• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:29 AM

New dedicated section for questions about how to get sound in, sound out, video in, video out!

Here are a bunch of "starter" links.

Adding coaxial digital AND Toslink (fiber optic) outputs to Xbox
Zip File Download

Adding a digital output to your Xbox
http://www.xbox-scen...ital-output.php

Xbox VGA-cable tutorial - play Xbox on a computer monitor.
http://www.xbox-scen...s/vga-cable.php

Guide to Modding your XBOX for advanced A/V
http://www.xbox-scen...advanced-av.php

Adding SPDIF Audio Output to the Xbox
http://wrongcrowd.com/xboxspdif/

Comlete Guide to Cables (thanks sparkac)
http://forums.xbox-s...t...60&t=116389

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Can I make a DVI cable for my xbox?
A: No. The xbox's video encoder chip does not give the correct outputs needed for the DVI standard. However you can make a VGA cable and buy a VGA to DVI adaptor. There are NO benefits of this whatsoever, apart from being able to plug into a DVI port. All the adaptor does is pass through analog VGA signals to a DVI connector. The DVI standard is designed to be used with digital signals. (Adaptor can be found here)

Q: How do I know if my monitor supports sync on green (SOG)?
A: Check the manual, contact the manufacturer, but firstly check if your monitor is listed here

Q: My monitor supports sync on green, what do I do next?
A: Build the VGA cable as described in my guide, without the sync seperator circuit.

Q: I do not have a sync on green monitor, what can I do?
A: There are a few options. Either build your VGA cable with a sync-seperator circuit which will seperate the H & V sync signals required from green (see my guide) or you can buy an aftermarket VGA adapter such as the X2VGA by Neoya.

Q: Is the redant/other cheap VGA adapter any good? / What is the difference between X2VGA and these cheap VGA adapters?
A: The redant and other cheap VGA adapters use composite or s-video input. They are nasty line-doublers, will leave a blurry, washed out, poor quality image on your monitor and you will feel ripped off. The X2VGA converts TRUE HDTV signals into TRUE VGA output, thus giving the best possible picture. The X2VGA also supports high-resolution output (480p, 720p, 1080i) Cheap adapters DO NOT!

Q: Can i display my xbox on 2 different TV's using S-video and RGB Scart?
A: No. You can display using both modes, but not simultaneously. Either use composite scart connections (see my guide for scart pinouts), put 2 composite/svideo connections on your A/V cable, or switch between the 2 modes.

Q: What A/V output types are available, and can i put them all in one cable / breakout box?
A: You can put EVERY type of output in one cable / breakout box, however you will need to switch between the modes (see my guide for more info). The output types are as follows:
Video outputs:
RGB Scart
HDTV
S-Video
Composite (& Composite scart)
VGA
RF
Audio outputs:
SPDIF (Toslink / Coaxial digital)
Phono audio
RF (mono audio)
Scart (can use digital or phono audio)

Q: Do I HAVE to have a HDTV / Advanced AV pack to make a VGA cable?
A: No. All you need is the AVIP connector from ANY Xbox AV cable. The main reason I would choose an Advanced A/V or HDTV pack is because it has a small box a few inches from the AVIP connector end which can be used to house new connections such as a female VGA connector easily.

Q: I've built a VGA cable and I get a picture on my monitor but everything is green! What is wrong?
A: You need to use the TATX_DEBUG_VGA or PiXEL8_DEBUG_VGA bios to correct the colours. If you are already using one of these, try launching applications / games from Xbox Media Center or Player.

Q: What Versions of Xbox will work with a VGA cable?
A: So far, there are only BIOS's for v1.0 and v1.1 xbox'es. If you have a 1.2+ you can try the TATX bios at your own risk, or buy a VGA adapter such as the X2VGA.

Q: Is it not easier to capture the H/V sync signals between the GPU and the Video encoder?
A: Not reallly. The LM1881 Circuit works fine, and is very easy to make. However it IS possible to capture H/V sync signals here, but it is beyond the scope of this FAQ.

L33's tutorial: http://www.freedomfo.....0AV Cable.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you L33 for letting me copy a HUGE post of yours onto this FAQ beerchug.gif

This thread will eventually turn into a nice big FAQ, please post all Q&A type questions here, and I will add them to the main post. Also, post any links to good tutorials that I might of missed!

Thanks smile.gif

Edited by xboxgamer733, 06 April 2007 - 06:20 AM.

#2 Lukenatme

Lukenatme

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:08 AM

jester.gif

I am a lamer post...please send me to the garbage bin. tongue.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

#3 lindsey

lindsey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:10 AM

What is the advantage of ether one of these modifications, adding a digital output to your Xbox (v0.1) or Guide to Modding your XBOX for advanced A/V (v0.1) besides price, when for 20.00 bucks you can simply install a Xbox advanced AV pack part # X08-47698-01. I am not trying to be a wise guy I am just trying to answer an audio problem I am having.

