X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (conneen @ Jan 2 2004, 12:58 AM)
I want to take this a step further.

I want globally block 3074 UDP/TCP. Effectively disabling live.

Then I want to unblock it for 192.168.1.170.

If I manually configure the MSDash/Live to use 192.168.1.170.
And I manually configure my Evox Dash to use 192.168.1.175.

If I boot with the Modchip off. (ending up with *.170), then Live should work.

If I boot with the Modchip on. (ending up with *.175), then Live won't work.

Now my only question is, if I play a backup while the modchip is on, and try to access Live with it. Will it use the settings from Evox (175) or the settings from the MSDash (170)?

Conneen

Did you ever test this out? It sounds like a great idea.

#32 th3gh05t

th3gh05t

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (thepro8 @ Nov 5 2003, 07:11 PM)
good point shana...I forgot about that. Ever since live i don't play on tunneling anymore.

How can you live w/o playing Halo multiplayer online?

#33 Jully

Jully

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (frank10 @ May 17 2004, 08:19 PM)
Did you ever test this out? It sounds like a great idea.

i doubt it will work, because it saved my ass one time. i had my xbox over a friends house and he has a diffrent ip addy's for his computers. i went into evox(which had my own ip settings), then i put a game disc in to play on live and forgot the chip was still, but luckly msdash keeps what evox had so my ip addy wasn't able to connect to his router so i couldn't connect to live and saved myself from getting banned. so you can't have 2 ip addresses, evox will overide the msdash one as soon as you turn the chip on. go into evox, then turn it off and go into msdash and tell me what you get

#34 johnblox

johnblox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

If xbox is behind NAT router it prevents INCOMING connections except on the few opened ports and then only to the IP specified in the route. BUT any pc/xbox can initiate comms OUT of any ports. Is this xblive secure or not?

#35 Leafz

Leafz

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:Modding Xbox's, Adding Mods to Xbox's even if their modded.<br />Hockey, Toronto Maple Leafs.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:28 AM

buy adding a passcode for security, would that help prevent on connection to live? or does it check after you connect?

#36 gimpism

gimpism

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:25 PM

why not block any traffic to their servers? It basically comes down to determining if they have a set ip range or and point to a dns name/pool.

Edited by gimpism, 13 November 2004 - 04:25 PM.

#37 Bizarro

Bizarro

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 05:47 PM

i have (probably a stupid) question.
shanafan says to block ports
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

why shouldn't we also block
UDP 53

#38 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:43 PM

Because UDP 53 is used for DNS, and you might want that for other things wink.gif

#39 Tittie

Tittie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:31 AM

If I have 1 box with 2 hdds. One Softmod for FUN, the other retail for Live. I use static IP on both with different IP addresses. I would be safe just blocking the ports on the softmod IP right?

#40 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(conneen @ Jan 1 2004, 01:04 PM)
I want to take this a step further.

I want globally block 3074 UDP/TCP. Effectively disabling live.

Then I want to unblock it for 192.168.1.170.

If I manually configure the MSDash/Live to use 192.168.1.170.
And I manually configure my Evox Dash to use 192.168.1.175.

If I boot with the Modchip off. (ending up with *.170), then Live should work.

If I boot with the Modchip on. (ending up with *.175), then Live won't work.

Now my only question is, if I play a backup while the modchip is on, and try to access Live with it. Will it use the settings from Evox (175) or the settings from the MSDash (170)?

Conneen

View Post

since there has been no confirmation of this method in this thread, i decided to test it partially, but since i did not desire to force a hacked xbox to connect to xbl not thoroughly... unfortunately, i may have gotten banned(99% positive) in my testing method anyways, but i will not know that until tomorrow. sad.gif

the only thing that did not work for me with conneen's theory was that after several reboot tests, the retail dash network settings would very often accept the the hacked dash ip address - not sure why...

the only way to keep my retail dash from assuming the same manual ip from the hacked dash, was to set the retail dash network settings to dhcp. after this, i could block xbl access for my manually configured hacked dash ip by adding an access restriction rule to my router which allows the hacked dash ip internet access, but blocks udp/tcp 3074 port access specifically.

EDIT - after re-reading this, i realize it is not clear how i tested it. to test whether xbl access was blocked to a specifc ip, i tried connecting to xbl through the retail dash which was manually configured with the ip i wanted to block. once i had it blocked, i tested for internet access by launching my hacked dash and making sure i could still download a skin with the same manually configured ip and the xbl blocking rule enabled.

i have tested it several times over the last hour with as many reboot combinations as i can think of and it is still working for me.

if i receive the ban message due to this testing i have done so far, i will have an *expiring in 3 weeks* flagged gt to do some more tests and i have been wondering about the validity of the flagged gt *extra testing* theories anyways. however, if i do those tests, i will write a new post for it.

Edited by STICKY_BUD, 15 March 2005 - 10:32 PM.

#41 schnide

schnide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:02 AM

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that there was an edit to the EvoX config file to make sure that Live didn't connect? Or have I got this wrong?

I've just setup my entire network so that my XBox runs through my PC with internet connection sharing, and although I'm going to try to disconnect the network lead each time I'm not on Live without the chip, I'm worried I'll forget.

Any automatic solution to allow only Live with the chip off and allow everything except Live with the chip on would be a complete blessing!

Keep up the good work guys, I'll wait patiently for the perfect fix..

#42 schnide

schnide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:08 AM

Hang on.. if we're all looking for a way to make sure we don't connect to Live when our modchips are on, why can't EvoX just be setup to hide the directory on the HD with all the gamertag information?

Surely if that was hidden to the Xbox, it couldn't connect to Live at all.. or am I just being dumb?

#43 schnide

schnide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

Uh.. anyone?

#44 schnide

schnide

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

Still waiting..

#45 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:18 PM

the gamertag isnt in a directory, its in the HDs partition table

and evox cant do anything liek that, i dont think anything can except maybe that softmod with the virtual C (all it could do is hide your online dashbaord and have a virtual C with an older dash, of course any Live game can update that)

but seriously, why cant you just use a Live blocking bios like the rest of us?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users