RapBoy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:28 AM

Game: True Crimes Streets of LA

Okay, if you couldn't tell by the title, there is a lot of rap in this game. A LOT of rap. Now, if you're like me, and don't hold any fond interest in rap, rejoice that Xbox does indeed allow you to make your own soundtrack... then weep furiously because it rarely ever seems to play your songs.

This game makes GTA look uninspired. There are a ton of things you can do in this game, just beware because the game likes to autosave a lot (like whenever you enter a building), so don't go killing a ton of people, then enter a building.
Gameplay 10

It's really fun with the random crimes. You'll never understand that pleasure of chasing someone down at high speeds and shooting out their tires till you play this game.

Also, the fact that you can give up on story missions rocks.

I won't bore you with the details of how there's a ton of moves, I'll just say it's like GTA met up with Max Payne, Dead to Rights, and Gungrave and had sweet, sweet, passionate, dirty... well let's put it this way, this was the result.

The controls are tough to get used to at first. You will probably end up slightly customizing your own. That said, everything works responsively.
Controll 9

I'll warn you that getting ''neutralizing shots'' off of enemies is very hard when you're chasing them on foot, you'll probably end up killing them more often than not.

The cars' movement is somewhere in between GTA and GT3, they more pretty realistically (read: like card board boxes) but at the same time, some of the stuff you can do in those cars is just impossible. Be warned, though, that you won't open up too many ''neat car moves'' at the beginning of the game.

There's some really good detail in the game, and the character models all look nice. The cars are shiny. And the bullet time effects are neat. There are still paper trees though. Did I mention how shiny the cars are?
Visuals 10

This one's tricky. The quality is good, but they cuss alot. Maybe for some people that isn't a problem, but it's somewhere in between GTA and Getaway with the language. If bad language offends you to no end, however, you can always turn the voices off and whatnot. That is another nice thing about the audio, they give you ample opportunities to adjust it.
Sound 7

Now, as for the music. If you like rap, you'll like this game. If you think rap is just okay, you'll still like this game, but will slowly get tired of the song selections. If you don't like rap, you'll be wanting to get the Xbox version of this game, where you can use your own CDs for the music, and you WILL be turning off all the other songs. I have no idea why they made the entire soundtrack rap, I'd rather not question it, cause honestly, I don't care, but for whatever reason, even if you turn off all of the rap music, some of it still plays (perhaps my copy is just defected). I don't know why. It just does. I'll say this much though, there's something oddly funny about going into a high speed chase with happy sonic music in the background... no, maybe that's just disturbing.

Can't really say, actually, I haven't seen it all, but it's really fun so far. I love the branching story idea, you will too.
Plot 10

This game is not GTA, but it's got a lot more stuff to do and it will keep you busy. Just make sure you like rap.
Overall 10

#2 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:25 PM

Don't forget, you can turn off individual songs...

#3 whitecastle

whitecastle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:10 PM

I really like this game ALOT. I never played GTA III and so don't say one is better then
the other... but one thing that REALLY, REALLY, REAAAALLy sucks is the camera. Especially when you get out of your car and start running. The camera doesn't auto swing around you and often you don't know what the hell is going on while you try to get the camera to face the right direction so you can see your opponant. PLUS, I prefer the switch the directions of the camera in my games, so when I move the thumbstick left the camera moves right so my character "sees" what's what to his left. But it's all reveresed here and you it'screws me up.

That's my only, albeit very large, beef with this game.

#4 Spawnarius

Spawnarius

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:02 PM

That inverse horizontal look puzzled me a bit but it's ok I guess you can get used to it smile.gif

I really like driving in this game...It feels like a light version of Driver biggrin.gif

#5 DuDeR MaN

DuDeR MaN

X-S X-perience

• PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:31 AM

anyone else find it odd that this guys name is rapboy yet he hates rap?

Well I personally am not a fan of rap. But I have the entire metallica and nirvana music collection (yes even the subpar tunes from st. anger) on my box along with various tracks from artists such as greenday, puddle of mudd, system of a down, alice in chains, black sabbath, blue oyster cult, red hot chili peppers, and a bunch more. So I don't think music will be a problem with me. biggrin.gif

Thing is I bought this game... yes bought a REAL copy, take that leechers, and before I'm even ready to open it up my xbox craps out on me. So now it's getting fixed as we speak... I wanna play this damn game! (I also bought gta3 the same day, god damn it!)

