X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:15 AM

Hi,

I'm wonder what the best emu's for N64, Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy and GBA?

I currently have DGEN for the Megadrive, Snes9x for the SNES and UltraHLE port for the N64, Are there better ones?

Also are there any decent PS1 emulators around?

I'm only looking for names, I'll find the files myself.

Thanks

#2 mr jones

mr jones

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:26 PM

Amiga 500 - uaex
Only Amiga emulator available on the Xbox.

Arcade - MAMEoX
This is where you'll see alot of disagreement.  While I agree for the most part with the ease of use of Mame-X compared to Mameox, Mameox uses the more recent build of the MAME code, supports more arcade software, and is generally more stable.  Shadowland had also pointed out that some sidescrolling raster-based games seem to run smoother on mame-x, but I couldn't see it.  MameoX also has better support of Midway games like Smash TV and Mortal Kombat 2, and plays vector-based games like Tempest more accurately.

Atari 2600 - Z26
Better compatibility than Stella, and soon to be updated with Xports
recent menu.

Atari ST - WinSTon
Currently the only Atari ST emulator on Xbox, and likely to be updated with Xports recent menu.

Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance - XboyAdvance
Great GBA emulator that also emulates GBC games.  Plays games fullscreen, and has good speed, outside the graphically intensive games like Tony Hawk, and Ecks vs. Sever.   GBC games are flawless.  Quite recommended.

Genesis/Sega CD - either Xenesis or NeoGenesis
Both of these are excellent.  NeoGenesis uses Xport's rediculously configurable menu, and has great compatibility.  Xenesis also runs most Genesis and Sega CD games wonderfully, and some people view Carcharius' menu as being easier to use than Xports.

Master System - SMSplus
Wonderful menu, exceptional compatibility.  It doesn't emulate the FM sound found in japanese Master Systems, but other than that, this is great stuff.

Neo Geo - Kawa-X
Absolutely the best Neo Geo emu on Xbox.  With the capability of playing the majority of Neo games almost flawlessly, AND being able to play Capcom's CPS 1 and CPS 2 arcade software, this is an essential emulator for your Xbox.

Nintendo Entertainment System FCE Ultra
Using a lovely Super Mario Bros 2 theme for the menu, this is one of the best NES emulators out there, for either PC or console.  It has much better compatibility than Nester, and supports MANY features like savestates, and screenshots.  Other than a lack of lightgun support, this is as close as you're going to get without getting the original console.

Nintendo 64 - Surreal 64
Surreal 64 combines UltraHLE, Project 64 and 1964 into one emulator. It is currently the best solution to Nintendo 64 emulation on the xbox.

Playstation - PCSXbox
The only Playstation emulator available on Xbox.

Super Nintendo - xSNES9x
One of the original emus on the system, and still one of the best.  With a high level of compatibility, gorgeous GUI, and pending update, Its the SNES emu of choice.  Just don't play it on a progressive scan TV...

Turbografx-16/CD - Hugo
Also recently updated sporting a new interface, this is really the only TG-16 emu on the Xbox, not including the earlier versions ported by the same coder.  While the original emu that this is ported from doesn't have the best of compatibility, it has excellent speed, and plays both "iso'ed", and original Turbo CDs fairly well.

I'd also like to mention that Final Burn is also a wonderful CPS 1/CPS 2 emulator, that plays some great shooters that neither Mameox nor Kawa-X emulates, such as Guwange, and Esp Ra De.  Definitely worth checking out.

originally written by an unhelpful cunt. smile.gif

Edited by Iriez, 09 January 2004 - 03:48 PM.

#3 Iriez

Iriez

XBINS TOTALITARIAN

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 October 2003 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (mr jones @ Oct 22 2003, 09:26 AM)
Amiga 500 - uaex

Arcade - MAMEoX
This is where you'll see alot of disagreement.  While I agree for the most part with the ease of use of Mame-X compared to Mameox, Mameox uses the more recent build of the MAME code, supports more arcade software, and is generally more stable.  Shadowland had also pointed out that some sidescrolling raster-based games seem to run smoother on mame-x, but I couldn't see it.  MameoX also has better support of Midway games like Smash TV and Mortal Kombat 2, and plays vector-based games like Tempest more accurately.

Atari 2600 - Z26
recent menu.

Atari ST - WinSTon
Currently the only Atari ST emulator on Xbox, and likely to be updated with Xports recent menu.

Great GBA emulator that also emulates GBC games.  Plays games fullscreen, and has good speed, outside the graphically intensive games like Tony Hawk, and Ecks vs. Sever.   GBC games are flawless.  Quite recommended.

Both of these are excellent.  NeoGenesis uses Xport's rediculously configurable menu, and has great compatibility.  Xenesis also runs most Genesis and Sega CD games wonderfully, and some people view Carcharius' menu as being easier to use than Xports.

Master System - SMSplus
Wonderful menu, exceptional compatibility.  It doesn't emulate the FM sound found in japanese Master Systems, but other than that, this is great stuff.

