10 replies to this topic

#1 MothXz

MothXz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 01:23 AM

I've completely ran out of space on my 120gb hard drive and now its time to add a second one. Question is how do I do that? I'd like to be able to have an external case and place the 2nd, 3rd, or however many hard drives possible and be able to switch back and forth bewteen hard drive 1, 2, 3, etc. I have seen the project 411gb (I think that's what its called) in the tutorials but am wondering if there's another method. Some time back I think it was Xecuter that was planning on releasing a case specifically for this purpose but have not heard anymore information on this issue. Any recommendations on a case that I could use would be great. Remember, I'd like it to be nice and sleek like the xbox because it will be on display on long with my 60' widescreen T.V. Thanks in advance.

#2 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 24 October 2003 - 06:57 AM

you could just pull out the dvd drive
use a bios that disables detection of the dvd drive (most of them do)
and shove a 120 gigger in there

i'd then use an external dvd case and toggle between one of the hard drives

or even not bother with a toggle and make it so you can just 'plug in' the dvd drive when needed, and the process of plugging in electronically removes the internal hdd

thats the way i'm going, I hardly ever play games on my xbox now, mostly play divx, and the games I do play i'm going to copy them to the second hard drive and save putting the disc in all the time, just select from a menu! (yep, got about 20 originals now :-), i wont bother with copies as you never really bother playing a copy that much to get your money's worth, if you pay 30 for a game, you're sure as hell going to play it thouroughly, if you pay 0, you wont bother!)

#3 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 October 2003 - 07:36 AM

Problem is, there are no BIOSes that support dual HDDs at the moment (besides Linux BIOSes). Even if you disable the DVD drive check and put a 2nd HDD in there, it won't be recognized.

#4 bigga

bigga

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:34 AM

Might as well get yourself a dvd burner instead

#5 MothXz

MothXz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:46 AM

So adding a second harddrive won't be recognized at all? How would the xbox know the difference between the 2 harddrives if one is turned off?

#6 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 24 October 2003 - 11:17 AM

i thought they all quite happily see and utilise a second hard drive

#7 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 October 2003 - 12:55 PM

You could always get an IDE switch box and just switch between the Hard Drives. Or you could just upgrade to a 200 or 250 GB drive (which would probably be the simplest resolution).

#8 da_frog

da_frog

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Chilling

Posted 24 October 2003 - 04:14 PM

we need a bios that just detects second hard drives as drive k or U or some other unused drive letter and just puts ALL of the space in ONE letter

#9 Krill123

Krill123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 05:03 PM

I bought an IDE cable that brings the HD outside of the xbox (with the power too) and just switch from one Hd to another when the box is closed. Works very well plus creates less heat in the xbox.

But yeah.. to have a bios that could read multiple HD's would be the ultimate solution...

#10 dewmonger

dewmonger

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 05:33 PM

I have my hard drive external in a portable hard drive rack. This way you can have a 2nd, 3rd, etc., hard drive and switch them out easily. I takes about 10 secs to physically switch them out and cost much less than a IDE switch. Plus it has its own cooling fan to keep the h.d. cooler and since the h.d. is no longer inside the xbox, the internals of the xbox is cooler as well. You can find the tutorial on how to make the h.d. external in the tutorials section.

#11 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 October 2003 - 06:30 PM

get an external enclosure for a hdd, the get a power splitter and run one end to your hdd inside and one to the other hdd, then get a long ide cable with 4 plugs on it or crimp one yourself/get one crimped, make sure the connectors are facing the right directions so that it folds nicely in the box, then look at the ide switch diagrams, you can cut the one wire of the ide cable and run it from the 2nd to the 4th and the 2nd to the 3rd and pt a switch there. when the switch is one way make the 2nd and 3rd connectors connected, and when switched the other way the 2nd and 4th will be connected. this way when 2 and 4 are connected the 3rd (first drive) will be skipped over and the external drive will be detected as your drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users