• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggin78

Wiggin78

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 08:58 PM

I have a Phillips drive and did the pot tweak today. I had it at a spot where it would read a few more dvd-r's but not all. I tried going just a little bit further and now I can't get it to read anything, not even original games. i knew this was a possibilty but was hoping it wouldn't happen. What are my options? is there anywayto fix it. i tried puting back to the original spot but it still doesn't work. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Wiggin78, 09 November 2003 - 08:59 PM.

#2 Grendal

Grendal

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:29 PM

I've never messed with pot tweaking myself. Just find a brand of media that works and stick with it, I figured. If you had a Thomson, you could buy a new laser from Liksang. Look thru the tutorials section for how to use a PC DVD drive in your Xbox. I think there's a Samsung one that works. Or maybe you could find a used Phillips drive around here. Check the buy/sell section.

#3 Wiggin78

Wiggin78

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 03:46 AM

So, can I use any of the xbox dvd drives in the box or do I have to use the same brand that was in there originally? The Samsung would be the ideal choice and I have seen a few on Ebay, so do I have to use the same brand?

#4 Grendal

Grendal

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 November 2003 - 04:47 AM

I don't really know.

#5 melongstrike

melongstrike

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 November 2003 - 05:20 AM

you can use any drive

#6 Rileq

Rileq

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Xbox mods... and my family.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 10 November 2003 - 05:22 AM

You can use ANY Xbox DVD drive in your box. It doesn't matter. It's the HD/MB combo that counts if you're running the M$ bios. If not, then it doesn't matter at all.

#7 pontfirebird73

pontfirebird73

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:05 AM

i am going to attempt to replace my pot with one salvaged from a cd drive. i will post the results but technically it should work as long as the pots are the same rating. plus the new one is much easier to turn (no resin covering).

update- yes it works and its not all that hard to remove either.

Edited by pontfirebird73, 04 December 2003 - 03:37 AM.

#8 garzilla

garzilla

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 02:59 PM

I am having a similar problem with my thompson drive do you think you could give me some tips on replacing the pot. How do I determine if its the same rating? will a pot from a cd drive work on the dvd drive?

#9 tng168

tng168

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:01 PM

Can someone help here. I try to do the pot tweak on a thompson. I can't even get the reading to stay on the multimeter it just keep on bouncing around for a second and then just went down to the single digit. Can some tell me how to get the reading to stay? I have 2 thompson and they all doing the same thing.

Thanks
any help would be appreciated.

#10 D-sil

D-sil

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:14 AM

Last night we tried a thompson tweak aswell. It didn't really succeeded. It reads dvd-r very well now, but it doesn't read original games very well. We will keep on trying, but there is something we found out which is very important for all thompson tweakers in the future. [FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]You can move the laserholder (or however you call it) And this will affect the OHM measurements. laser up gave a reading of 600 ohms, laser down gave a reading of 1600 ohms!!!!!![SIZE=1] We don't know which reading is the one to use, but we keep on trying. The biggest problem was the resin, but a tip: try to get resin of, put it back together and then try an empty or old cd. The heat from the spinning will smoothen the resin. After this the screw is more visible and easier to turn.

keep on tryin....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users