3 replies to this topic

#1 onlygirlwithxbox

onlygirlwithxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

I am thinking about upgrading my hard drive to a bigger one 80 gigs or higher but I'm not sure what brand or model is the best. I read all of the faqs/tutorials on xbox hard drive but there is no mention of which hard drive is best.

Aside from buying a hard drive that can be locked which is a must, does it matter if it is a 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks huh.gif

#2 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:08 PM

There is no best - HDs change all the time and manufacturers' reliability tends to go up and down. If you watch long enough everyone hates every company at one time or another. Right now Samsung offers the last of the long warranties. IBM stopped producing their own. Some said the quality on WD had dropped in the past year. You can go to Newegg.com and read the customer reviews if you want. If people are posting hate messages about loosing 100's of gigs stay away.

7200 will offer faster seek times than a 5400 but that's it. The xbox is limited in data transfer anyway so it won't make a huge difference. Heat wise they are slightly hotter but no one has reported overheating to my knowledge. Likewise 8mb cache would be preferable to 2mb but the xbox is the weak link in all of this anyway - so you won't see the typical performance increases that one sees with better drives on a PC. Factor that into paying up for these options.

Another important aspect to me is noise - my xbox is in the living room and I want it as quiet as possible. My Samsung 120gb 5400RPM is very quiet - I didn't appreciate this until I installed my friend's Seagat - yow. I just installed a Maxtor fluid bearing drive in my PC - I imagine it seems like it is quiet also but my computer is fairly loud so tought to tell.

Hope that sheds some light on things without making it too confusing.

#3 Hoppy

Hoppy

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 October 2003 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (onlygirlwithxbox @ Oct 25 2003, 05:21 PM)
I am thinking about upgrading my hard drive to a bigger one 80 gigs or higher but I'm not sure what brand or model is the best. I read all of the faqs/tutorials on xbox hard drive but there is no mention of which hard drive is best.

Aside from buying a hard drive that can be locked which is a must, does it matter if it is a 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks huh.gif

I don't know much about which HDD to choose, but I do know that I just ripped a nasty fart. biggrin.gif

I personally wouldn't waste the extra money on a 7200. I guess most (if not all) Maxtor brand HDD's can be locked. I'd assume Seagate might be another option since you'll find 'em stock in some Xbox's. Personally, I'd say the biggest thing is don't waste money on a 7200. The extra speed won't really do much for you if you're putting it in your Xbox.

#4 onlygirlwithxbox

onlygirlwithxbox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 02:35 AM

Thanks Hoppy and Chris for the very informative help. I appreciate it. Guess I will be heading down to circuit city and buying a Maxtor 120 gig 5400 rpm drive wink.gif

Oh one last thing, I know that most new games need to be patched before it can be stored on the hard drive. Does this only apply to originals? The reason I ask this is because I have lots of dvdrs and they play fine now but do I have to have it patched if I want to transfer it to the hdd and run it from there or since they are already backups, I don't have to worry about patching?

I hope I'm not being too confusing. huh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users