Photo

Fastest FTP Speed, FTP-XBOX Using MXM

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your fastest FTP Transfer, FTP-2-XBOX using MXM as a Dashboard

What is your fastest FTP Transfer, FTP-2-XBOX using MXM as a Dashboard

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 KForce

KForce

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:21 AM

omg you ppl. i am a network engineer. my network constantly pushes 70,000k my average push to my xbox is around 27,000k or 27mbit p/s. i am using a netgear gig card in my pc and a cisco 3750G switch. do not use crossover cables you cheap asses crossover cables will cause more packet collisions between boxes than ever. if you want real speed use a GOOD switch.

kforce

ps the guy that said 10/100 cards will average 5mbit? then how does my 10mbit internet function?

#47 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:24 AM

isnt 27,000 near impossible for the xbox's nic? isnt 12,000 or so the max speed?

#48 FrightfoO

FrightfoO

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:38 PM

I get above the 3000Kbps up'ing to the Xbox (something between 4000Kbps(3.9Mbps)-5000Kbps (4.89Mbps) is peak) and I get like 7000 kbps (6.83Mbps) down from the Xbox to PC.

#49 KM0r

KM0r

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (KForce @ Nov 5 2004, 08:24 AM)
omg you ppl. i am a network engineer. my network constantly pushes 70,000k my average push to my xbox is around 27,000k or 27mbit p/s. i am using a netgear gig card in my pc and a cisco 3750G switch. do not use crossover cables you cheap asses crossover cables will cause more packet collisions between boxes than ever. if you want real speed use a GOOD switch.

kforce

ps the guy that said 10/100 cards will average 5mbit? then how does my 10mbit internet function?

---------------------------

Are you serious? Normally I would have assumed that this is a mis-informed post and could have skipped by, save the part where you are a self-proclaimed "network engineer" and your overall tone and lack of respect for this thread.

"27mbit" to your xbox. Now I'm not sure if you meant 27 Megabit/sec to your xbox, which is sad considering the network you claim to have. Or perhaps you meant 27 Megabyte/sec, which is equally sad since this far exceeds the possible transmit rate of the xbox interface. I'll give you time to recalculate your numbers and maybe get back to us.

The part that concerns me the most is your statement that "crossover cables will cause more packet collisions between boxes than ever". The previous statement suggests that you do not understand the difference between layer 1 and layer 2 switching. Where exactly are the other packets being generated from when 2 devices are connected via crossover? A transmits to B and in turn B transmits to A. Why then would A transmit to C when there is no C on the network? And on the flip side, how would C introduce packets to either A or B without physical connectivity? I'll keep it as basic as the aforementioned. While there may be other advantages using a switch, I believe the best overall bandwidth results would be had by the use of a crossover cable.

For the sake of the thread, I get an average of about 8MB/sec to my xbox using Flashfxp, a crossover cable and MXM. When I had the xbox on the network I'd get around 6 - 7MB depending on the usage. I'm currently upgrading my network. Maybe I'll be able to hit 8MB with better equipment. Now mind you, these stats are from flashfxp, which once informed me that I was pulling 12MB/sec from my xbox and I donít think is possible (other than theoretically) on a 100Mb switched network. The difference was that the data was being transferred to a server with SCSI drives, but I still think it was misreporting its speed.

-KM0r

#50 s00pcan

s00pcan

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:17 PM

Bah, I was wondering why my speeds suck. My hub is an old 10mbps one.. time to get a router.

#51 slidellsimba2

slidellsimba2

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 November 2004 - 11:29 PM

i get about 8-9 megs a sec no matter what dash i use. but mxm is my default so if i am in another one i highly doubt i am ftp'ing anything, but i did test them all transferring the same files with my ftp prog and my box is consistent

#52 Dai_UK

Dai_UK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:22 PM

blink.gif

I doubt this guys claim, on a fully switched network at work I get 8 - 9 mbps to an IBM X345 server. from my P4M laptop.

The server has 1GB NIC I connect at the switch with 100MBIT and

the truth of the matter is my laptop HD cannot push more than this.

I suspect the xbox cannot exceed this either seeing as the laptop is ATA100 with a 5,400 rpm drive.

Yes laptops are slower than desktops but FTP is also pretty poor at super fast transfers, lets be thankful we don't use Secure FTP transfers ! rotfl.gif

#53 NerdENerd

NerdENerd

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 November 2004 - 04:41 AM

I find the best speed using Avalaunch.
Using EvoX I get about 8 megabytes a second.
Using Avalaunch I get about 9 - 10 megabytes a second.
PC and Xbox plugged into a 5 port switch, Xbox has a 160gig drive.
I used to get about 4 megabytes a second with my original Xbox drive.

