thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:21 PM

ok, this is gonna sound like a noob question, and im pretty sure it wont work. But if glue doesnt conduct electricity, cant you just make sure that there is a connection between wires and the circut board, then glue it in place?

#2 xfire21

xfire21

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:36 PM

well i dont think u can just place a wire on top of an lpc point then glue it down.but after its soldered down i dont see why u cant glue it to make sure it doesnt come loose.

#3 mcdonaldpd

mcdonaldpd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:00 PM

that is an excellent suggestion. my soldering needs work, so i drop a spot of hot glue on all of my solder points to keep them in place. solder is brittle and breaks if isn't done well (like when i do it). its good practice to do this if you suck at soldering.

#4 luma

luma

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:26 PM

gluing solder connections is a really dumb idea. look, when a solder job is done right, the solder itself forms an alloy with the conductors, and what you get is a joint made of solid metal - you can't beat that for stability. if you find youself gluing your solder joints because they tend to fall apart, it's because you're doing it wrong.

your best bet is to take apart some piece of electronic equipment that is either completely broke or you just don't care about, and practice your soldering for a bit. try removing components and putting them back onto the board, or soldering lead wires onto existing solder pads or joints. it really isn't hard, and you'll get the hang of it pretty fast.

#5 luma

luma

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:28 PM

oh - one more thing. the nice bit about solder is that if you screw it up, you can usually undo it and start over. or if you want to put in a new/different chip, or if you need to repair a broken chip, etc, etc. try removing superglue from your circuit board sometime and you'll appreciate solder a bit more :)

#6 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2003 - 02:03 PM

i know that, i have done a lot of soldering myself, but what i was asking was, can i glue it down in place of soldering, because my freinds want to try and install chips rather than get me to do it. but if it cant be done, so be it, i just get more money from them

#7 chelrob

chelrob

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 05 December 2003 - 04:06 PM

Step outside the box for and second a read what you are asking. If you have to resort to glueing wires you really shouldn't be opening an xbox at all. Find something to practice soldering on. Clean your work and use flux.

If you want to play an expensive joke on your friends tell them to go ahead and glue the wires to the Motherboard.

Edited by chelrob, 05 December 2003 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users