12 replies to this topic

#1 chrjs

chrjs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:21 AM

Hi,

i ordered a samsung original xbox drive from ebay... 'cause all people say thats the best drive to read cdrs, dvd-r etc...
thats a joke right? it plays no cdr's, no dvd+r!!!
whats the prob, i got a us v1.0 xbox with alladin advance!!!
Is there a problem with the motherboard or so?
or the media? is there a list with working cdrs media with samsung?

thanks
chris

PS: before i got a phillips drive--> there is no difference between these two drives in playing!!! that cannot be!

#2 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:38 PM

Well none of them play all media but the sammy is the most accepting of different types. Just read in the pinned topic on a brand and format that work and buy that.

#3 KaBoKiE

KaBoKiE

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 October 2003 - 01:17 PM

I have a simular question. I recently had my x-box modified to play DVD burnt games. Some play and some don't. The person who modified it told me the phillips is natorious for a low powered laser. He recommended I switch to a samsung. He said he has one and it hasn't failed him yet. The 60 bucks isn't really the problem. I just want to make sure it's legit before I switch over. The phillips plays a bunch of the games, just won't play any sports games.
jester.gif

#4 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 October 2003 - 01:48 PM

what, and playing DVDR games is legit?,

get stuffed Mr pirate mad.gif

#5 anekin007

anekin007

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:54 PM

my samsung reads cdr fine. so far, it read every type of cdr media i threw in it. but i heard most dvd+r doesnt work, a couple of dvd+r works on mines. you can trade it someone on the board for the mod samsung 616t. it reads everything.

Edited by anekin007, 22 October 2003 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Gristy

Gristy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:56 PM

my sammy reads overprint CD-R and its a known fact that they dont read +R

#7 RobwDav

RobwDav

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 08:10 PM

My stock samsung, reads everything I throw at it.....I've tried the worst crap I can find, simply to test....still works.

I gotta question though...........

"Blew, why are you here............please tell me all you do is HW mods ............all I ever see you do is spit babble about pirating. While it's clear that some peeps here are doing jus that ............some aren't; and I think I speak for many of us when I say: STFU. Dude if you wanna bitch about ish like a lil gurl; move to xbox.com or perhaps M$ has a nice forum for you"

My God you are annoying.

#8 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 October 2003 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (chrjs @ Oct 22 2003, 12:21 PM)
Hi,

i ordered a samsung original xbox drive from ebay... 'cause all people say thats the best drive to read cdrs, dvd-r etc...
thats a joke right? it plays no cdr's, no dvd+r!!!
whats the prob, i got a us v1.0 xbox with alladin advance!!!
Is there a problem with the motherboard or so?
or the media? is there a list with working cdrs media with samsung?

thanks
chris

PS: before i got a phillips drive--> there is no difference between these two drives in playing!!! that cannot be!

Sounds like someone's sold you a duff drive. Samsungs usually play pretty much anything you throw at them.

#9 Sentinel54

Sentinel54

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 09:05 PM

My friend bought a brand new version 3 box with a Sammy. The thing wouldn't play TDK or Verbatim DVD-Rs, or KHypermedia. Finally bought some cheap Fufifilms and it works. I was really starting to worry. I have to say I'm not impressed though.

#10 dewmonger

dewmonger

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:39 PM

I upgraded to a Sammy and I'm quite pleased with it. The modded PC Samsung is better than the original stock Samsung. As far as asking whether Samsung is the best drive, I have to answer by saying yes. Now it is true that some Samsungs have problems reading some types of media or certain brands, it will most likely not read every single brand and type there is out there. However, you would be hard pressed to convince anyone who owns a Thomson or Phillips that their drive is better than a Samsung. Most would be willing to trade you theirs for yours anyday. Samsungs may or may not be 100% perfect, but they are still better than the alternatives.

#11 {{909}}

{{909}}

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:06 AM

i have swapped my thomson for a sammy, and while it is very fast and accepts most brands of dvdr, it isnt as great as everyone makes out, its key advantage is it reads cheap dvdr really well, better than it reads good branded dvdr like ritek, since i had all my games on riteks for the thompson i am not really any better off!
i cant really see the point in cdr reading either, if somethins small enough to be on a cd, u mite as well just ftp it to the HD. even if u have a stock drive theres plenty of room

#12 13Black

13Black

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:34 AM

I got a stock Sammy with my box, but my fiends has a philips.

All i can say is, my somwhat 200+ divx/xvids play 100% fine on my sammy, which is one of the main reasons i got the xbox. Also, DVD-R Ritek, TDK, Verb, Maxdata, Princo and databanks have all worked fine for me. I havent had much luck with DVD+R, not a biggy as there still WAY to expensive in Oz to buy anyway. DVD-RW works a dream, tested a ritek, TDK and Melody. DVD+RW has also worked well, although that was only a TDK i tried.

My friends philips doesnt play any of my divx's even with the pot tweak. He can read most of the DVD-R's i uve used, but it isnt as compatable as the Sammy's, thats a proven fact.

As for yours not reading disc's right, all i can ask, is are you burning them right?? That seems to be a VERY common problem with not being able to read media.

#13 dewmonger

dewmonger

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:24 PM

I also wanted to add that my old Thomson drive had trouble reading originals after a while. Nevermind all the different types of blank media that you can burn on. The stock drive should be able to at least read originals. I would consider any stock drive that still works fine reading originals to be a "good" drive. It is wonderful that certain drives read more types of media than others, and I'm glad that I have a Sammy now, but I think a good starting point for being defined as a good drive is one that works, period.

A working (fill in the model) drive that can read only originals and nothing else is still better than a (fill in the model) drive that used to read many types of media but now does not work at all.

Edited by dewmonger, 24 October 2003 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users