#1 KazuyaWaruasobi

KazuyaWaruasobi

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:48 AM

I bought my Xbox at launch but it died recently, so I was hoping that i'd be able to get a V1.1 since it has a better DVD drive and is quiter. I ordered a Matrix (I wonder what will get here first: my chip of the x2 BIOS) since it will be compatible with V1.1, but had a few questions.

1) Is an updated BIOS all the Matrix needs to be V1.1 compatible?

2) I want to use colormod, ybox, and noani features. Will I just have to wait for the EvoX team to make a V1.1 BIOS and then wait some more for the community to put out some designer BIOSs?

3) Theoretically: if I put Xbox V1.0's Western Digital HD in V1.1, would it cause any problems?

Thanks.

#2 rjm2k

rjm2k

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (KazuyaWaruasobi @ Nov 11 2002, 09:48 AM)
I bought my Xbox at launch but it died recently, so I was hoping that i'd be able to get a V1.1 since it has a better DVD drive and is quiter. I ordered a Matrix (I wonder what will get here first: my chip of the x2 BIOS) since it will be compatible with V1.1, but had a few questions.

1) Is an updated BIOS all the Matrix needs to be V1.1 compatible?

2) I want to use colormod, ybox, and noani features. Will I just have to wait for the EvoX team to make a V1.1 BIOS and then wait some more for the community to put out some designer BIOSs?

3) Theoretically: if I put Xbox V1.0's Western Digital HD in V1.1, would it cause any problems?

Thanks.

1. Yes as far as anyone knows

2. Yes, though such customisation using programs like fancbox may be more difficult because of the hash check.

3. Probably not (if the drive is unlocked), but why bother?

#3 Cornholio

Cornholio

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 01:21 PM

2. Yes, though such customisation using programs like fancbox may be more difficult because of the hash check.

Actually, AFAIK the only thing different about the 1.1 is the key. So all that should be needed is to encode the BIOS with the correct key.

Since fancbox requires you to place the key in it's ini file, that should work too, with the correct 1.1 key.

Of course until someone who knows this key releases the info, this is all speculation. But I do wonder why this hasn't been done already. It's been stated in several places that it was no harder to find than the 1.0 key - so why is there not a 1.1 BIOS already ?

#4 Xevious

Xevious

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:49 PM

Hmm... this makes me wonder if M$ will try to flash v1 BIOSes via Live or DVD in the future. The advantage is that this kind of measure would be an effective mod countermeasure; the disadvantage, of course, would be all of the Xboxes that would inevitably wind up having to go in for service to repair a bad or incomplete flash due to user error, power failure, etc.

I doubt that this is something we need to worry about now. Let's just hope that Live cheaters don't make M$ this desperate to counter mods.

#5 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (KazuyaWaruasobi @ Nov 11 2002, 09:48 AM)
I bought my Xbox at launch but it died recently, so I was hoping that i'd be able to get a V1.1 since it has a better DVD drive and is quiter

This is just outright WRONG!! You can still get a crappy drive in a v1.1 XBOX!!!!

#6 KazuyaWaruasobi

KazuyaWaruasobi

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:58 AM

Everything i've read states that the new Xbox's have a better DVD drive, and a quiter Seagate drive. Is M$ just throwing better DVD drives into random Xboxs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users