33 replies to this topic

#1 XBOB LIVE

XBOB LIVE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:05 AM

K I just got off the phone with xbox tech and some of my buds. Heres the “official scoop” from the techs at xbox live. BTW Just incase the server is blocking modded users, you have a 30 day return police from target to take it back and say the cd didn’t work. Then you get a new serial number. You will have to cancle your xbox live subscription and loose your gamer tag. But if your fast you can get it back. (did it and got my gamer tag back.. YEA!) K now on to the good stuff. As for the server problem it is true that the server is all messed up. And that it was basically closed today. A lot of users (myself included) have been banned from xbox live until the 15th. After calling tech support many times they finally took down my info (gamertag, serial number …) and called me back. They told me I was banned until the official launch date and that I was lucky to be able to get on at all. You can apparently tell that you have been banned from the server if you cannot connect to xbox live from the settings menu in the dashboard. This is what they are telling me at tech support. As for some games still working they are trying to stop the non beta users from playing those games also until launch. As for some people using retail and still being able to log on they said they don’t want to completely shut down the system but they will basically “pick them off” the next few days. I guess a few thousand users have logged on this weekend that aren’t supposed to be there yet! When I asked them about modded users logging on they didn’t say much except your xbox must be in its original condition to use the service as stated in the lisence agreement… blah blah blah. I tried to be sly and said maybe my xbox was hacked and thats why i couldnt get on to see if they would assure me that there arent any modded consoles on live. dont worry they didnt. what they said in a nutshell was that although they CANNOT stop all modded users from logging into the service, they can protect their customers from the threat of damage to thier consoles and protect thier private information ( i assume this means cc# phone number adress) from being accesed. So the long and short of it is that it is a server problem (for the most part) I don’t know about all these people who says they have tested with mods and no mods. But the fact is i have 2 xboxs both modded, one works and one doesn’t. they are both modded the same way, same bios, same 120 gig hdd, my brother has one that isn’t modded but is reatail and he has the same connection from dashboard problem, and my buddy has the beta, no mod and he can connect from dashboard, but cant connect to a game from the demo disk. He can however as I think almost everyone can play nfl 2k3 without a problem no matter what you xbox live status is. I guess its on a different server or not an ms server or something like that. So really the only one I haven’t come across is a beta tester who cannot connect from msdash. If you are a beta tester you should not have this problem!!! if you do (cannot connect from the dashboard) please post it somewhere.

#2 xdrei

xdrei

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:12 AM

so are u saying that come nov 15 we will all be "unbanned" and given a second chance as long as we play fair (w/o modchip?)

#3 XBOB LIVE

XBOB LIVE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:17 AM

as far as i know we are not banned because of modchips. like i said i have one that works and one that doesnt both modded. so i cant see how it would be because of a modchip. and yes i believe that come the 15 we will all be able to play. now for those of you that cant wait that long look on your hdd for a little easter egg surprise:) when you have been banned and attempt to connect your xbox doesnt send out ANY data at all. so the block is on your hdd. somehow having to do with the xbox date?? i have tried changing it to the 17th but no go. it will automatically change the date back. i am going to try and uplugg my xbox for a while so that when i boot it up it asks me to put in the date again. lol its been a pain in the ass but hey, maybe it will actaully come in handy smile.gif

#4 Snoogans

Snoogans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:17 AM

no, what i think he is saying is that we can still play on live modchip or not, just not until the 15th

#5 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:19 AM

hmm so what were you asking about beta users not being able to access live from the dashboard. I'm a beta user, with enigmah mod (enabled or disabled) that gets the xbox live not found error in the dashboard although I can (like everyone else) play nfl2k3. I thought that was pretty standard for everyone.

#6 Snoogans

Snoogans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:22 AM

i think 2k3 is on its own live server, not run by ms, so there is no ban on it, this is just speculation though

#7 XBOB LIVE

XBOB LIVE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:28 AM

cool im glad someone with beta got banned from the dashboard. i mean not actually glad you got banned or anything like that.. dont take that the wrong way. i think the reason there seem to be quite alot of modded consoles bannned is because they are gearing up for friday. i this this server problem is a good distractionfrom testing the waters. this is totaly my own opinion but i think with people not being able to conenct across the board they could select a few hundred??.. thousand?? people to see if they could ban them using a modchip. maybe they want to make sure that when friday rolls around they can stop us from using modchips, but not accidently get normal people? maybe they want to make sure that they can actually do it and that there isnt a bios out yet that can withstand it?? im not sure. but if you are a beta tester and you cannot log in from the dashboard then i am almost posotive along with the server problems that they are testing out their mod detection smile.gif score one for ms!! i still believe that they will let you on after the 15th without a mod enabled. just be carefull. i dont know what will happen if they get you again!!

