• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thomes08

thomes08

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:XBOX! HOCKEY! POT AND SHROOMS! BEER!

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:34 PM

ok i'm trying slowly but surely to get my damn case started. Now i find out that my original plans wont work, which fucks me over cause i made my IDE cable just the right size and anything else wont work. my problem is in my MOBO there are 3 big capacitors in a row, and they can't be there.... would it be ok if i broke them off and extended them with some thin wire a few inches just to get them out of the way. To me this would work just fine but i dont know that much about the way these things work

thanks a lot

thomes08

#2 krobby

krobby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:46 PM

yeah.. that should work.. don't 'break' them off as you say though, desolder them do a good job so you can easily solder them back on later if you need to.

#3 thomes08

thomes08

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 05:52 PM

yeah yeah yeah haha i won't break them off like how i made it sound
thanks a lot man

thomes08

#4 Glycerine

Glycerine

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 07:40 PM

I wouldn't desolder them. The points may connect at different spots inside the motherboard pcb. I don't know if it's a multilayer pcb and they do or not, but hell, why take chances? I'd snip the legs off if possible, leaving just enough to solder to on both the cap and the board. Just be careful around the caps with the soldering iron. And like you said, keep the run short and try to use same gauge wire as the legs.

#5 krobby

krobby

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 07:42 PM

it's not multilayer

#6 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 October 2003 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (krobby @ Oct 11 2003, 02:42 PM)
it's not multilayer

Yes it is!!!

I wouldn't do this!!
QUOTE (Andrew "bunnie" Huang)
For the curious and the hardware-minded: the xbox motherboard is a 4-layer board. so most signals ought to be on the outside of the board

bunnie is the author of Hacking the Xbox

Edited by brahm2, 11 October 2003 - 08:21 PM.

#7 thomes08

thomes08

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 09:17 PM

ok, this is what i was planning on doing. i was going to bend it back and forth carefully until it comes off, extend then like an inch or so just so they are not sticking straight up, with real small wire that i have. the same wire that's in phone cables.... actually it is the wire in phone cables. what do you think?

thomes08

#8 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 October 2003 - 09:24 PM

Me, personally? I wouldn't mess with a mobo if you paid me to, but the last thing I want to see in an hour is "Dudez I broek my mobo lolol"

smile.gif

#9 TykSak

TykSak

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Interests:Modding Electronic equipment, websites and stuff ;)
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 October 2003 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (thomes08 @ Oct 11 2003, 11:17 PM)
ok, this is what i was planning on doing. i was going to bend it back and forth carefully until it comes off

Solder them off dont break them off and see if you can find some thicker wire to extend them

#10 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 October 2003 - 03:15 AM

The fact that it's a multilayer motherboard doesn't present any extra problems. Even if the capacitors are connected to internal layers, they are connected to the holes which are through plated (the holes are plated all the way through the mobo, making contact with any internal layers if necessary). If you solder a new wire into the holes, instead of the legs of the capacitor, you'll still make the necessary connections. I would personally desolder the capacitors, then solder in the new wires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users