LumbraX

BANNED AGAIN - Multiple Abuses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Interests:skateboarding
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 November 2002 - 06:02 AM

What is alt.********.**.*****.****? How do I access it?

alt.********.**.*****.**** is a News-Group. To acess this News-Group contact your ISP "Internet Service Provider" and ask them for your local News-Server which should be something like news.central.comcast.net. Once you have you News-Server download a prgram called GrabIt, which can be found here http://www.shemes.com/grabit/. When you first run this program for the first time it will ask you to enter your News-Server which in my case would be news.central.comcast.net. Then Click O.K. Next click on "All Groups" and then click on "Update List". Then after this is done their should be a list of all the News-Groups, scroll down till you reach alt.whatever.whatever then right click,subscribe. Then highlight the group on the Left Hand Side and click on "Update Group". To download them right click on the file and click on GrabIt. If you would like to watch your files download click on "Batch".

NOTE: There are alot of other News Programs you can use to download stuff. GrabIt is what I think is personally the best though. GOOD LUCK!
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif beerchug.gif

MOD EDIT: Removed all potential for piracy. General newsgroup FAQ.

Edited by Xeero, 17 April 2003 - 08:29 PM.

#2 whoadae

whoadae

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:52 PM

I was on there last night, I use agent news reader. I think I'll try grabit when I get home tonight. I want something that downloads as easily and has a queue like flashfxp. I hate haveing to download all attachments and then save each file into my directories. Agent is good at seaching, but not sorting or downloading.

#3 DARKjojo

DARKjojo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Gaming 24/7
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2003 - 12:28 AM

I personally feel that Agent NewsReader is the best. You can read about and download it here.

#4 LumbraX

LumbraX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 03:15 AM

Why is GrabIt decoding my Binaries into txt files?

Ive been getting quite a few PM's latly saying that GrabIt is decoding your binaries into txt files. I dont know why this is. I and 80% of people that download binaries with GrabIt dont have a problem. Its not a Mime issue or anything like that, its just a very very very strange Bug. The solution to this problem is to go download XNews or Newsbin.
(Im sorry for anyone who had these issues, if I would knew about them I would of said that at first. But im one who hasnt had a single problem with GrabIt. (Thats why I recommended it)

http://newsbin.com/ (Newsbin)

http://xnews.newsguy.com/ (XNews)

Understand I think that using this tutorial to download Xbox games is Illegal (Piracy). If anyone at all has a problem with it I will delete it A.S.A.P. (This includes XanTium,Syrus,and all the X-S Mods, and offcourse MS. smile.gif Enjoy Your Day.

Edited by Xeero, 01 July 2003 - 04:32 AM.

#5 LumbraX

LumbraX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 10:21 PM

What are .PAR files? (Tut 3) Addon 2

What are .PAR files? Par files are files that RECOVER Missing, Corrupted, or Incomplete .RAR Files. To use the .PAR files you will need to download a program called "SmartPar". The .RAR files must be in the same directory as the .PAR files are. Click on anyone of the .PAR files and SmartPar will popup and start checking all the files. If a file is Corrupt, Missing, or Incomplete (After its dont checking all the files in the set) it will automatically start Recovering the files.

Dont ask me how it works, because I dont know. The only thing I know is that they work.
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Edited by LumbraX, 11 March 2003 - 03:24 AM.

#6 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 March 2003 - 10:36 PM

.....NewsGroup Information.....

for releases NFOnews
for a newsgroup reader use Newsbin Pro

Good Work LumbraX

#7 LumbraX

LumbraX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:20 AM

Why cant I find alt.********.**.*****.**** on my NewsSever?

Well sad to say, this normally means that your ISP (NewsServer) has blocked access to alt.********.**.*****.****. You could always pay for a Newserver though, such as EasyNews and the others out their. If your using GrabIt and you cant find it though, dont give up, download XNews or Newsbin and see if it appears in their. (GrabIt is nicest looking, doesnt mean its stablist though) sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Just look hard and then harder before you give up though. ::

Edited by Xeero, 17 April 2003 - 11:31 AM.

#8 LumbraX

LumbraX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:20 AM

Need anymore help?

If you need anymore help just PM me.

Please check the whole FAQ and Search the forum though before you PM me. I get alot of PM's aday and sometimes it gets annoying when people ask questions that have been answered 1000's and 1000's of times. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

(If you want to say Thank You to me for this InFamous Tut feel free to PM me) HEhE biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by LumbraX, 11 March 2003 - 03:23 AM.

#9 crock_EG

crock_EG

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:39 AM

My isp must have blocked that news group because it does not show - however you can use a filter in Grabit so I told it to show all the groups with Xbox in it. There are loads of them smile.gif

#10 Dizturbed

Dizturbed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:32 PM

does it have to be your own isps newsgroup, couldnt i just copy someone elses as i doubt very much my isp has a newsgroup.

#11 LumbraX

LumbraX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 08:24 PM

Thank You for editing it Xeero, :-)

#12 Sh0wty

Sh0wty

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 04:20 PM

For Some reason Grab it gives me an authentication error. Other programs like Xnews work fine. I like Grab it because its simple to use. Any ideas why grabit gives this prob?

#13 LumbraX

LumbraX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 09:31 PM

Nope Sh0wty Not a Clue...

Now for people to know, I do NOT!!! have access to a newserver anymore. So I cannot support this FAQ/Tutorial anymore. Please ask someone else.

We moved to Lakeland Florida and the newserver here sucks and isnt useable and they dont like me cause im black. wink.gif

#14 Cofi

Cofi

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:52 AM

Does anyone know how those trial news-servers work? How much can I download for free? And for how long time? Do I need a Credit-card?

#15 DcMaStAh

DcMaStAh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:20 PM

Id like to add a tad bit, LumbraX...
how pars work:
pars are basically just using the theory of a+b=c
with any two parts, you can find out the whole..
so C-b=a and c-a=b...
Oh, and if this wasnt already added, 1 par = 1 rar, 2 par = 2 rar and so on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users