up it will boot up quicker. If you xbox isn't ftped into your computer upon boot up it will take a couple of extra seconds to look for the FTP connection when it's not there.

Try different skins....some look better than others.Waterworld and Fusion are really good ones and diffently smooth).

-dman

#3 GoomBee

GoomBee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 04:04 AM

Thank you dman7,

You can reset the Xbox using MXM with the crontroller by Pressing the left and right triggers and the two outter black buttons which are on opposite sides of each other(the back button and the other black button next to the white).

This is x2 IGR. I'm using M7 and the combination for that is L+R+Back+Start and it doesn't work at the moment. BenJeremy knows about it and he'll fix it soon biggrin.gif correct BenJeremy?

As far as it taking time to load up...it's really not that bad. Mine takes like 4 seconds at the most. If you want to cut down on loading time try editing your Xecuter BIOS(assumeing that is what your using) with XBtool and cut out the animation and then, of course, reflashing your chip with the newly edited bios. Make sure you use MXM ver 9.n.4 if you do this.

I was refering to the initialization stage only. EvoX is alot faster than MXM dry.gif.

Also, on another note on loading time...if your xbox is ftped into your computer with the computer on when the xbox is booted up it will boot up quicker. If you xbox isn't ftped into your computer upon boot up it will take a couple of extra seconds to look for the FTP connection when it's not there.

I think you mean "linked" not "ftped". I will try that when I get home.

Try different skins....some look better than others.Waterworld and Fusion are really good ones and diffently smooth).

I will try that when I get home, thanx.

#4 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:54 AM

IGR may happen for MXM, but I'm concentrating on other issues at the moment. Most people are happy with X2 BIOSes, and Team Xecuter will hopefully have a 1.4/1.5 compatible BIOS soon, eliminating the need for the M7 for people - however, my plan is ultimately to recreate the X2 IGR as a patch, if possible. I would like to avoid the "Evo-X" IGR method like the plague, if possible.

As for initialization, Evo-X "may" be quicker, but it's hard to tell, since it really doesn't show anything until it's ready to. I could turn the init screen off entirely, and you'd certainly perceive a shorter load time, but only because you would see nothing until it was ready. I don't think this is ultimately helpful, though, as MXM is designed to display the stages of initialization, which help diagnose problems in configuration and such (with the exception of the "Big F" bug - which is fixed in the next release - MXM is fairly robust when it comes to startup). Nevertheless, I will be working on speeding this up tremendously.

Smoothness is another issue I will be pounding on.MXM is a fairly complex system... most of the "jerkiness" is caused by one of three things: 1) Normal time to load images and sound FX, 2) hard dive/bandwidth issues and 3) newsfeed client issues. The second problem can be worse sometimes when the hard drive is getting "funky" - I have a 30GB drive on my dev box that gets questionable at times. The Third problem is one I'm working on at the moment.

#5 theultimatechuff

theultimatechuff

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:57 AM

M7 does not have IGR, the IGR you were using previously is a feature of the evox dashboard. Unless you have a 1.4 / 1.5 xbox use Xecuter 4977 for IGR (unless you are correct and BJ plans to implement dash IGR soon).

Edit : Ya beaten to it, nvm

Edited by theultimatechuff, 09 October 2003 - 09:58 AM.

#6 Gmc

Gmc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:29 AM

Have you made your own cache_menu.xml yet? MxM boots up in like 3 seconds with one.

#7 GoomBee

GoomBee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:23 AM

M7 does not have IGR, the IGR you were using previously is a feature of the evox dashboard. Unless you have a 1.4 / 1.5 xbox use Xecuter 4977 for IGR (unless you are correct and BJ plans to implement dash IGR soon).

You are correct, M7 doesn't have IGR, it's in EvoX dash. Thank you.

Have you made your own cache_menu.xml yet? MxM boots up in like 3 seconds with one.

Thank you for pointing this my friend. After enabling cache_menu.xml it now boots up in 3-4 seconds; very close to EvoX beerchug.gif. But now I have a question: If I remove all autodir from my menu.xml, can I disable cache_menu.xml? Because my understanding to cache_menu.xml is it caches the results from autodir in menu.xml.

IGR may happen for MXM, but I'm concentrating on other issues at the moment. Most people are happy with X2 BIOSes, and Team Xecuter will hopefully have a 1.4/1.5 compatible BIOS soon, eliminating the need for the M7 for people - however, my plan is ultimately to recreate the X2 IGR as a patch, if possible. I would like to avoid the "Evo-X" IGR method like the plague, if possible.

BenJeremy you are a legend.
As soon as you release the latest MXM, I will be flashing my bios with X2 4977 so I can get IGR working again.

#8 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 October 2003 - 12:34 AM

If all of your entries are "hard coded" - there's no reason to have the cache enabled (though I will be streamlining all of this in the near future, at any rate.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users