• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 glyndwr

glyndwr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 11:27 AM

I'm not sure how well known this is, so forgive me if this seems obvious to you. But if you don't know about it this is a very handy trick.

I recently blew away my MediaX menu directory (doh) and needed to recover it from a burned DVD+R in my Xbox software collection. I searched around for a tool to allow me to read the disk in a Windows machine but I couldn't find one; that struck me as odd. I was about to run a long ethernet cable downstairs to FTP the files off my Xbox directly when inspiration struck.

I put the DVD+R in my DVD-ROM drive in my Linux workstation; this is IDE device /dev/hdc. Then I typed this:

CODE
extract-xiso -l /dev/hdc

Turns out that extract-xiso has no problems at all reading from raw /dev nodes; it worked fine! I then used extract-xiso to recover my files back from the DVD+R, which was both a lot quicker and a lot easier than FTPing them off an Xbox.

As I said, possibly this is a well-known trick, but I thought it was neat and just incase anyone didn't know you could do it... well, now you do!

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Huge bump, but..

Found a variation on this, I wanted to create an XISO file from a Backup and created a local symlink of my raw device:

ln -s /dev/cdrom cdrom

and ran extract-xiso:

extract-xiso -r cdrom

You need the symlink because extract-xiso likes to rename the original file to cdrom.old, not a good idea for the raw device.

Unfortunately, i didn't get it to work to completion, but I suspect it was too many scratches on the disk.

Edited by Movax, 08 January 2012 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users