#4 tosi

tosi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 10:01 PM

Is it possible to setup the High definition without the MS Dashboard? and if so where?

when setting up the the video on the ms dashboard, and setting the option for high definition, does it keep the option and lower the quality when the game doesn't need it and revert back when it does? or do you have to turn it on everytime

#5 bigballsou

bigballsou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:20 PM

I am having problems with the dvd's I backedup on my modded xbox, I can watch small segments of the movie but there is no sound is there a programs that puts it all together to watch?

#6 go-to

go-to

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (lindsey @ Nov 5 2003, 06:10 AM)
What is the advantage of ether one of these modifications, adding a digital output to your Xbox (v0.1) or Guide to Modding your XBOX for advanced A/V (v0.1) besides price, when for 20.00 bucks you can simply install a Xbox advanced AV pack part # X08-47698-01. I am not trying to be a wise guy I am just trying to answer an audio problem I am having.

The zip file that is available for download is actually my tutorial. I made that up when I first bought my XBOX. I couldn't justify spending the money on DTS when I could accomplish it for free on my work-bench.

The advantage is actually having the capability of multi-channel surround sound without spending money on an A/V pack.

And as far as I know...you can only enable the surround mode in the OE XBOX dashboard. Would be nice to access that through EvoX though.

#7 Stusy

Stusy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:35 AM

Can any body help to source the Toslink Optical transmitter TOTX173 or TOTX176 or TOTX178a in the UK. Found one website that does them for 6 each, but keep emailing them and they have never got back to me.

Done the coaxial out and it works a treat

#8 mark876543

mark876543

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:34 PM

Can someone "in-the-know" explain how you can watch a movie from the xbox hard drive. I tried putting the vob files there after dvd-decryptor and xbox media player will play vob files but this is a sucky way because of being a bunch of individual files plut it squeezed the video that was supposed to be widescreen into 4:3 so everything looks squashed. Maybe this isn't possible or practical but I'm probably just not doing it right.

#9 mark876543

mark876543

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 09:45 PM

Is there an xbox application or method that allows using the dongle & remote for dvd-playing? Just wondering. The player using the controller is ok, but lookign to get some use out of my remote. Have an unlockable maxtor drive so can't run with chip off.

#10 fezzman

fezzman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:31 PM

Is there an xbox application or method that allows using the dongle & remote for dvd-playing? Just wondering. The player using the controller is ok, but lookign to get some use out of my remote. Have an unlockable maxtor drive so can't run with chip off.

Your hdd doesn't need to be locked to use the remote. Just launch the M$ dash from whatever dash you are currently using.

#11 esdubu

esdubu

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 January 2004 - 02:50 PM

If you are using evox as your dash, you can edit the .ini file to point to your xboxdash.xbe for the dvd player. If you use the region free patcher as well, you have the functionality of the xbox dvd player with the added bonus of any region dvd. This is what i've done and it works perfectly.

#12 SpankMan

SpankMan

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 06:54 PM

Just added an coax digital output to my xbox which works fine. Problem is that the optical output on my cable no longer works. Not possible to have both at the same time?

#13 gskairo

gskairo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:38 AM

Im a total newbie to Xbox and have a few Questions i hope you guys can help me with smile.gif

1. Do I need an ADvanced AV cabel to get surround? Issent it possible to get it usung the original xbox cable. I have connected all 3 jacks on the original cable to my surround reciver and send ti to my TV using the recivers S-Vhs out. Does this not result in Surround??

2. is a RCA socket all i need to install to get surround if the above (1) is incorrect?

3. Does the Xbox support DTS, if i install a toslink cable will i be able to get DTS from the DVD player on the Xbox (my revicer supports DTS)

hope you can help me

Cheers
Gskairo

#14 gskairo

gskairo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

Anyone???

#15 Degeczi

Degeczi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (gskairo @ Mar 15 2004, 12:38 PM)
1. Do I need an ADvanced AV cabel to get surround? Issent it possible to get it usung the original xbox cable. I have connected all 3 jacks on the original cable to my surround reciver and send ti to my TV using the recivers S-Vhs out. Does this not result in Surround??

3. Does the Xbox support DTS, if i install a toslink cable will i be able to get DTS from the DVD player on the Xbox (my revicer supports DTS)

1. Yes - if the amp can decode Dolby Prologic from the analogue, stereo input (you have to set the amp to DPL mode). But I don' really get how can you use "S-Vhs" (BTW, that is "S-Video" correctly) connection with the original Xbox cable: that only has one composite video connector...

3. Yes, but for that you need something better than the original cable. Not necessary the MS, for example this is much less and already has RGB-on-scart, S-Video connections and an optical cable is also included

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users