#1 Softco Industries

Softco Industries

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:59 PM

I am scared to solder the D0 point, I may using electrical tape around the other points, but I heard you can also tape it. Is this true?

#2 jman33

jman33

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:17 PM

some people use tape. i solder. here is how i do the top d0 point flawlessly and easily every time. whip out your flux. put some on something (i use the twisty tie or the extra header pin from the mod chips i buy. get the flux to make like a point on whatever you are using. then carefully put it into the d0. then put the wire in. then get a small amount of solder and just touch the wire and watch the solder go into the d0 point. then it is soldered and ready to go. very simple and works great. or you can just use the alternative d0 and the back of the mother board. good luck.

#3 nickmv

nickmv

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:17 PM

After almost burning off my d0 point, when i installed a x2 pro in my friend's box, i decided to stuff the wire into the hole. i put electrical tape on top of it. it works pretty well, but occasionally he's had to shake his box because it doesn't contact. i'd reccommend soldering it on if i were you. if u can't do it yourself, get someone else to do it. the stuff-in-hole and elec tape method should be the last option.

#4 Softco Industries

Softco Industries

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 08:27 PM

That's the problem, I can't go to someone else (It's Only D0, Flux Should Be Good) because this IS for someone else (AND ME). He's got a warranty, and I don't. blink.gif

#5 zerovandez

zerovandez

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 04:24 PM

Dude just do the bottem D0 point, message me if u want a diagram of where it's at....

#6 chepnut

chepnut

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:53 PM

I have been digging around the insides of consoles and putting modchips in them since the the days of the ps1 and have easily done at least 50 mod chips for friends and family in that time, but I am in no way a solder expert. But Silver-bearing paste has made the job super easy for the harder to get to smaller as shite solder points.

http://www.radioshac.....uct_id=64-029

I put a dab of it on the end of the wire, put the wire in the spot you want to solder, and with a fine solder tip just tack that bad boy on. The stuff works great for really small spots.

Chepnut

#7 mindspenk

mindspenk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:00 PM

Maybe there is someone who reads this post who is near you. Try posting your location and I am sure someone would help. I would if you were in my neck of the woods.

M

#8 jm_007

jm_007

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:11 PM

my wire never even fittied into the hole on my x 2.2lite lol.

All i did was pre-fill the d0 with solder, tine the wires, then heat the d0 and push the wire into the solder. job done:)

#9 s_cube

s_cube

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:04 PM

I have gone many ways and defintely agree the silvebearing solder is great. then I found flux. and holy cow, that was more than 100% better. in combination they work like a charm.
The needs: silver bearing solder, flux, tiny tip 15W soldering iron (I use 20W w/ a knob to turn it down further). Using these items you should NEVER have to hold the tip down to the board long enough to burn it. If so try getting the solder on the tinned end hot before touching the mobo.
I use a magnifying lens and the smallers precision screwdriver (the eyeglass kind) and delicately scrap off any laquer over the D0 point. Very delicately, not to touch the traces or the tiny solder points right next to your D0!
Next I use a pointy thing. The extra header pin works great at the end of some roachclips. a little flux on the pin dabbed slightly onto D0 through a magnify lens.
I tin the end of my little grey wire and slightly hook the end. I then tape it down. a great picture of this exists in the tutorials somewhere -I guess I could find the link, but the tut. is a long one. the little bend I put in the wire kind of rests on the D0 point. then just delicately dab the soldering iron tip onto the D0 point. I usually just gently poke it. I pindown the wire to the D0 point w/ the iron for about half a second. then I wait a few seconds and do it again. usually by the third time the flux has taken the solder and made a good enough contact.
I was quite amazed at how much easier the flux made the job and would highly recommend anyone to give it a shot!!

s_cube

#10 Devil-Man

Devil-Man

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Softco Industries @ Nov 18 2003, 09:59 PM)
I am scared to solder the D0 point, I may using electrical tape around the other points, but I heard you can also tape it. Is this true?

and your sig says 'possible installation services'
yeah imma tell someone to go to you and afraid of d0.

#11 Softco Industries

Softco Industries

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 09:08 PM

Thanks s_cube and chepnut. I will try that paste, but you still have to heat it with an iron right?

#12 jman33

jman33

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 03:22 AM

if you want i will solder your d0 s for you. flux is your friend. he will help make it easy.

#13 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 November 2003 - 07:01 PM

i have used tape on 3 boxes and never had a problem. i did have to heat al three wires and shove them in to make it more maleable though (sp?)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users