10 replies to this topic

#1 Rob37alb

Rob37alb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:53 PM

Anyone have any info how to get playback for DVD at the higher rez's of 720p and/or 1080i? I've seen this done on a high end DVD player and am wondering if it can be done with this little gem we call XBox.
I know the settings are there for use with the games, can we apply them to DVD movies as well?

FYI - I'm running an X1 projector onto a 80"x60" screen via a VGA port with a component to VGA converter, I don't care what your girlfriend says, bigger is better, but there is something to be said for quality. laugh.gif

Thanks!!
Cheers
Rob

#2 MorfiusX

MorfiusX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Rob37alb @ Oct 21 2003, 01:53 PM)
Anyone have any info how to get playback for DVD at the higher rez's of 720p and/or 1080i? I've seen this done on a high end DVD player and am wondering if it can be done with this little gem we call XBox.
I know the settings are there for use with the games, can we apply them to DVD movies as well?

FYI - I'm running an X1 projector onto a 80"x60" screen via a VGA port with a component to VGA converter, I don't care what your girlfriend says, bigger is better, but there is something to be said for quality. laugh.gif

Thanks!!
Cheers
Rob

Try DVDx and patch it with the High-Def XBE patch. It might work. I think if you enable 720p in the MS dash then if you are using the dongle it will play at 720p.

#3 Rob37alb

Rob37alb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:21 PM

I'm actually still setting it up (Xmas present from the wife and she says I can't play till then, but I can accessorise!). I'm just wondering if anyone has done this or knows of a source for any info. I want to have the mods and programming all done before I hook it all up
Thanks again for any info
Cheers!
Rob

#4 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:29 PM

If you are running an X1 DLP projector from InFocus, or any of the clones, you only have 800x600 on the panel. You cannot improve on that period. If you run PAL you will have 576 lines and NTSC 480. Hit it with 720p and it will scale DOWN the image to fit the panel.

#5 Rob37alb

Rob37alb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:38 PM

Yes it is the Infocus, and I see your point. However, even the downscaled 720p signal I've seen in the past on this pj was better than the 480p, not a huge difference but better none the less. Being able to do this will allow me to upgrade my pj to one that will use 1080i 0r 720p to its fullest and save money on the DVD player especially if it's only a matter of changing software.

#6 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:22 PM

If you can change your projector and want DLP which is best for films but not graphics, go for something with the HD2 Mustang chipset. Once you reach the 1280x720p pj you are laughing. If you can afford CRT the world is your oyster. Try to stay away from down converting if you can. The best ways are always external.

#7 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:25 PM

Just know that DVDs are recorded at the 480 resolution, so upconverting to 720 or 1080 isn't going to improve the picture much, because the data simply isn't there. Now 480p vs 480i should be a visible improvement.

#8 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:49 PM

In a static image a 480p and a 480i image will be identical except a minor increase in brightness. As soon as something moves progressive is way ahead if interlaced. Interlaced video was invented at the begining simply to allow a reduced transmission bandwidth as they TV transmission equipment of the day could only send one field first then the next. Sending the frame (2 fields) doubles the bandwidth requirements.

In fact 1080i static will be better than 720p static but moving images will be better with 720p.

#9 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:41 PM

Yep, that's what I meant by "visible improvement" biggrin.gif

#10 spillage

spillage

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:52 AM

Yeah I know you did, I was just suffering from 'I want to write some more' . I am ok now.

#11 Rob37alb

Rob37alb

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 03:10 PM

Thanks guys, kinda burst my bubble but it answers my question.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users