• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GTP43

GTP43

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:58 AM

Hi, recently I upgraded from a 80gb western digital to a 120gb western digital. Ever since I've been experiencing random lock ups of games on my hard drive. I play a game for like 10 minutes and the game just freezes. The temperature when I boot up is like 120F but gets to like 140 after I play a game for a few minutes. None of this happened with the 80gb hard drive. Any suggestions on what it might be?

#2 surge

surge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:22 PM

I am no expert, but I have read that sometimes if you have a 7200rpm harddrive you can overheat the xbox and it can freeze. Was your 80 a 5400 and your new one a 7200? If so I have read how people are putting fans on their xbox's to cool it off. THis happened to one of my friends. He bought one of the external fans off ebay for $14 + shipping and it works great. This is just a thought.

#3 PuddWakkr

PuddWakkr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:29 PM

Something you might want to try is to install Avalaunch as a dashboard. You can set the fan speed to super high and keep your xbox cool. If the temp stays low and your box is still locking up you'll know it's not a heat issue. This won't cost any money to do, it's quick , and it'll let you know right away if it's a heat issue. Hope this helps.

#4 cisco7200

cisco7200

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2003 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (PuddWakkr @ Oct 22 2003, 11:29 AM)
Something you might want to try is to install Avalaunch as a dashboard. You can set the fan speed to super high and keep your xbox cool. If the temp stays low and your box is still locking up you'll know it's not a heat issue. This won't cost any money to do, it's quick , and it'll let you know right away if it's a heat issue. Hope this helps.

He could do the same thing bye opening up his Xbox and taking it apart and running it for a little while with it apart. Then put his hand above the CPU and see if the CPU is to hot to touch.

#5 andyd

andyd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (surge @ Oct 22 2003, 04:22 PM)
I am no expert, but I have read that sometimes if you have a 7200rpm harddrive you can overheat the xbox and it can freeze. Was your 80 a 5400 and your new one a 7200? If so I have read how people are putting fans on their xbox's to cool it off. THis happened to one of my friends. He bought one of the external fans off ebay for $14 + shipping and it works great. This is just a thought.

I'm using a Maxtor 7200 120 gig SE and I'm not having the same issues. After playing for about 4-5 hrs of Knights of the Old Repulic, the temps were still below 120. Are you sure the fan in the Xbox is working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users