Photo

Best Way To Upgrade From 120gb To 250 Gb?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jsmith

Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 08:24 PM

Ok...I asked this in newbie chat, but they're still stuck on the fact that, they say you can't replace your dvd drive with a second hard drive. Since you folks say that you can (provided you use a bios with the no dvd-rom check), I'm gonna post this here instead.

Here's the situation. I don't want to lose my data on the 120 gb currently in my Xbox. I want to upgrade to a 250 gb though and want to transfer the games to the new one. I don't have any free space on my PC, so I can't ftp them over first. I also don't have a second Xbox, so I can't just do an Xbox direct connect.

Here was my plan. Tell me if you think it will work, and/or if you think there is a better way:

1. Take out old hard drive...Put in new one...Format it and install applications.
2. Disconnect IDE cable from DVD Drive and connect it to old hard drive.
3. Use a power splitter to give power to both hdds
4. Boot, and use file manager to move games from old hdd to new hdd

The only alternative I can think of is if it's possible for a PC to read an Xbox hard drive, then I can put the old one in my PC and ftp to the new one in the Xbox. I assume there's no way a PC can read a fatX drive though....Correct?

#2 Jsmith

Jsmith

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 02:00 AM

Just talked to the author of XBTool. He said the DVD Rom check option still won't allow you to have 2 hard drives working at once. One won't be detected he said.

#3 Palmore

Palmore

ProjectDeck.Xbox-Scene.Com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 October 2003 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (Jsmith @ Oct 15 2003, 04:00 AM)
Just talked to the author of XBTool. He said the DVD Rom check option still won't allow you to have 2 hard drives working at once. One won't be detected he said.

Thought that was the case =( hopefully soon that wont be wink.gif

As for the other question.... well never tried it, but maybe something like Norton's Ghost? Just mirror the drive..

not sure if ghost would support the xbox's FAT now that I thinging about it, pretty sure it's not a typical fat32 or ntfs, but then again, ghost may work...

Never hurts to try =)

#4 a9h3x

a9h3x

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 15 October 2003 - 03:10 AM

heres what you could do a bit complicated but its your only way... format the 250 in ur pc send all the shit to it
then format the 120 for pc send the stuff from the 250 to the 120 then format the 250 for xbox and ftp the stuff from the 120 to the 250 simple enough?

#5 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 October 2003 - 03:20 AM

What's wrong with backing up your originals to the new drive using dvd2xbox???

#6 damatrixz

damatrixz

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 October 2003 - 03:46 AM

if u have ghost
boot it with the 120 gig on the primary master
boot the 250 on the 2dary master
put the ghost disk in the floppy drive, not the cd rom drive
turn the pc on, the button that says on
when it loads it should automatically boot, if not, make sure u have power to the pc, make sure the house does not have an outage, then when it loads ghost
exit out, dats rite damnit exit out

then input

ghosttype /ir

this will allow ghost to reload with support for fatx, which normal ghost does not

and copy

reason for my sarcasim
http://forums.xbox-s...19&t=114020&hl=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users