Photo

Which Of The Three 3 X-ecuter2 Adapters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Of The Three 3 X-ecuter2 Adapters

Which Of The Three 3 X-ecuter2 Adapters

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:24 PM

ok i'm just a beginner at soldering. I have soldered wires to loads etc while working on school projects and i have been soldering for about three months. Which adapter would you recommend and please provide a reason which isn't reall necessary since i want to basically know if i will be able to use the adapters other than the pogo pin.

Thanx

#2 Xevious

Xevious

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:28 PM

For your level of experience, I'd forget about the pogos; you can definitely handle one of the soldered solutions.

The 10-wire method is easiest; use this if you're at all squeamish about soldering on your Xbox.

The Header is the coolest solution - you can easily unplug your mod, but why bother? You'll never need to open your Xbox with the X-ecuter 2 Pro. Difficulty is a bit higher, as you'll have to de-solder your LPC header holes first.

So, either soldered solution - your choice. (What, no option "D?") biggrin.gif

BTW, I'm in the process of creating a "how to solder on your Xbox" tutorial; I should have it ready in time for the X-ecuter 2...

#3 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:37 PM

one more thing i have used a solder sucker before but not on circtui boards such as the xbox main boards etc. this is because i haven't soldered on the circuit boards we normally know i have only soldered while making my own circuits on these boards with holes on them to put in the capacitors. thx a lot for the reply Xevious and i really look forward to read your tut about soldering.

#4 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:39 PM

anyone else?

#5 rjm2k

rjm2k

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Xevious @ Nov 13 2002, 10:28 PM)
For your level of experience, I'd forget about the pogos; you can definitely handle one of the soldered solutions.

The 10-wire method is easiest; use this if you're at all squeamish about soldering on your Xbox.

The Header is the coolest solution - you can easily unplug your mod, but why bother? You'll never need to open your Xbox with the X-ecuter 2 Pro. Difficulty is a bit higher, as you'll have to de-solder your LPC header holes first.

So, either soldered solution - your choice. (What, no option "D?") biggrin.gif

BTW, I'm in the process of creating a "how to solder on your Xbox" tutorial; I should have it ready in time for the X-ecuter 2...

Some 1.1 boards don't have solder in the LPC holes, so no desolder required.

#6 Cornholio

Cornholio

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Xevious @ Nov 13 2002, 10:28 PM)
The Header is the coolest solution - you can easily unplug your mod, but why bother? You'll never need to open your Xbox with the X-ecuter 2 Pro.

True, but as you said, it IS cool smile.gif This is probably what i'd go for, just because it looks nice, and may also be more solid/reliable... I've heard horror stories of people managing to rip a wire from the board, and take board traces etc. with it... ugh...

Plus, of course, if some freak accident kills your mod, you can replace it very easily. Unlikely, but...

One more benefit, which may not apply here but... this makes it very easy to test other mod chips before installing them in another box.

#7 Xevious

Xevious

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Cornholio @ Nov 14 2002, 01:34 PM)

One more benefit, which may not apply here but... this makes it very easy to test other mod chips before installing them in another box.

Good point!

I'm going to use the header connector method because it's a helluva lot more elegant than all those wires coming out of the board! No one else will ever see it, but *I'll* know that it's there... biggrin.gif

#8 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 10:42 PM

what do you recommend i use cornhoilio and xevious

#9 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 01:38 PM

sorry need more response

#10 POTF

POTF

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:36 PM

Kreepa are you trying to get us to tell you which to buy or what? Because really it comes down to what you can do, and what you want to do.

#11 angelluss69

angelluss69

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:57 PM

Kreepa this is what I think.

IF YOU GOT V 1.1 DEFINATELY GO WITH THE HEADER CONNECTOR METHOD

ELSE go with your 10-wiring method unless you feel comfortable cleaning up the the V 1.0 Header mess.

If for soem reason you forget how to solder... get the shakes...... and decide to smoke a spliff all at the same time. Go for the Pogo's smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Hope dat helps ya

#12 globalhec

globalhec

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 02:18 AM

When I first modded my version 1 xbox, I choose the PC-BIOXX as it had the fewest solder points. It was a real nightmare, but I managed to struggle through it, and since then I have learned a few things, like to use a real needle point soldering iron, and not a pencil point. Anyway the moral of the story is that I am novice at soldering, but I manged to get it done. Now I am switching to an xbox v. 1.1 (I always have to have the newest, it's just like an obsession with me) and I will be using the Xecuter2 Pro using the header method, I think that anyone with A LOT of patience, will be able to get it done. Just remember to go SLOW, and it should be no problem.

Even if you drop a glob of solder on the board (as I did on my first box) a little bit of patience will help you get it off. Good luck to ya!

#13 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 November 2002 - 04:31 AM

I'd go with the pogo pins, not just because of the simplicity to install, but its 100 times easier to upgrade than a solder mod...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users