• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zredbaron

zredbaron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 04:37 AM

i have the xbit installed in my xbox. it worked first time i fired it up. the damn thing is brand new and i have had nothing but smooth installs aside from the fact that ftp isnt working yet. i came home tonight and it wouldnt boot. it would hesitate like the power was hiccupping or something. it would start to power up, the fan would spin for half a second then stop. then start. then stop. then fail. blink red green red green. why? so i try reflashing xbit, same thing. i try using the MS bios. samething. then it randomly works. odd. i continue my mission to try and ftp. my ftp repeatedly hung up. then one time when i turned it off and back on i get the hiccups and blinking again. i reflash. no dice, i cant get the xbox to respond to ANYTHING.

please help!

#2 moistness

moistness

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:58 AM

sounds like you installed it using the pogo pins and the pins have come out of alignment!!

reposition it or, if you or someone you know can solder it then so much the better!

in my opinion pogos should only be used as a last resort!

#3 gadgetaddict

gadgetaddict

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 01:05 PM

sounds to me like your problems are not xbit related - make sure you have your cables firmly plugged in. try your xbox without the xbit - if you still have trouble, it's your box or connections. if your box works fine without the xbit, then make sure the bios is properly flashed, and the xbit is firmly installed. try using a different colored bios (I like M7 with xbtool) to make sure all is good. also, try the xbit without drives installed to see if the colored bios comes up.

#4 zredbaron

zredbaron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 10:19 PM

yes i am having MAJOR problems. if i pull the xbit out, i get orange/green 3x. how is this different than the red/green 3x flashing? by the way i installed the Niteman_Xenomorphic_EVOX_Installer which i now think might not have been the wisest idea. after i did that i never could run the ms dash even on stealth mode.

update: i have scratched the d0 bit lightly and havent seen the red/grn since, which makes me want to agree that i have another problem. i have been checking other wires but have had no changes yet.

what could possibly by loose? there arent any connections hardly other than the controllers. i have the hdd and dvd drives disconnected b/c i am under the impression from other posts that i should still be able to get green without them.

thanks again.

#5 zredbaron

zredbaron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 10:22 PM

and yes, im using the pogo pins. also in case it wasnt clear, i get orange/grn both with the xbit installed and with it removed.

question:
with the Niteman_Xenomorphic_EVOX_Installer
used, should i still get the ms dash with xbit removed? or did that installer move the necessary files? (i am under the impression it did)

thanks.

#6 Ksw1

Ksw1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 October 2003 - 10:35 PM

"....by the way i installed the Niteman_Xenomorphic_EVOX_Installer which i now think might not have been the wisest idea. after i did that i never could run the ms dash even on stealth mode. "

Just Curious..... Did you happen to backup your original files before you installed the above mentioned software?

#7 zredbaron

zredbaron

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 10:49 PM

no i didnt. i know, stupid me. i didnt have any savegames on it at all. i wanted to but couldnt get ftp working. i finally did and was going to undo the installer but then this happened again.

is the hard drive file system readable by windows? can i set it as a slave in my pc and move files around or no?

#8 motar

motar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 12:36 AM

Im stuck with the same problem. Soderless Xbit worked fine for a couple days, then like said earlier it began to Hiccup when powering up, almost as if the power cord were not properly secured. I removed my xbit, and the xbox works fine. Reinstalled my xbit, the led comes on but It will not load my m7 or evox bios. ANyone who can lend some insight would be greatly appreciated.

#9 motar

motar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 12:57 AM

Just reformatted, and reflashed bios m7 bios on bank 6 and evox on bank 5. I can still play a normal game with the ms bios, but the xbit board is simply not loading any bios. Led is on, d0 is alligned, can anyone help?

Edited by motar, 25 October 2003 - 08:18 AM.

#10 motar

motar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:54 AM

OK, so I figured out that its my d0 point pogo pins that are screwed up. They will not stay depressed. Right now, ive got a zippo balanced on top of them, and everything is working fine. I was hoping someone could show me an alternative to this method.

#11 fracture

fracture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 01:15 PM

I'm just now entering this problem myself tonight unfortunately. Pogo-pinned X-bit in my roommate's v1.3 Xbox has worked flawlessly for about a month w/ 250gb WD SE hdd (locked) and Evox 3921. I was playing around with some HDTV settings in the new CVS compile of XBMP (Oct 13 I think) and the graphics got noticeably chunkier, even after a reboot and trying to load into some games off the HDD. I powered it down to give it a cold boot, and now it's hiccupping endlessly. My colormod LED will show up only for a second before it reboots and goes back to green. I never get any video out of it ever. I enabled stealth mode on the X-bit hoping it would boot normally into my xbox dash (how it's done previously), but I'm getting three reboots and then flashing red/green... Doesn't look good. I'm tired now but it looks like I'll be reseating his X-bit and trying the factory drive some time today.

X-bit in my v1.3 Xbox is still working great... *fingers crossed*

Anyone else having this problem? It's kind of concerning... His X-box hasn't moved since we got the mod installed, and I have a hard time believing any of the settings in XBMP would have such a damaging effect on his hardware, although depending on the quality of the code, I guess it's not impossible.

Edited by fracture, 26 October 2003 - 01:18 PM.

#12 fracture

fracture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 02:29 PM

Update:

Sleep while the Xbox in my living room isn't booting? Probably not.

I tried all the bioses on my X-bit to no avail; I formatted the chip and put just Evox M7 on there, which was the bios I always had the best luck with. I physically took the X-bit out of the Xbox and firmly reinstalled it, making sure all my pogopins were springy and I was making good contact. If anything, I did get it on there more firmly than it was before. Still showing same symptoms when trying to boot; with modchip on, I get perpetual reboots (red LED will only show for < 1 sec before rebooting back to green). If I turn the modchip off via the 4th dip switch, I get three reboots and then flashing green/red.

Here's the even shittier part: I completely took the mod out and put his retail hard drive back in, and the Xbox will boot, but we get no video [only the soothing sounds of the M$ dash ='(].

So maybe XBMP did jack his video card up trying to attain impossible resolutions or something similarly awkward. Has anyone heard about this? Now that I think this could be a hardware problem _caused_ by software/xbmp, I have a little bit more forum searching to do.

#13 fracture

fracture

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 03:33 PM

Turns out my problem was not X-bit related.

I found out that the Xbox stores its resolution settings in the EEPROM, and XBMP had somehow junked that up. I used Enigmah's Video Mode switcher with my mod installed, hit the B button after it loaded, and then rebooted, and all is well again. Thanks to uchuff in #xbins-help and DDay in #xbmp!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users