bully

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:56 AM

hi people
i heard a rumour on here a while ago that a spectrum emu was being made has any1 heard or know if this is true?.Im not requesting as im awawre of the time and work that goes into producing emulators,but ive been on xbox scene for a bout a year now and would love to see one.
thanks for time in advance!

#2 pike-old

pike-old

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 08:24 PM

We have DreamSpec a non-interactive rolling demo

Aspectrum was being worked on, but nowt ever released.

Dragon was working on a port of something after his Frodo X

But no release to date of anything Spectrum related.

It is bizarre! I can only think that although this machine gave birth to the home gaming market and also started the personal home computer boom in the UK, the rest of the world were not that impressed

Still, strange that this remains a very prominant machine that has yet to be emulated

Call me sad, but some months ago I did have Speccy games running on my X box. As I recall, I used a Gameboy emu, running speccy rom packs running on the Xbox - the result wasn't pretty, but I think I can lay claim to be the first person to be running Speccy games on the X box!

Any news on a release of a decent port???????

#3 Likklebaer

Likklebaer

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:40 PM

I can only think that although this machine gave birth to the home gaming market and also started the personal home computer boom in the UK, the rest of the world were not that impressed

Most of us in the UK were not that impressed either. Despite how nostalgic this machine may be to some ppl, the fact remains that it was inferior in almost every way to both the Commodore 64 and the Amstrad CPC.

If you want to play Spectrum games then in many cases you'll find far more attractive C64 versions running perfectly on Vice-X.
I personally would like to see a CPC emu, but in gameplay terms at least, the C64 versions of the games are not that different and provide enough nostalgia that I'll be happy one way or the other.

#4 frak242

frak242

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:08 AM

Most of us in the UK were not that impressed either.

Now be a fair bear, the humble speccy sold FAR more than the 64 and it brought us a huge selection of classy games. Yes the games which appeared on the more pricey 64 outclassed the spectrum versions but many titles were never ported!.
Maybe I am just another (sad old git? wink.gif ) waiting in hope for a speccy emulator.. well, why not?
As we have the colecovision, Vic 20 and the original gameboy emulated wouldn't it be a shame to miss out on a UK machine which played host to thousands (10k+) of original games?.
the fact remains that it was inferior in almost every way to both the Commodore 64 and the Amstrad CPC.

For every CPC title out there you'll find 10 for the speccy... not only that but it's pure snobbery to dismiss something which was SO important to the UK computer industry.

Maybe we'll see both the Speccy and the CPC emulated on our x-machines one day, here's hoping eh?

#5 pike-old

pike-old

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 06:51 AM

Too true matey, the Spectrum may not have been the best technically of the Speccy, C64 and Amstrad, but it wiped the floor with them in terms of hardware and games sales. Its limitations meant that coders were forced to push the hardware beyond its supposed technical limits...

On the Amstrad, all you had in general was lazy ports and the C64 suffered due to its higher price. To ignore the Spectrum is to ignore the birth of the home computer and to dismiss home gaming at its best

#6 Carcharius

Carcharius

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 08:37 AM

pike - sorry man I can go one better. I believe I was the first person to play a speccy game on an xbox spectrum emulator.

The game was Manic Miner (which was then followed by Treasure Island Dizzy) and the emu - well for now that shall remain nameless! wink.gif (it wasn't my work - I was just helping someone out)

I know DragonZ has been busy away from the scene just lately. But I believe his port is still in the works.

If you can wait a while longer my port of MESS is on the way, which will more than cater for you speccy emu needs!

No ETA yet though but it is progressing.

Carcharius

#7 pike-old

pike-old

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like yours was a pucka Spectrum emulator running directly on the X box.

I, on the other hand was running a Gameboy emu on an X box. The Gameboy emu was then running a Speccy emu and within the Speccy emu it was emulating a speccy rom pack for the games! - so I think i get more points for effort!

Anyway, interesting you mention Mess. I must confess it is just about the only PC emu I've nver (ahem) messed with. Always struck me as a great idea, but I couldn't see how it would come together.

Give me an hour, I'm off to see what sort of mess I can get myself into....

Good luck with the project. If there is anything you need, just drop me a line...

#8 pike-old

pike-old

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 10:12 AM

Blimey, that mess emu is a MAMMOTH project!

Look forward to an Xbox release!

#9 edwardar

edwardar

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 21 November 2003 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, porting MESS would be an amazing achievement - best of luck!

I would love to play some of those old amstrad/spectrum games!

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users