Edited by NerdENerd, 22 November 2004 - 04:42 AM.

#54 el_diablo

el_diablo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:43 AM

nerd its the oppisite for me smile.gif
i get like 12 with evox and around 9 with avalaunch

#55 slidellsimba2

slidellsimba2

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:37 PM

doubt if you will but i have no reason to lie
it certainly doesnt make my transfers any faster or slow yours down

and just for the record my xbox connects to its own nic card and i usually disable the internet connection while i transfer anything. i dont know why this is so hard to believe but it is true. if i must i can get some screen shots, but then again you could always say i ps'd them so for those who doubt, dont get too bent out of shape.... not everyone maintains their computer the same as they also dont have the same setup so take it for what you will. i gain nothing by you believing, nor do i lose anything by your doubt.

#56 Howie696

Howie696

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 09:51 PM

uhh.gif Hello everybody. NoOb here. I have connected an xbox (modded with xecutor2 I think) using a crossover cable to my Athlon 2gigXP machine, WinXP sp2. I'm using cuteFTP pro and Evo X dashboard. I'm getting an average transfer rate of between 1 and 1.5 megs (I think thats megabytes, not megabits) from the Xbox to the folder on my PC. From what you've all been saying here that seems a bit on the slow side. I have disabled the windows firewall, but I have left all the other settings as default. Could you suggest anywhere in my setup i might look to possibly increase the transfer rate? Any sage advice you have will be greatly appreciated!

#57 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE(Howie696 @ Dec 2 2004, 01:57 PM)
uhh.gif Hello everybody. NoOb here. I have connected an xbox (modded with xecutor2 I think) using a crossover cable to my Athlon 2gigXP machine, WinXP sp2. I'm using cuteFTP pro and Evo X dashboard. I'm getting an average transfer rate of between 1 and 1.5 megs (I think thats megabytes, not megabits) from the Xbox to the folder on my PC. From what you've all been saying here that seems a bit on the slow side. I have disabled the windows firewall, but I have left all the other settings as default. Could you suggest anywhere in my setup i might look to possibly increase the transfer rate? Any sage advice you have will be greatly appreciated!

View Post

yeah i could use some help too, since day one i never got over about 1800KB/sec

average is around 900KB/sec my nic built on to MB 10/100/1000 set at 100 full duplex, ive try'd a few dashes and a few ftp clients and never reached anything steady over 1500KB/sec, switched 100 full, 100 half, 1000 full, 10 half, 10 full doesnt seem to matter which i choose,

but i dont know the ip to get into my router settings, ill have to search for a default site or something by my router is 4 port router w/uplink port and modem all in one

i gues ill try a secondary nic and use a crosscable and see what happens if i cant find a way to check the router settings

#58 a_DraGoN_Jai

a_DraGoN_Jai

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

i now get 8-14mbps. before i was running around 200kb/s.. by setting my network card to run 100 half duplex mode.( THANKS MR. Ed)!! Using windows xp sp-2 and evox via crossover cable. IN my evox network setting screen my line status shows 100 half duplex mode. Is it possibel to set it to full duplex mode so i can squeese more mB/s outta it???

With large files i manage to achieve 55mb/s using cuteftp pro!!!

Edited by a_DraGoN_Jai, 10 May 2005 - 07:58 AM.

#59 raunchy

raunchy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:30 AM

to the guy that said 5 MByte max
i had a 8 MByte/sec internet connection
tha fastest download speed from an american site to my home
(the netherlands) dry.gif was over 6 MByte/sec love.gif and that was with a bad switch wink.gif between my pc and the modem
and 2 other pc running a internet game on them and all where in 10MB fullduplex mode at that time so ehm blink.gif how mutch do u know about max speeds with networkcards???? just my little input oh and i was using a download manager at the time but that do's not make your card work faster rotfl.gif
not to being a smart*ss now but just wandering wink.gif
(not between xbox and pc i mean by this post so please don't post that the xbox can't go that fast i know that already) iamwithstupid.gif

Edited by raunchy, 03 August 2005 - 02:32 AM.

#60 Daggerx

Daggerx

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

thought id drop a note here..
i get about 6-8
xbox to xbox using ux, I get 10+