#6 anonymo

anonymo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:48 PM

Rapboy "This game makes GTA look uninspired."

Have you played this game??? It plays for about 8 hours and ever single mission is the same, sneak in, shoot the place up and then kung-fu your ass out...fun for the first three levels until you find out the only new guns you get are shitty and you can only 'own' 4 cars. If you ask me the only good part about this game is Christopher Walken and the bonus disco scene when you finish the game...boy was that funny. I just wish someone could hack Tommy Vircetti into the game so when some poor bastard playing Nick comes along to try and arrest me for selling cocaine to children I can whip out my chain gun and send him 'BACK TO CALI'

#7 420warrior

420warrior

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 11:17 AM

I have to say that I don't understand why people like this game so much. I tried it out and played though the entire game. I felt it was really short. The worst of all though, I don't think that this game had a single original aspect in it. The gun shooting aspect is in my opinion the most fun part of the game, but is a complete clone of Max Payne. It even has a bullet time timer and a roll move for dodging bullets while shooting. The sneaking is copied from Metal Gear. The karate is a copy of Shenmue. The karate is what ruined this game for me. It is nothing more than paper/scissors/rock with kung fu. The grabs seem ackward and never really seemed to work to well for me. The driving was fun, but an obvious copy of GTA. Even has the small circular map at the bottom right of screen.

I did like the good cop/bad cop rating system. I also really liked the story and graphics.

For those who don't know, Cristopher Walken is the narrator.

Final rating 4 of 10

#8 slappy00

slappy00

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 06:57 AM

I'm playing it right now:

The good:

• Vehicle Physics
  • the whole arresting thing
  • decent one-liners

The bad:

• Horrible camra control
  • uninspired Kung-Fu
  • Markers disappear, hard to find your way back from anywhere

My personal quirks were the whole goodcop/bad cop system. I hateed it, in fact i dont see why the hell you have it in the first place. I would want to be able to play as the bad cop or be a fallen cop where i could play for the other side. Nope none of that be a good cop or its gonna be a bitch to play.
Also i really dont get the whole "immobolize" thing there is a guy freaking unloading on me with a ak or whatever and i have to take care not to hurt him huh.gif . And if i do shoot him i lose a shield

Other than those gripes the gameplay isnt that bad, in fact i like how criminals will jack another car and take off. I also like shooting tires out and such. I think that this is a step in the right direction but needs a bit more breadth before it can truly be on the level of GTA in terms of non-mission gameplay.

#9 snoopdogg

snoopdogg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 December 2003 - 11:15 AM

Visuals 10 ???? are you serious?

sorry, i'd say this is one of the ugliest game i've ever played?

more than 5, no way.

#10 glueMEgus

glueMEgus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:00 AM

i played it for a few weeks then dropped the controller. however it is good game for awhile. you must remember that if a game mixes elements of driving/shooting/fighting they each have to suffer in depth. good for a rental.

#11 SYN-SpyDeR

SYN-SpyDeR

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:27 PM

agreed . rental at most, it has all the genres yet they all take a back seat and cant fully focus on one. rental indeed.

#12 bigwurm

bigwurm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:51 AM

I hired it out a couple of weeks ago and thought it was absolute crap. The models were dodgy and I thought the shooting and fighting system were like Dead To Rights, which also sucked.

I remember one mission where I was chasing some car and noticed it was just driving around the block all the time so i thought i'd go back the other way and cut them off, but it said they got away.

The good cop bad cop system was also fairly bad, It would make sense that the second you started mecrilessly killing by standers that you get a game over or something.

#13 death_driver_911

death_driver_911

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:22 AM

i think it is a really good game untill youve beaten it becuse arresting little fags on the street gets boring after a while. otherwise i thiink this is a really goood game biggrin.gif

#14 Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:27 PM

I do enjoy the soundtrack to this game, but how do we rip the tracks off the game and onto your PC or Xbox?

#15 deathx88

deathx88

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Interests:xbox stuff, guitar stuff, pc stuff, and hacking stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:06 AM

i liked going around a doing those little side job missions
but i would still rather play GTA