Neo Geo - Kawa-X
Absolutely the best Neo Geo emu on Xbox.  With the capability of playing the majority of Neo games almost flawlessly, AND being able to play Capcom's CPS 1 and CPS 2 arcade software, this is an essential emulator for your Xbox.

Using a lovely Super Mario Bros 2 theme for the menu, this is one of the best NES emulators out there, for either PC or console.  It has much better compatibility than Nester, and supports MANY features like savestates, and screenshots.  Other than a lack of lightgun support, this is as close as you're going to get without getting the original console.

Nintendo 64 UltraXLE
The main reason why I'll agree with this being the better N64 emulator (right now), is that for the few games that it emulates (Mario 64, Mario Kart, Wave Race), it emulates them well. PJ64 emulates a far larger amount of games, but most are too glitchy for my liking.  This will probably change when the emulators are updated.

Playstation - PCSXbox

Super Nintendo - xSNES9x
One of the original emus on the system, and still one of the best.  With a high level of compatibility, gorgeous GUI, and pending update, Its the SNES emu of choice.  Just don't play it on a progressive scan TV...

Turbografx-16/CD - Hugo
Also recently updated sporting a new interface, this is really the only TG-16 emu on the Xbox, not including the earlier versions ported by the same coder.  While the original emu that this is ported from doesn't have the best of compatibility, it has excellent speed, and plays both "iso'ed", and original Turbo CDs fairly well.

I'd also like to mention that Final Burn is also a wonderful CPS 1/CPS 2 emulator, that plays some great shooters that neither Mameox nor Kawa-X emulates, such as Guwange, and Esp Ra De.  Definitely worth checking out.

I'll help list some others.

AdamX - A Adam/Collecovision emulator.

BlissX - The best and only fully functional intellivision emulator.

DaphneX - The best and only Arcade Laser Disc emulation.

DoSXbox - A 286/386 emulator for the xbox. Based on DosBox.

FMSXBox - A MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ emulator

KegsX - a Apple IIgs/e/c/+ emulator.

NeoPopX - Neo Geo Pocket emulator

PJ64-X - While it has a much larger compatibility list, it plays only a average of 20% of N64 games really good. (UltraXLE probably plays about 2% of N64 games, but emulates near perfect.) Surreal 64 has been released now, and it combines PJ64-X, UltraXLE, and adds 1964 to it aswell, becoming the superior Nintendo 64 emulator.

SarienX - A Sierra AGI interpreter engine that will play many of the old Sierra adventure games including Leisure Suit Larry 1, Kings Quest 1, 2 and 3 and others.

SC3x - A Sega SC-1000/3000 emulator

ScummVMx - A emulator for several classic point-and-click adventure games such as Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Full Throttle and Beneath a Steel Sky.

U64-X - A Killer instinct 1 and 2 emulator

Vice20X - A Vice20X is a Commodore VIC-20 emulator.

Vice64X - A Commodore 64 emulator. (Lets not forget all the hardwork done on Frodo-x by DragonZ)

VicePETX - VicePETX is a Commodore PET emulator.

WonderSwanX - A wonderswan emulator.

hrm...it think thats all of them.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE IS NO GAMECUBE, PS2, 3DO OR DREAMCAST EMULATORS FOR THE XBOX, NOR WILL THERE BE.

Edited by Iriez, 09 January 2004 - 03:53 PM.

#4 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:43 PM

Just as a side-note - the original listing in this thread by MrJones is somewhat outdated. SMSPlusX *does* have FM support. FCEUltraX *does* have lightgun support. All of my projects have been updated with the new UI.

(Also, HUGO-X isn't the only PCE emulator for the XBox, but IMHO it's the better choice. There are maybe one or two games that play on XPCE that do not play on HUGOX, but there are many, many more that play in HUGOX and not XPCE. )

#5 Iriez

Iriez

XBINS TOTALITARIAN

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:45 PM

This thread no longer supports any commentary irrelevant to the topic. I will be sure to monitor and clean this thread up if it gets trash.

Please no "SO WAT IS TEH BEST ONE?" questions, or "does it have so and so feature?" If its by xport, its most likely to have all the features/UI he puts in his other works.

If you want to find out the features of a emu, download it and see. Or use the SEARCH feature.

This thread is to stay open for relevant material. Please submit corrections if any of the above is incorrect.

Edited by Iriez, 02 March 2004 - 04:03 AM.

#6 mamajo

mamajo

'Forza Azzurri'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 October 2003 - 09:35 PM

AtariXLBox - Emulates Atari 800/5200/130/320/XL/XE. Comes with the full feature set as all the other XPort releases!

Handyx- Atari Lynx emulator (I never tried it myself, but it's the only one I think)

Here's a few more for the list that I think were missed.

Edited by mamajo, 23 October 2003 - 09:37 PM.

