1 reply to this topic

#1 JonnyR69

JonnyR69

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 01:55 PM

Ok here goes, I have this system set up, but I know I am not geting surround sound.

The system I am using is this: Logitech® Z-640

It says it's dolby digital 5.1 but I know it cant be outputting that because, while the sound is good, you can really tell if for example a car is to your back left or front left. If that makes any sense.

So my question is: How can I get dd5.1 with this system setup? Would I have to use the digital output on the Monster cable and that's the only way or is my stereo system just not capable of having dd5.1?

Also that system does not have digital inputs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 SigTom

SigTom

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:18 PM

JohnnyR69:

After looking at the link you supplied to the speakers you have, the logitech ones, it seems those are JUST speakers, there is no Dolby Digital Decoder at all, so if you dont have a decoder, you wont get Dolby Digital sound.

System Requirements
PC

* For 5.1 surround sound: any 4 or 6 channel sound card
    * For Dolby Digital 5.1 sound: sound card or software DVD player with built-in Dolby Digital decoding

Video game consoles

* A PlayStation®, PlayStation®2, Xbox™, or Nintendo GameCube™ using stereo RCA (red and white) audio cables

TV

* TV with stereo RCA audio output jacks (stereo RCA cable not included)

Thats from the site. If you want DDS from your PC, you have to have a decoder card. If they are hooked up to your TV or gaming console, itll JUST be regular stereo sound, as you are only using RCA cable to connect the speakers to the XBox/TV. Make sense?

If you want to have true DDS 5.1 or any other sort of Dolby or Digital or THX sound, youll need to get a reciever like this, which is what I have. Now it doesnt have to be that expensive, or have all those options, but it needs to be a reciever that can decode the signal you want to hear. DDS, THX, DD 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc. You get the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users