karishbhr

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:55 AM

I downloaded this program seeing if it could replace XBL for me when my subscription is up... but like noone was online! Top Spin had 2 players and Crimson Skies had 0!!! Did I do something wrong?

#2 dfunked

dfunked

XLink Crew Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 October 2003 - 03:58 AM

The need for a PC and to create port forwards is enough to put all those people who'd rather pay the $50 / year for XBox Live off XLink.

You're not doing anything wrong, but just that not many people use this service because they just don't I suppose.

XBLive has 500000 or so users. We have no way near that amount, but if you want to play system-link games for FREE, XLink is better than nothing.

If you'd rather just play Halo, go on over to www.xbconnect.com...

#3 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 October 2003 - 04:00 AM

I love XLINK - Keep up the good work. I was playing Crimson Skies earlier and it was awesome.

Thanks

LepPpeR

#4 SeQr

SeQr

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Guess what my interests are when I'm on a Xbox Forum.

Posted 25 October 2003 - 08:27 AM

Just a question, why is it needed to forward ports with Xlink? With XBC, and XBL it isn't. Or is it because of the voicechat stuff?

#5 dfunked

dfunked

XLink Crew Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:06 AM

8602 is the XBC port forward, so XBC does actually require the port forwarding.

It also requires 2 port forwards, one on UDP, one on TCP.

We require 34518 and 34519 both on UDP.

XBox Live doesn't need port forwards because the ports it runs on are registered for use with XBox Live and most routers / ISPs will accept the port without any interference.

From xbox.com

Is it really necessary for the three ports mentioned in Troubleshooting (UDP 88, UDP 3074, and TCP 3074) to be opened for Xbox Live to work properly?

Most cable/DSL routers implement Network Address Translation (NAT), as does Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). For NAT devices, no port forwarding is required for Xbox Live to work. Port forwarding is required only if you are running a proxy server or true firewall instead of or in addition to a NAT.

Also, the VoiceStream port works for most people without any configuration of their router, but if it doesn't then the additional port forward is required.

#6 dfunked

dfunked

XLink Crew Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 11:08 AM

Oh and I'm not entirely sure about this, but XBC will let you log in even if you haven't set up the port forwards correctly.

XLink won't let you join until you've got the port forwards all set up correctly.

If you try joining a game / hosting a game on XBC without opening those ports, you won't be able to join / host properly (I think anyway?)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users