HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:08 AM

Well guys this is a question i have been asking my self for afew months now. Should we go on sourceforeg asap?. Is there enough intrest fdor this project? Do you think if we go on sourceforge that more people will help code & contribute to this project. These are afew questions i and the other devs have been asking our selves. The major one is that if we go on sourceforge will our source be used 2 make another dash that is similar 2 nexgen & have no contributions at all? The major question is we are now looking for some more devs to help us out. So if you have time & willing 2 code alil bit to give back 2 the xbox -scene then please pop me a pm or reply 2 this thread with ur qualifications ect.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 03 November 2003 - 12:17 AM

With several people working on it, I'd say YES.

Additionally, you might be able to get improvements and unjam problems with the source handily available.

As for branching, consider XBMP is open source, as is my own MXM, and nobody's tried making clones yet of those projects.

Edited by BenJeremy, 03 November 2003 - 12:20 AM.

#3 cire2k

cire2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 10:55 PM

I hope the project is going better than how you speak English. Somehow I don't think it is.

#4 Large Dopant white

Large Dopant white

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:03 PM

If you're worried about branching, use the GPL license, so any works using sourcecode derived from your project have to be opensource themselves. So even if it isn't a contribution directly into the CVS tree, it's still got the source available and, therefore, any feature implemented therein could be integrated into the main project. Also, I'm not sure if the GPL license is 'inherited' (i.e. any project derived from GPL'd source is also GPL'd by default), but if it is, it'd prevent branching further by making it impossible for the branched project to have a conflicting license that would restrict the use of the sourcecode.
I'm no lawyer, and I could be wrong about the advice, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes. Maybe that'll help ease your worries. As a personal opinion, however, if you're worried about branching, then don't opensource it at all. Besides, as BJ stated, XBMP, XBMC, and MXM are all opensource, and no branching has occured to any of those projects.

#5 LumbraX

LumbraX

BANNED AGAIN - Multiple Abuses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts
  • Interests:skateboarding

Posted 05 November 2003 - 01:36 AM

yes please go on sourceforge, that would make development faster and easier for other developers that would like to contribute.

Edited by LumbraX, 05 November 2003 - 01:37 AM.

#6 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:47 AM

Well the application has been sent 2 sourceforge i will see what happens

#7 moistness

moistness

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (cire2k @ Nov 4 2003, 12:55 AM)
I hope the project is going better than how you speak English. Somehow I don't think it is.

twat! make your own dash!

#8 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 12:48 PM

Ok well good news our application has been accepted at sourceforge

the url is

http://sourceforge.n...ts/nexgen-dash/

But before we upload anything i will be having a meeting with all the devs about this. Also if any 1 else that is intrested in joining us & finishing the project please post bellow this post. Please we need all the help we can get now. Many feature will hopefully be ported over from other open source projects such as dvd2xbox & mxm. ( thanks go 2 the devs for these excelent programs & to the fact that there gone opensource). So please any help is appriciated.

#9 ^Blazed^

^Blazed^

Avalaunch Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 November 2003 - 11:46 AM

I think it's a wise decision to go open source with your dash.

Seems to me that you have to little time on your hands these days, and it would be a shame to just throw all your hard work away.

beerchug.gif

#10 CptanPanic

CptanPanic

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 04:19 PM

Its funny that people worry about code branching off from there software if they go open source. There are 3 reasons why programmers write homebrew software,1) to have fun programming, 2) to create a program that they can use, 3) and to create a program that the scene can use. So what does it matter if someone uses your code to make another program. I could understand if you were selling the program, but it is free. Open Source benifits the entire scene by making it easier for more programs to be made.

I think all free software should be open source, and developers that think otherwise are just being selfish.

CP

#11 ^Blazed^

^Blazed^

Avalaunch Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (CptanPanic @ Nov 7 2003, 06:19 PM)
I think all free software should be open source, and developers that think otherwise are just being selfish.

Selfish?

WTH!!!

So you consider ppl that spends most of their spare time, developing some stuff that YOU among others can use for free, are selfish?!?!?

Wow, you have to be the most ignorant person ever.

beerchug.gif

#12 CptanPanic

CptanPanic

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (^Blazed^ @ Nov 13 2003, 01:59 AM)

WTH!!!

So you consider ppl that spends most of their spare time, developing some stuff that YOU among others can use for free, are selfish?!?!?

Wow, you have to be the most ignorant person ever.

That's my point, developers spend free time developing software for the people, but are being selfish towards other developers. Just look how far XBMP has gotten because it was able to use the mplayer source code. I personally use avalaunch, and appreciate your efforts, but I believe it would be even better if it could have been based on an open source dash, so you you wouldn't have to start from scratch. And I applod(sp?) the XdashOS team for doing this, since I think it will be very valuable to the scene.

beerchug.gif Cheers to all the xbox developers.

#13 yannotmi

yannotmi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 05:21 PM

I am learning more and more about sourceforge and the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

I thank and respect ALL developers that work for free to better technology.

All the selfish "users" should praise these people who make your day better....

yannottmi

#14 eyric101

eyric101

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 05:31 PM

I agree. If you do not release the source you arn't doing it for everyone you are doing it for your own ego. So for your own ego someone else will have to spend all the time you spend, instead of spending that time expanding on what already exists making an even better project. But I guess the "respect" game (ie very large ego) is rampant.

#15 konfoo

konfoo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (CptanPanic @ Nov 7 2003, 06:19 PM)

What about free software that uses closed source libraries (i.e. socket libraries, etc.). Not all free software is a candidate for being opensource. And the developer may also not want to deal with the headache of managing a development group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users