22 replies to this topic

#1 gadgetaddict

gadgetaddict

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:57 PM

Hi - I don't want this to be taken the wrong way - personally, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to develop for the xbox and other scenes - but why go through all the effort of another dash? There's Avalaunch that I think is barely used, and Evox which is very popular.
I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything - I'm just wondering what this dash was supposed to offer versus the others. I think it's GREAT that there are choices - I'm just wondering if there was something I was missing. I checked the FAQ and the pinned topics, but didn't see anything. The screens did look great, but can't you just skin the other dash's?
Thanks for any reply.

#2 Ubergeek

Ubergeek

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:02 PM

you should be asking why use evox over avalaunch

without sounding biased is MUCH more advanced

#3 SNICK!

SNICK!

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do), motocross, gameconsoles and pc, Boxing, Shooting, Butchering.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:07 PM

well i can say whats the point in evox but it maybe cause some people like having different dashes.i like avalaunch and nexgen and mxm but i dont like evox (although many people do) its just personal preference. one thing i like about nexgen is when you access the http you can turn off your xbox from your computer on its very own website.

and plus its a nice project to do if you enjoy devloping.

if you saw how many dashes are out and then how much people use each one out of personal prespective. if that didn't happen we would still all be using the original ms dash or only evox (much respect to them they started it all)

cheerz

sorry if it sounded big headed its not supposed too

#4 gadgetaddict

gadgetaddict

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:36 PM

i've heard good things about avalaunch. it just seems evox is more popular. note, that doesn't make it better, although it seems to make it more supported. frankly, if slayer's came with doodydash i'd use that - at least initially. evox does what i want - i can archive my games to the HD, use ftp, potentially use xbmc if i ever install the thing, and basically all works well. if avalaunch can do more, then i'll have to check it out (one of these days....)
i was just wondering, particularly as from what i've read, it seems xdashos has a lot more work to be done, versus the already established/working other dashes.
i can only imagine the hundreds of hours of development time that went into it - it just seems to me that if it's "not ready for prime time" and the lead developers are backing off, that this dash is doomed.
i'm not trying to be a wiseguy - i couldn't program a toaster, and i barely get my vcr to work (okay, i'm a bit better than that but not much) and my hat is off to the GENIUSES who do this coding and development - i'm just wondering, after everything, if the leads back off, where can this dash possibly go, and what would the advantage be to developers working on this dash instead of improving the existing ones.
no disrespect intended.

#5 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:01 PM

first i would like to say that the develeopers in my team are not backing off but are expanding. Now you saying that why we should continue on a dash when there are many other dashboards avaialable. evo-x mxm & avalaunch. Dont get me wrong now all 3 dashboards are good. I been using evo-x from day 1 & still 2 this day still using it. Nut along with this i use avalaunch & im sure the team knows with all the help they have offered with nexgen. MXM what can a say benjeremy has done a wonderfull job & with that i congrat him. I use mxm as well no harm on having multiple dashboards and atm nexgen the team xos build is running on my xbox. I dont know y im using nexgen but there something i like about it. Maybe its because its got the M$ look or maybe the fact that im some how atracted to it. Z

Im sure if we get enough contribution & help Nexgen will be up there along with MXM EVO-X & AVALAUNCH

#6 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:19 AM

gadgetaddict is a moron.

He thinks Avalaunch is "Barely used" and doesn't even acknowledge MXM or XBMP/C.

Yes, he's exactly the person this refers to:
user posted image

#7 Ruxton

Ruxton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:53 AM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif jester.gif jester.gif jester.gif

#8 Lonecrow

Lonecrow

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:10 PM

lol thats some funny shit Ben!

#9 SNICK!

SNICK!

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do), motocross, gameconsoles and pc, Boxing, Shooting, Butchering.

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:10 PM

LOLOLOL
that pics funny rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif jester.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

#10 gadgetaddict

gadgetaddict

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Nov 12 2003, 03:19 AM)
gadgetaddict is a moron.

