#1 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:07 PM

Short version:
Can you get EEPROMs off of the HD, or just the mobo on a v1.0?

Long version:
Here's the situation: my cousin's un-modded v1.0 Xbox is giving the contact customer service screen, but no code #. I'm guessing it's the mobo (MCPX chip) that's screwed up. My cousin really wants to hang onto his saved games and if the hard drive is still good, then I say why not? That's where the EEPROMs come in.

From what I read up on the subject, I can't just swap his HD with another v1.0 HD. I need to get the old mobo's EEPROM loaded onto the new one so it'll work with the HD. But how do I do that? Mod-chip and configmagic? But if the old mobo is toast, can you get the EEPROM off of the HD?

Instead of using the EEPROM to match the new mobo to the old hard drive, can I match the old HD to the new mobo using the new mobo's EEPROM (without data loss)?

I thank you all for your help.

#2 Arius

Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:13 PM

without the eeprom HDD key its a paperweight mate.

I dont know of any way to get it back, short of removing the eeprom from the crapped out mobo and soldering it into a good one.

#3 KiLaHuRtZ

KiLaHuRtZ

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:20 PM

if you used evox to format and did the backup, then there should be an eeprom.bin file in C:|backup|eeprom.bin

otherwise avalaunch makes an image automatically and it is located in
E:|TDATA|080299ff|eeprom_backup.bin

otherwise i believe config magic can copy an eeprom provided you can get it to boot up

also if you locked the HDD with config magic there is a default password, i forget exactly what it is but you can search and find it. you can also unlock it by booting up dos disk on your comp with the hdd and use unlockx with the correct password to unlock it.

#4 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:22 PM

So the EEPROM is a chip? I thought it was just a code #. Maybe it's a code # in a chip.

Let's say the MCPX is fried. If I put a mod chip on this thing, will I be able to get to the EEPROM or am I out of luck? I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

#5 elduderino1234

elduderino1234

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:29 PM

if the mcpx is fried then the mobo is shit. you cant do anything without the mcpx. also, without an error #, there isn't an accurate way to debug your problem. Saved games can always be downloaded from xbox-saves.com.

#6 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:08 PM

Maybe it's not the MCPX. Because if it was, I wouldn't be getting any video at all. Or would I?

#7 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:57 PM

Okay, I've done a bit more Googling. So the EEPROM is a chip with a code in it. But I've still got some questions.

Is that code also on the HD, or just in the chip?
Can a mod chip with Evox or whatever help me get the EEPROM code even if the MCPX is bad?
Can the EEPROM chip be removed and placed in a new mobo (same version of course)?
Failing all that, can the old HDD be hooked up to my PC, the saved games taken off and FTPed onto a new Xbox HDD?

#8 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 01:51 AM

bump

#9 spgurley

spgurley

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2003 - 03:31 AM

I'll try to help you as much as I can in here, and you can PM or email or msg me for more help

eeprom: a small 6 pin chip near lpc points that stores xbox live code, hdd lock code, and tons of other stuff

i dotn think its the mcpx

modchip might fix, then again might not

if you get live info beta (i'll give it to you if you cant find it), you can put the locked hdd in the computer, run live info beta, and using the hdd's info it calculates the hdd's password

yes, the eeprom chip has fairly large sized prongs and is only 6, so you can unsolder it and put it in the new xbox

you can get an eeprom reader/writer to read the old eeprom and write that to the new xbox

you can unlock the old hdd with the code generated by live info beta, then lock it with the code for the new xbox and it'll work fine, or if you have a modhcip in the new xbox you can have the xbox lock it for you so you dont make any mistakes, or leave it unlocked (if you have a modchip)

contact me, i'll be happy to help u as much as i can

#10 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 05:44 AM

Thank you so much for the information, Spgurley7. I've got a new mobo on the way from Ebay, and I'll be buying a mod-chip soon. Which do you reccomend? I'm leaning towards the X-BIT.

Also, if the EEPROM is de-soldered and re-soldered into the new mobo, is that all there is to it? No use of a mod-chip required? I've got the soldering skills of a drunken monkey. But one of my uncles is an electric engineer, so I'd probably let him do it. Though the absolute safest bet seems to be a solderless mod-chip.

You say you don't think it's the MCPX chip. Do you think it's something else on the mobo or possibly the HDD? I know it's not the DVD Rom. Again, it was an unmodded, unopened Xbox until this codeless error occured.

Thanks again for your help, Spgurley7.

#11 prereality

prereality

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 12:03 AM

Has anyone actually unlocked a HD using the PSW from Live info beta as it does not seem to be giving me the correct psw as i cant unlock the HD with the password. i have tried two harddisk and niether could use the password to unlock it. I have a whole bunch of xbox HDs lieing around and am tring to make use of them

#12 Tokugawa

Tokugawa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:52 AM

bump

#13 dafoomie

dafoomie

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:31 AM

Can you get live info beta from the nameless irc channel everyone uses here? I have a similar problem as this guy, with having a fried motherboard and a new one without its hard drive. Since I fried my old one while soldering a modchip, I'd like to avoid having to desolder and resolder the eeprom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users