#8 Snoogans

Snoogans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:36 AM

i honestly think the servers are being fixed. Nothing more. If you think about it, m$ would lose money going after modders. I mean, if they had to buy a new xbox to connect to live, m$ would be losing money, right?

#9 guboogi

guboogi

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:41 AM

they'd also have to buy real games. but profitability through piracy is a whole other topic...

there are plenty of people who CAN get online (beta or retail) with unmodded systems that it's just too much of a coincidence to think that all servers are down.

#10 Snoogans

Snoogans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:43 AM

well shit...

#11 lucasz

lucasz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:44 AM

Up until now, I've been booting off the 120GB HD I installed. Even copied the XBLive beta CDs to it and ran off the HD. I'm using the ybdash.xbe BIOS with the MS xbdash.xbe still on the drive. I've been able to boot the games off the HD and play online. If I wanted to, I could invoke the MS dash from the EvoX dash. I’m a beta tester and have been using the CD that came in on the 2nd wave.

Games Tested: Xbox Live Connection Tester, MotoGP, Whacked, NFL Fever 2003 Beta, NBA 2K3
Xbox version 4034
BIOS is EvolutionX 2.5
Using the Xodus/Matrix
I have an upgraded HD
I use the EvolutionX dash and I’m having the system boot to yboxdash.xbe.

From the EvolutionX dash, I can invoke the MS Dash. From there, I run the network connectivity tester. It passes the first three tests (Cable connection, IP config, DNS resolution), then fails to connect to the MS servers.

I first tried using the retail CD that just arrived. No such luck. I then tried putting in my original, unmodified hard drive with the Xodus set to disabled. It updated the HD and everything proceeded like a new account. When I try to sign up for a new account (My account is on the upgraded HD), it's unable to connect. Test gives the connect failed message instantly when I run it from the MS dash.

It last worked for me around midnight (Central) on Sunday night/Monday morning. When I tried to connect Monday around 10PM Central, it would take about 15-20 seconds to report that it couldn't connect. Today, it comes back almost instantly saying it can't connect. That tells me that it's not a timeout issue from busy servers. I'm getting rejected. I'll bring home a plain old hub tomorrow and get a network capture of the login and post it on here if I can't discover anything myself. If someone could get a network capture of a successful login and a failed one using the same account, that would be awesome for analysis. If someone has a regular hub (Not a switch) and two Xboxes using the same account (One connects, the other doesn’t) and you are willing to help, just ask for assistance in capturing the network traffic.

I hope you're right and we're getting rejected temporarily. Otherwise, now's the best time to start working this problem out!

#12 Snoogans

Snoogans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:46 AM

i think the best thing to do is wait til friday

#13 pvwr

pvwr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:46 AM

I mean, if they had to buy a new xbox to connect to live, m$ would be losing money, right?

Not quite. As I said at another post, modders who use copies are no good to MS anyway, these units will never make it to the break point, so if people have to buy another XBox to play Live original games, the this unit will make it to the break point, and even better, it will make the other unit even in about a year or two. Last but not least, if 30% of XBox sold so far are modded and half of them are willing to buy a new XBox just to play Live, MS would raise the installed system base in 15% from night to day.

If this is true, they would score twice with a single shoot: completely cut piracy on Live and higher console sales, wich looks nice on comparison charts. blink.gif

here are plenty of people who CAN get online (beta or retail) with unmodded systems that it's just too much of a coincidence to think that all servers are down.

That's exactly what I said on other post. They can have problems with their servers, but these problems are tending to be very selective and affect mostly (if not only) users with modded systems.

#14 Snoogans

Snoogans

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:49 AM

^^^
Just when i was getting my hopes up mad.gif

#15 justinjas

justinjas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 07:50 AM

everyone keeps talking about the money ms looses on buying a new console. Maybe its just me but if ms bans me from xbox live then I prob just won't bother with it. Not that its not fun or anything but it is after all just multiplayer gaming. I mean I was playing nfl2k1 online with my dreamcast and it was pretty much the same gaming experience I've been playing with nfl2k3.

So for me if they ban me I'll just try to get my $50 back (prob not successfully) and they will lose out on the $100 or so they would have gotten from me in the next couple years. As it is I'll have a hard enough time playing through all the games I have cause of my mod chip smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users