#7 Japhei

Japhei

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (mr jones @ Oct 22 2003, 04:26 PM)
Amiga 500 - uaex

Arcade - MAMEoX

Atari 2600 - Z26
recent menu.

Atari ST - WinSTon

Master System - SMSplus

Neo Geo - Kawa-X

Nintendo 64 UltraXLE
The main reason why I'll agree with this being the better N64 emulator (right now), is that for the few games that it emulates (Mario 64, Mario Kart, Wave Race), it emulates them well. PJ64 emulates a far larger amount of games, but most are too glitchy for my liking.  This will probably change when the emulators are updated.

Playstation - PCSXbox

Super Nintendo - xSNES9x

Turbografx-16/CD - Hugo

Nice I have Esprade on PCB but am missing Guwange to complete my Cave Jamma Shmup collection sad.gif

Has anyone tried to emulate PGM yet?

There are some great games like Dodonpachi 2 and 3 as well as Ketsui and Demon Front

Someone Should really get up on that!!!

Edited by Japhei, 12 November 2003 - 08:23 PM.

#8 mr jones

mr jones

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 08:50 PM

As of right now, there isn't any emulation for Polygame Master System hardware. It would be really cool if they ported those games (especially Demon Front) to some of the home systems. Hell, it would be nice if they even brought those games TO THE UK OR UNITED STATES ARCADES. At least then there could be the possibility of exposure, so a fanbase that doesn't speak japanese could be built.

Who knows, maybe in a couple years there will be PGM drivers available for MAME or Final Burn. Then we might see it on the Xbox. But until then, you're just gonna hafta import the hardware and game. Sucks too, because Demon Front is a fun (hard) game. Its not Metal Slug 3, but it IS fun.

#9 Japhei

Japhei

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (mr jones @ Nov 12 2003, 10:50 PM)
As of right now, there isn't any emulation for Polygame Master System hardware. It would be really cool if they ported those games (especially Demon Front) to some of the home systems. Hell, it would be nice if they even brought those games TO THE UK OR UNITED STATES ARCADES. At least then there could be the possibility of exposure, so a fanbase that doesn't speak japanese could be built.

Who knows, maybe in a couple years there will be PGM drivers available for MAME or Final Burn. Then we might see it on the Xbox. But until then, you're just gonna hafta import the hardware and game. Sucks too, because Demon Front is a fun (hard) game. Its not Metal Slug 3, but it IS fun.

Mr. Jones I own the Following PGM games already smile.gif

On PGM cart

Knights Of Valour
Demon Front
Dodonpachi 2
The Gladiator

On IGS hardware

Dodonpachi 3 dai Ou jou English Master Version
Ketsui Master Version

Currently I would say my home collection rivals any japanese arcade and puts to shame anyone who would dare Challenge me

My newest Additions are Pro Gear No Arashi cps2,Border Down Naomi,And SHikigami No Shiro 2 Naomi.

Next week is metal slug 5 and psyviar 2 Naomi as well as Knights of Valour Atomiswave and Espgaluda IGS hardware Jamma PCB

You should check out some of my collection pics

Do you have AIM

My message handle is Ikarugaradiant

Peace out
!!!!!!!!!!

#10 mr jones

mr jones

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:50 PM

Well, I won't go too far into game collections n' stuff - this is more about emulation, than the actual arcade (and console) hardware.

Plus, when it comes to your personal collection, that's a shame that ya don't live in Minnesota. I'd love to play some of those titles, and when the Neo gathering takes place in December, you'd definitely have some goods to bring to the table.

However, remember that there's always someone who will have a bigger collection than you. As much as you brag about your collection, you didn't mention anything about owning a linked Daytona USA deluxe sitdown cab, or a Dance Dance Revolution cab, or a G-Loc cab. Do you have an Area 51 standup with the lightguns? A 2-screen 4-slot Neo mini sitdown unit? How about that Namco Downhill Bike game? I know folks who just have the money to spend $1000+ on one game. Thats rediculous to me, and is the reason why I don't have an arcade "collection" anymore. If I every want to play one of those cool import arcade games, well.... that's what rich friends are for. smile.gif

#11 Myst2

Myst2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 07:04 PM

SORRY IF THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION.

These are the best emulators for xbox im assuming?(not of xbox, ON xbox)

#12 NerdENerd

NerdENerd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (Myst2 @ Nov 20 2003, 09:04 PM)
SORRY IF THIS IS A STUPID QUESTION.

These are the best emulators for xbox im assuming?(not of xbox, ON xbox)

Yes it is a stupid question!

#13 gsgleason

gsgleason

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 21 November 2003 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (XPort @ Oct 22 2003, 02:43 PM)
FCEUltraX *does* have lightgun support.

I cannot get my lightgun to work. The crosshair shows up, but the trigger does nothing. Which light gun brands actually work?

#14 Myst2

Myst2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:30 PM

Well you could at least answered the damn question nerdenerd

#15 Iriez

Iriez

XBINS TOTALITARIAN

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:22 PM

You got some serious issues if you need that answered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users