• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 143

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 05:16 PM

I am confused about setting up the IP for my XBOX in my FTP program. The tutorial talks about how a router will assign a different IP every time the XBOX is powered on/off. What exactly do I need to do to connect into my XBOX every time? Re-assign an IP everytime I want to FTP into it?

Here is my current setup:

user posted image

Thank in advance for the help!

#2 andyd

andyd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 05:54 PM

Your router will do that automically. You will have to check to see if the IP has changed when you connect through FTP. Easier if you're always connecting different xboxs or other equipment but if you only have a couple of things on your network then its probably easier just to assign static ips.

#3 eug_one

eug_one

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:07 PM

I did not want to fiddle with all the router stuff, so I just got a cross-over cable and it made my life a lot simplier. Although looking at your setup, it may be a pain hooking and unhooking everytime you want to FTP. The other suggestion I have seen is to get a secondary NIC card used just for the XBOX crossover cable.

#4 gr8fuldea

gr8fuldea

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:30 PM

Switches and routers usually reserve the same IP address for the same MAC address piece of equipment for 3 days minimum of it not being seen by the network (ie disconnected or turned off). This translates to: All of the PCs hooked up (and laptop) will keep their same IP address day in and day out. If the XBox was installed on the network last whatever IP it got assigned should stay with it also since all the other devices won't need to grab the xbox's IP (they keep their same IPs). I think the only problem you may run into would be if you added another device to the network and didn't use the xbox for an extended period of time, then it's IP could conceivably get assigned to the new device.

So if your 4 computers got assigned IPs 192.168.1.100 - 103 and your xbox got assigned 192.168.1.104, then it would keep this 104 IP everytime you used it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users