He thinks Avalaunch is "Barely used" and doesn't even acknowledge MXM or XBMP/C.

that's funny. i'd say a moron is a shmo who flames you when you ask a legitimate, respectful question.

#11 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (gadgetaddict @ Nov 12 2003, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Nov 12 2003, 03:19 AM)
gadgetaddict is a moron.

that's funny. i'd say a moron is a shmo who flames you when you ask a legitimate, respectful question.

Considering how obvious it is that you've never bothered trying anything BUT Evo-X, you came off as a moron, and your continued stubborness reinforces the first impression you made with the asinine post.

Kinda like the turd who asks the Wright Brothers why they are bothering with that durned flying contraption, when the horse-drawn carriage suits his personal needs just fine, just "KNOWING" he'll never care to even try those new-fangled doodads like "Horseless Carriages", "Trains" or "Aeroplanes"

#12 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Nov 11 2003, 09:19 PM)
gadgetaddict is a moron.

user posted image

dry.gif

To me, that is kinda rude, cause guess what? I have tried Avalaunch, and I have tried MXM, I have spent hours configuring it, and getting preview videos, etc. I use XBMP/C all the time. And guess what? I still prefer evox as my dash. The thing is, IMO, most people dont find evox "exciting", its a simple dash, as it has a simple operation to perform: launch apps/games. With the sentence "rather die than switch" you take the arrogant position that everyone is looking for the same thing in a dash, and that 1 thing is what you have made.

Considering how obvious it is that you've never bothered trying anything BUT Evo-X, you came off as a moron, and your continued stubborness reinforces the first impression you made with the asinine post.

I dont see where gadgetaddict was rude, or disrespectful in any way, it seems to me like he is just new to all of this, and simply hasnt tried anything else. Is it the really the end of the world? And to call him a 'moron' which by definition is "a stupid person" is completely unfounded, I doubt he is refusing to "acknowledge MXM or XBMP/C" for any reason other than he NEW to the scene. All the tutorials are based around evox, and thats what 99% of people use at first.

So if you want to people to try other dash's, maybe you can take the approach of explaining the benifits of one over the other, instead of simply insulting someone who genuinely asked for help and opinions.

Kinda like the turd who asks the Wright Brothers why they are bothering with that durned flying contraption, when the horse-drawn carriage suits his personal needs just fine, just "KNOWING" he'll never care to even try those new-fangled doodads like "Horseless Carriages", "Trains" or "Aeroplanes"

Can we expect to see you on the first manned mission to mars? Of course not, and hopefully you can see that was a silly analogy.

#13 SNICK!

SNICK!

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:01 AM

yea i didnt think it was rude either.

everyone has their own preferences and he likes evox (so does heinrich and many other people)

i use mxm but switch to evox and avalaunch quite allot to do the things they do. evox has some special features, like mxm does, evox can unlock and lock a hard drive and flash chips. mxm has preview videos and loads of other cool stuf. nexgen has built in http and you can turn off your xbox from your pc. avalaunch has a built in mp3 player and a load of other good features.

its just choice you cant force someoneto use a diferent dash if they dont want to.

cheerz

#14 moistness

moistness

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 15 November 2003 - 12:23 PM

Bj : bit harsh dude, but GREAT dash! cool.gif

Gadgetaddict : give mxm a go, its shit hot! tongue.gif

i use mxm as my main dash and ava for file transfers!

#15 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 02:45 PM

personaly...
evox is a newb dash, when you grow a set you get into the other dashes and see they make you xbox much more.
i think most people keep it around just incase, for its features or just cause they like it.dont get me wrong its a great das and its pretty much the back bone of moding right now.
aside from that.
in a post like this where you question a developer why they are building somthing... you cry when you get flamed ? people have just a much right to question you and why you would post such a question. you mihgt as well be the guy in the xbox forum who says why use xbox ps2 is better your just asking for shit.
why dont you just read some posts and find out why nexgen/xdashox is here instead of asking this silly question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users