• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Deadpool2000

Deadpool2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:31 AM

If anyone finds that they're isps news server sucks, they just don't have one, and what not, you can go here: http://freenews.maxbaud.net/ they have hundreds of free news servers listed. just copy the server name into whatever program you use. I'm suprised no one's posted anything like this yet.

#17 robert5earl

robert5earl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:movies,music,games.

Posted 10 August 2003 - 05:55 PM

FS-raid ia a good par program to use and easy smile.gif

#18 vidgms4me

vidgms4me

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 August 2003 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (LumbraX @ Mar 9 2003, 12:15 AM)
Why is GrabIt decoding my Binaries into txt files?

Ive been getting quite a few PM's latly saying that GrabIt is decoding your binaries into txt files. I dont know why this is. I and 80% of people that download binaries with GrabIt dont have a problem. Its not a Mime issue or anything like that, its just a very very very strange Bug. The solution to this problem is to go download XNews or Newsbin.
(Im sorry for anyone who had these issues, if I would knew about them I would of said that at first. But im one who hasnt had a single problem with GrabIt. (Thats why I recommended it)

I found the solution to this in the GrabIt FAQ:

• yEnc files are saved as .txt files
    This problem is caused (by the program used) by the poster. An yEnc file should have a specific subjectline: the filename should have quotes ("") and the word yEnc should be in it. If these rules are not followed grabit won't recognize the yEnc file and it will be saved as .txt
          You can still decode the files by using an yEnc decoder: for example ydec which can be downloaded here

• Files are saved as .txt files (not yEnc)
    If it's saved as txt files, grabit couldn't decode it. these are usually MIME posts. you can decode them using an external decoder. For example Fastcode32

#19 MrBoffo

MrBoffo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:38 PM

FAQ: Missing/Incomplete binaries

If you usually cannot download software from binaries groups due to missing sections, your local ISP may be expiring large binaries very quickly.

When you look for something you may find a bunch of parts missing because those parts arrived earlier, and were quickly deleted (within 24 hours) to make room for the next big files coming in.

In this situation, you need a news server with a very long retention time, that will hold all posts for at least a week or two after posting, no matter how big they are.

To get a really long retention time, you'll end up having to go with a commercial news server that requires a subscription. Some examples:

SuperNews

EasyNews

1Usenet

Or for a huge selection of News providers, just go here:

http://www.usenet-provider.com/

#20 MrBoffo

MrBoffo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 08:47 PM

FAQ: On usenet, email is forever!

If you'd like spam that just never ever goes away, merely post something on usenet with your real email address.

You may not be aware of this, but most non-binary groups are archived by Google (and originally by Deja-News and others). Any message that has ever been posted since about 1981 can probably be found searching Google Groups:

Post from Feb 4, 1982 on Google groups

Be very careful to never use a "real" email address or phone number on Usenet, or that email account will be haunted by neverending spam, pretty much forever.

#21 manichispanic

manichispanic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:29 AM

To search the newsgroups use www.newzbin.com

#22 tommy2hotty

tommy2hotty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:24 PM

Where is there a 100gb cache?? What happens when this is up??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users