• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 smoker007

smoker007

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 02:07 AM

Okay, before you just read and assume that I am a nube and l move on to the next post, lets get this astablished right now. I have read every friggen tutorial that xbox-scene has to offer and quite a few others. I have years at soldering and I am quite computer literate. Now having that out of the way, this is my problem....

built a homebrew mod, hot flashed the chip (29F002-- the place where I purchased the chip list it as a 29F020) using an msi mobo that I had laying around using uniflash. flashed with superfro's evox-color-err 2.5, poped the chip in, powered up the xbox and low and behold it worked... initally, then I rebooted in an attempt to load evolutionx's dashboard from CD-RW. I could only get versoin 1.8.458 to boot from cd-rw. Okay I shut everything down to so I could do a little more reading before I actually started transfering stuff over from my pc (divx, boxplorer, etc.). Turned system back on and nothing, sometimes I would get a steady green light, but most of the time I would get the red/green flashing accompanied by the shut down/restart. So I thought... lose connection right? Okay rechecked all my solder connection... touched up the ones that I thought might be bad, and nothing except the same thing. So I thought that mabe they sent me the wrong chip so I download the specs for the 29F020 along with the spec sheet for the onboard bois for the xbox. (the chip that in being used on my xbox is a 40pin tsop type HY29F080-90) along with the pinouts for both. Having diagram of homebrew mod and pinout of both chips I, took my xbox back apart and with my trusty ohm-meter set to beep mode, I systematicaly checked every pin one by one A0-A17, D0-D7, VCC, CE, OE, VPP, PMG.. I mean I checked them all. How you ask? like so.. with mod still connected and taking measurements from socket that I installed to house the chip, I checked from pin 2 of socket (which is A16) to the pin that corresponsed to that particular data line right on my xbox mobo-bois(pin3), now I did this for every friggen pin on the mod chip. I even added the components to make the scematic more stable. But nothing seems to work, all I get now is a solid green lighted button, no audio, no video, nothing. Has anyone had this problem and if so can you give me some advice. Thanks uhh.gif uhh.gif uhh.gif

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 November 2002 - 02:51 AM

Well, for starters, you can't "eyeball" the solder points.

I assume you have a multimeter... track down the data sheet for a Flash chip (probably 29F080) TSOP-44 package. Find the BIOS chip on the motherboard and check, line-for-line each pin against the matching one on your own homebrew (A0-A19, D0-D7, etc) and verify THOSE are solid connections.

#3 zombie4rave

zombie4rave

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:17 AM

Umm...Isn't that what he said he did??

#4 fizgig10

fizgig10

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 03:21 AM

Does the NVIDIA chip on your xbox not have a fan? (hint hint...)

#5 smoker007

smoker007

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 08:04 AM

No, there is no fan on the small nvidia chip, however there is a small fan mounted next to the processor. I don't get the hint.

#6 Hammy

Hammy

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 November 2002 - 11:23 AM

40 pin,shit my mod chip which is homebrew and installed by me is only 32 pin jester.gif

#7 smoker007

smoker007

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:32 PM

I believe you misread my post, its the onboard bios that is 40 pins. The homebrew mod is only 32, 29 of which have to be soldered to the xbox's mother board. Now back to the topic at hand, can anyone give me some insite as to what is going on here?

#8 Potenza

Potenza

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:CARS Racing, Computers and my children
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (smoker007 @ Nov 7 2002, 07:04 AM)
No, there is no fan on the small nvidia chip, however there is a small fan mounted next to the processor. I don't get the hint.

he was trying to tell you you might have a v2 xbox.

Wich you don't as you have a fan on the GPU.

The small Nvidia chip is not the GPU, but the sound chip if I am not mistaken.

V2 need different bios to work.

#9 smoker007

smoker007

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 04:45 PM

which bios image is required by the new v2 xbox's? I have them all, and have pretty much tried them all

#10 0rbital

0rbital

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 05:26 PM

there are no BIOS files (released anyways) that work with the post-August Xboxes. The X-ecuter 2 chips are the only working mod chips for the new boxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users