Photo

Do You Think It Would Be Worth The Risk?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eventide

Eventide

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:15 AM

Ive got an xbox with a fried motherboard.

Ive also got a working modded xbox.

My soldering skills are decent, do you guys think it would be worth the risk to swap EEPROM from the fried box into the good box just to unlock a stock (seagate) hard drive?

#2 RaGe

RaGe

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:09 AM

no to much risk for a drive that you might be able to get 20 bucks for

#3 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:46 AM

if you've got good soldering skills then go for it, it's only an 8 pin SOIC, the legs are nicely spaced

i'd make sure you've got de-soldering braid ready,, either that or to get em off I flood them with solder, lift one side up, remove solder on that side leaving the legs free, then repeat for other side. use the braid to clean up afterwards!

Edited by bleugh, 02 November 2003 - 07:46 AM.

#4 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 November 2003 - 07:58 AM

if you've got good soldering skills then go for it, it's only an 8 pin SOIC, the legs are nicely spaced

i'd make sure you've got de-soldering braid ready,, either that or to get em off I flood them with solder, lift one side up, remove solder on that side leaving the legs free, then repeat for other side. use the braid to clean up afterwards!

When I read it, I figured he meant an eeprom.bin backup file, not the actual chip on the mobo biggrin.gif

If it is just the eeprom.bin, I would say go for it! Just back it up so that you can put it back after you are done unlocking the hdd...

(Or, if you have the bin, try and get the password somehow and unlock the drive on a pc?)

#5 Grendal

Grendal

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 November 2003 - 01:35 PM

If nothing works, you could probably sell the EEPROM to someone that got banned from XBL.

#6 BCfosheezy

BCfosheezy

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:20 PM

I physically swap eeproms all the time. It works beautifully. Take the guy's advice from above about lifting the legs and using braid. Also remember to fully melt each joint before prying up, otherwise you'll have more destroyed traces. Take your time and it will work out.

#7 catdog2

catdog2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 07:04 AM

Removing the eeprom is relatively easy, if you have decent soldering skills then it should be no trouble at all. I have removed a few to unlock stock harddrives without any problems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users