#1 kuamuamu

kuamuamu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 05:50 PM

ok, check this out...

I've had some trouble installing evox and using the msdash, etc. I've pretty much had enough of it... my friend Kolk, has his all modded, with apps, roms, etc on it, and i was wondering if i could just backup his HD to my computer, and restore it to MY HD. will this work, or will there be conflict involved?

#2 kuamuamu

kuamuamu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:51 PM

bumping, someone, please reply

#3 MattMan69

MattMan69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 November 2003 - 10:20 PM

Yes should work no problem. I modded a friends box this way. I used HDD driver to make a backup of my HDD then connected my friends HDD to my PC and used HDD driver's restore option to place the backup of my HDD on to my friends HDD. Works like a cherm. CHARM even

Edited by MattMan69, 17 November 2003 - 01:09 PM.

#4 ddaddy

ddaddy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 11:22 PM

Would that still work if the xbox's where different versions and had different version dashboards initially?

#5 Lotmr

Lotmr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (MattMan69 @ Nov 17 2003, 12:20 AM)
Works like a cherm.

HOLY CRAP LIKE A FREAKING CHERM!

Anyways, it probably wont work on diffrent versions. The xbox's would have to have next to the same stats because the HDD Unlocking Key, is keyed to a Xbox by its Dashboard Version, Xbox Version, Bios version and so on. At least thats what i've picked up...

#6 bbjk

bbjk

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:57 AM

hmm... what does the xbox use to unlock the hard-drive? is it the unlocking key number from the hard-drive or is it a code from the motherboard or so? cuz if it's an unlocking key number from the hard-drive, won't the other xbox hard-drive have a different unlocking key number than the one you want to restore on?

#7 Lotmr

Lotmr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:58 AM

exactly my point

#8 MattMan69

MattMan69

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:05 PM

All I can tell you guys is what I did. My HDD was a WD 8gig I used HDD driver to back up the drive. I then removed my XBOX HDD and rebooted my PC with my friends HDD, his was a Seagate 10gig HDD. I opened up HDD Driver and selected the restore option and placed the backup from my WD HDD to his Seagate HDD stuck it in his box and fired it up. Worked without a problem, even the few games I had backed up on the drive worked on his as well. It was like a mirror image of my box.

(NOTE) I only replaced his C and E drive with the C & E from mine.

(NOTE 2) I used the hotswap method to connect both drives to my pc.

(NOTE 3) My box was a v1.1 his was a v1.4)

Edited by MattMan69, 17 November 2003 - 01:07 PM.

#9 PooN

PooN

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:24 PM

I did the same from my xbox to a friends, but I did it thru ftp. I have a copy of my C and E drive on my PC *ALL THE TIME!* So, I just ftp'd to into my friends xbox via 007, deleted his C and E drive, and replace it with mine. Works perfectly fine except for the fact that I forgot to delete my xbox live account from his xbox, so he kept kicking me of xbox live for a couple days after he got his xbox back just for shits and giggles.

--PooN

and my xbox is a 1.0 and his is a 1.3

Edited by PooN, 17 November 2003 - 02:24 PM.

#10 scooby_dooby

scooby_dooby

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:50 PM

it works fine. I modded a 1.3 with a 1.0 backup, works great.

The HD Unlock Key is generated, based on the EEPROM stored on the xbox, and the PHYSICAL characteristics of the harddrive itself, so when you copy one drive to another It doesn't affect the ability of the xbox to unlock the harddrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users